Hard shell case LCRx

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Zopkios

Bearcat
I am a new handgun owner, having just purchased a Ruger LCRx 22LR. But for some reason I cannot find a source for a hard shell carry case. Most sites show pistol cases. Ideal would be a hard shell case specifically for an LCRx. Can anyone recommend a brand and model for about $50?

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum. (y)

Many retail stores here that carry sporting good have suitable hard cases. Not sure they are gun specific though. Even Harbor Freight has a variety or hard cases in different sizes and colors and prices.

There's other options that may be better if you're looking for a case to use as storage.

Zopkios

Bearcat
Welcome to the forum. (y)

Many retail stores here that carry sporting good have suitable hard cases. Not sure they are gun specific though. Even Harbor Freight has a variety or hard cases in different sizes and colors and prices.

There's other options that may be better if you're looking for a case to use as storage.
Will be a shame if I have to settle for a "suitable hard case" rather than one specific to the LCRx. Bigger question, I guess, is given the popularity of this revolver, why aren't there specific cases made?

Zopkios

Bearcat
I have quite an assortment of handguns. Those that live in a hard case live in one that is generic, other than the few that came from the factory in a gun-specific hard case. Even then, they are pretty generic within their handgun offerings.
Really appreciate your reply and now understand. But still, even when seeking a generic handgun hard shell case, everything offered seems to be for pistols. Haven't actually looked at the pistol cases, sure that they would work alright. Just find it interesting.

Screenshot 2023-05-14 at 10-18-20 Ruger® Phoenix Hardshell Handgun Case - 7.png
Screenshot 2023-05-14 at 10-19-07 Ruger® Phoenix Hardshell Handgun Case - 9.png

hittman

Staff member
Some define pistol as any hand gun. There's lots of discussion on that topic. LOL.

If you want the factory correct box the gun came in from the factory, I'd call Ruger.

Zopkios

Bearcat
Screenshot 2023-05-14 at 11.43.33 AM.jpeg

Thanks to all for the helpful replies! Decided to go with this one even though it is for an LCR -- not an LCRx. Will cut foam to suit.

Also, it's not that great of an idea to store a gun of any kind, long term, in a case. Soft or hard. I've seen a lot of older guns that had rust damage to their finish from that practice.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum Zopkios!!!!!!!!

Model specific cases are not always readily available. While a model may be popular,, a different type of case for one may NOT be as desirable as the factory one. And often,, MANY, MANY people just throw away the boxes, cases, or whatever.
Plus,, often,, even factories use a more generic type of case,, as a cost savings in the manufacturing end.
Add in the fact that a gun can rust, or whatever inside a lot of cases due to humidity & the changes in temperature (going from inside a home to a hot car to back in a A/C environment) deters folks from buying hard cases.

In general,, most folks store a firearm in a safe, and in a manner to allow the humidity NOT cause a problem. We use hard cases more for transport than storage.

And due to the fact that most of us own several different firearms,, having an individual case for every gun can get expensive.
Plus,, we often accessorize a gun with different grips or whatever, and then the gun many not fit the case properly.

All this is a way of explaining that SALES of model specific cases is lower than you'd think. But generic types of cases do just fine for the majority of folks.