gun lube

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Used to use Hoppe's or Outers' gun oils that came in their cleaning kits. They had all kinds of claims about being "polarized" and who knows what even decades ago. They worked a half century ago when I first learned of them. Still do.

Then folks started advising the use of CLP-type products. Turns out, they've been around for decades, too. Whatcha 'spose the "3" in "3-IN-ONE" oil stands for? Lots of old timers used it. I'm turning into one of them... ;)

After that, the boutique blends started showing up. Most look to me to be a great way to leverage your money (IF you're the seller!): buy a $6 quart of decent oil of some sort, rebadge and put it in one or two ounce containers, write up some good ad copy and sell each of 'em for $4-$7. Do the math... beats the stock market!

What I've learned--for my own uses, at least--is having "something" on the affected surfaces is generally far more important than "what" that something is, and a lot of the complaints about "gooey" or "dirty" lubes probably have their basis in putting too much of that something on. A Q-tip, w/ a few drops of whatever one's chosen oil is, wiped delicately across the appropriate mating surfaces usually does just fine for me.

But YMMV, and someone will always make a buck on your choice. No worries, though: I don't think in today's market anyone's gonna sell you a "bad" product!

Rick C

Latest posts