GUNBLAST.COM Review of new Ruger American Bolt Rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Hope that's true, since Saab automotive is filing for bankruptcy an essentially going under. ;)

ECVMatt

Bearcat
I am going to have to get a .243 as soon as they are available. I need a less expensive rifle for a truck gun and was not impressed by the Axis and other similar brands. I hope this is more what I am looking for. Can't wait to see one on the dealer's shelves.

tek4260

Buckeye
Am I the only one that is left feeling a bit cold when a company introduces something nearly identical to another company's offerings and acts like it really is new and innovative? Should I be excited or should I feel like they are ripping off something and re-branding it(think Kel-Tec or Savage/Tikka in this case).

With that said, I would like a Tikka T3 and will probably buy one when I see one on the shelf. I'd pass on this rifle just because I feel like it is a rip-off. Same reason I'd buy a Kel-Tec over an LCP.

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
tek4260 said:
Am I the only one that is left feeling a bit cold when a company introduces something nearly identical to another company's offerings and acts like it really is new and innovative? Should I be excited or should I feel like they are ripping off something and re-branding it(think Kel-Tec or Savage/Tikka in this case).

With that said, I would like a Tikka T3 and will probably buy one when I see one on the shelf. I'd pass on this rifle just because I feel like it is a rip-off. Same reason I'd buy a Kel-Tec over an LCP.

I get that, and I was kind of feeling the same way about this and the new 22 pistol (and ARs, 1911s etc). At least until I thought about it for a minute. Really, Ruger has done the same thing before. The Blackhawk is a total Colt ripoff. However, in that case Ruger brought high volume manufacturing techniques (low price) to the table, as well as a few design improvements. Maybe these new offerings seem just a bit too much "me too". I find the gun to be ugly, but ugly is as ugly does. Any rifle which shoots little bitty groups, has a nice crisp 3 pound trigger and costs $350 or so can get away with being as ugly as it wants.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
You young guys can hunt with ugly rifles if you want. It's not for me. I have enough flatbolts to cover any base I need for the rest of my life.

I went through that stage at one point. I owned several Remington 788s. All shot very well. But, they didn't feel as well in the hand, or pleasing the the eye, so I eventually sold them annd bought more M77s.

To each his own.

I'm sure both Ruger and Walmart will do well with this new Ruger rifle. There will probably be young guys pawning grandpa's flatbolts to fund the new Ruger American.

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
If they can be had for $350. or so, I'd consider one in .243 for my wife. I would have more confidence in buying a low-end Ruger than a similar one made by Mossberg, Savage Axis or such.

Jeff

dgoalie

Bearcat
If this is made in a youth configuration I will snap up a couple. I still love my M77s, but my son will be able to shoot centerfire rifles soon. I was thinking a gunsite scout, but for half the price I can get him into something to start with. The looks of this thing beat the Savage in my eyes, and I'd rather buy something with the Ruger name on it.

DPris

Buckeye
The Blackhawk is a total Colt rip-off?
OK, like the GP100 is a total S&W rip-off?
And the M77 is a total Mauser rip-off?

Don't see that. :)
Denis

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
I imagine the rifle will have a great feel with the light weight and the (X-bolt) magazine blending into the (X-bolt styled) stock. I really like the rounded carrying point of the Browning X-bolt as Ruger obviously does, too. Heck, the receiver even looks like an X-bolt! An X-bolt function and accuracy at half the price. Not bad.

steenroller

Bearcat
A friend of mine bought one of the Remington $350 bolt actions in 3006. The action was rough and it looked bad but it could shoot. This rifle may be the same and as some people have already mentioned it would make a good beater. I probably will not buy one since I like the Model 77 but I do want to take a look at them when they come out. If I need a rifle for a truck gun this one may be a good choice.

Kudu m77

Single-Sixer
It reminds me of the TC Venture, looking at the action and stock. I think at the price it is a good buy and it is made by Ruger.

This might just get Ruger a bunch of new customers.

Pieter

pezdukie

Bearcat
Kudu m77 said:

Pieter

I'll be buying one. I was debating between my next purchase being my first hunting rifle (Ruger Gunsite Scout) or my first 1911 (Ruger SR1911), but the announcement of this changes everything. I'll be getting the 30-06 Ruger American AND the Ruger SR1911 :D :D

I am, for the most part, a nice wood stock kind of guy; but for half the price with nice features, a reputable manufacturer, and good accuracy; I'm all-in

Grabagun.com has it initially listed at $326.84. That is just too low to pass up

Joe S.

Hunter
Kudu m77 said:

Pieter
i agree!! In todays economy ya gotta go with what sells and 7-1000$ guns aint selling like 3-400$ guns are.

Otony

Blackhawk
I will probably pick one up in .243 for the kids. Looks decently made, certainly better than the plastic Remingtons folks keep referring to.

And if some vendors do make barrels to fit the barrel nut system, I would consider rebarreling it to .257 Roberts for the kids, much better overall than the .243 chambering. At the expected price it will certainly be affordable enough.....