Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
Here's the link:
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-American.htm

DSC02851.JPG

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Not big on synthetic but it appears to be a nice rifle that fills a niche Ruger didn't have previously. Attractive packaging and marketing did their job with this one. :) Going head to head with Savage with this one.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
It is priced pretty competitively with the Savage Axis, which is also a great rifle at a bargain price, but the Ruger American has the better trigger. Savage does not put the AccuTrigger on the Axis, reserving that trigger for their higher-end models.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I'd love to see this in a shorter barrel. Nice starter gun or youth gun so you don't need to worry about them bumping up a walnut stock.

Great review, Jeff. Now when it comes out in 7mm-08 I will be ordering. The Savage Axis is a very similar rifle, but the downside is a horrible trigger. Ruger should hit another homerun with this one.

Mike

lark63

Single-Sixer
I bought the Savage Edge- Now Axis- in 243. Very good rifle for the money. The trigger is fine for me.
The trend is adjustable triggers on everything.
Nice entry gun from Ruger though.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Holy mackerel....you got a 5/16" group (practically 1/4" MOA) right out of the box with this thing!!!!!!

again...WOW

Wonder if that will be par for the course or yours was tested before it went out of the factory?

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
I_Like_Pie said:
Holy mackerel....you got a 5/16" group (practically 1/4" MOA) right out of the box with this thing!!!!!!

again...WOW

Wonder if that will be par for the course or yours was tested before it went out of the factory?

Yep, with standard off-the-shelf ammo and a 3 to 9 scope. I credit the rifle, the scope, the ammo, and the solid rest. All those things have to work together to achieve superb accuracy. Over the years, all have improved a lot, to the point that even an inexpensive rifle such as this Ruger American can shoot far better than the premium rifles of a couple of decades ago.

Jeff

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Takes someone knowing what they're doing behind the trigger too Jeff. :) Nicely done! 8)

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the writeup and link. Wow Ruger!! Bill would roll in his grave but I like it. A Ruger answer to the vintage Rem 788, Stevens 200, Savage Axis, Remington 770, Marlin XS, and the Mossberg ATR. It will never be a Hawkeye but for an entry level, throw in the truck, carry on the atv, paint it rifle it looks great to me. From the way it is designed/made it looks like it will be a real shooter. I would like to see .223, .204, 22/250, and a 6.5 Swede or .260 available. At any rate it has a barrel nut barrel mounting system so aftermarket barrels of most any caliber compatible with the mags should pop up soon. Just what I need-another rifle that I want to buy. I will be waiting on a couple of the calibers I mentioned but may have to roll my own. TTT

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Re-watched the video and realized I missed before that this takes standard mounts and not the Ruger style. Interesting they're more or less pushing folks away from their own products in doing so.

BlkHawk73 said:
Re-watched the video and realized I missed before that this takes standard mounts and not the Ruger style. Interesting they're more or less pushing folks away from their own products in doing so.

I am sure you will be able to buy the correct rings to go with the Weaver style bases on shopruger.com....just another revenue stream for them.