LCR/LCRx info wanted

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldcrab

Bearcat
Hi
I'm leaning towards buying either an LCR or LCRx, either the 38 special or 357 Mag models, but will be only shooting 38 special in the revolver.

I see that I can get either the 2 or 3-inch barrel, and if I buy the 357 mag caliber, the weight goes up because the frame will be stainless steel rather than aluminum.

This will be a concealed-carry gun for close-in work, not for 25-yard target practice, so I guess I wouldn't need the adjustable rear sight models.

What did you decide on, and how is it shooting, and are you happy, or do you have some regrets?

Thanks for any recommendations you can pass my way.

Have a great weekend!

hittman

Staff member
I bought the 357 mag LCR model and it was okay.

Then the 38 Special came to be at a super cheap "Black Friday" price when they first came out. It had a red fiber optic front site and was MUCH lighter.

I sold the 357 and have kept and carry the 38.

harley08

Blackhawk
I have the Ruger LCR .38 special +P
I bought the Ruger holster for it.
Great gun, and light!

planetcat

Single-Sixer
Good luck finding a 3" lcrx in .357. I've been looking for months. If it was for carry, I'd go with the shorter one.

9x19

Hunter
In the short barrel model, my wife has the LCR 38, and I have the LCRX 38. She carries standard pressure loads in hers, I carry +P in mine. I think they are just about perfect carry-guns.

In the 3" LCRX, I have one in each of the four chamberings, and the added heft of the .357 does help some with the recoil, but it will still remind you to pay attention to your grip. :D

hittman

Staff member
Speaking of range ( and plinking ) I'd like to look at the 3 inch 22LR but have yet to see one locally in person.

I pocket carry a .38+P LCR every day. Like you said, it's not gonna be used for anything where the sights even matter so the lighter .38 was my choice. My wife has a Hogue laser grip on her LCR that works perfectly but the grip is the same size as the original finger grip, I prefer the Bantom grip for pocket carry.

oldcrab

Bearcat
I really appreciate all the great comments on the LCR and LCRx.... Really helping me form some better understanding on the trade-offs!

Hankus

Blackhawk
In the short barrel model, my wife has the LCR 38, and I have the LCRX 38. She carries standard pressure loads in hers, I carry +P in mine. I think they are just about perfect carry-guns.

In the 3" LCRX, I have one in each of the four chamberings, and the added heft of the .357 does help some with the recoil, but it will still remind you to pay attention to your grip. :D
My .357 SP101 has to be gripped securely even with 158gr practice rounds. I carry it with Liberty Ammunition ( made locally!) 90gr aluminum rounds.

Initially bought the LCR .38. I didn't like the recoil and I wasn't pocket carrying. I sold it and bought the .357. Shot .38 at the range most of the time and carried Speer Gold Dot 135gr Short Barrel .357, not the .38 +P. The .357 has 82 more fpe than the .38 +P and is very manageable. These were both the 1 7/8" models and the 4 oz. difference in weight didn't matter IWB. For pocket carry the .38 with the bantam grip would be the better choice-actually a Smith J frame may be the better choice for pocket carry. It is just a bit smaller for easier pocket carry. When I pocket carry it is a Ruger LCP Custom, the original LCP but with actual sights. You could carry two of these in the same pocket compared to the LCR. I later got a Kimber K6S which was more accurate then the LCR but I never liked it like I did the .357 LCR. I've been selling most of my .357 revolvers and staying with 9mm, 556 and 22lr to keep this cheaper and easier to stock. I've been thinking (always dangerous and expensive) about another LCR but in 9mm. I have a LCR .22lr short barrel I use to practice DA trigger control. Great trainer for a larger caliber LCR.

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
I have 4, a 9mm, .38 and a .22 mag in LCR form and a .38 in LCRx form.
All in 2inch barrel. I'd like a .357 just to even out the set. My favorite of
them is the LCRx with 135 gr +P Gold Dots. Shoots like this. I actually
killed a coyote with it at about 30 yards. I don't know who was surprised
more, me or him.
1.jpg

DSCN2625.jpg

Usually carried like this
7-11-22.jpg

Dano

I hope I'm not getting too far off from the OP discussion, I know everyone already knows it but not that many actually take advantage of it. LCR's have longer grips available, and that makes them easier to control. I have a few of what people call pocket guns, though I would never pocket carry without a pocket holster. To me it's my NewYork reload. Although, since I mostly carry a small semiautomatic an extra mag is lighter than a five shooter. When it comes to revolvers, in truth my favorite is my SP101 and with that what I prefer is the 357 mag loads, whether it's wondering for a walk, or just in the woods. Not many revolvers benefit more from better grips than the SP101. On mine I have both Trausch grips (which are hard to find) and Hogues whether with a rubber cover or the harder grips that won't catch a shirt quite as easily. Bottom line take advantage of good grips that give more control, and that's what it takes to hit your target. You don't need to be thinking that's going to really whack my knuckle. With my paw almost every thing doors.

mjh

Single-Sixer
I bought the LCR in .357 because I wanted it to match up with all my other revolvers in being able to shoot .38 or .357 out of it. I've never had a problem shooting .357 out of my SP 101 or larger revolvers. I found the LCR no fun to shoot in .357. Really does not get used. When I find another SP that I want I'll likely sell/trade to get the SP.

I had 5 at one time. Still have short barreled 38 and 22 plus 3" LCRx in 38. The 3" is what I usually carry as a trail gun. My wife keeps the 22 with a laser sight on her side of the bed. I usually carry a Max-9 for EDC but sometimes carry the shorter 38. The centerfire LCR's have the best trigger pull of any other snubbies that I have shot. They are very shootable at their intended ranges.