Gripframe fiting question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cgb

Bearcat
I am fitting a steel gripframe to a single six. This is my first time trying this(I love a good project). I got it real close with files, and am ready to do the final blending. Is this done with abrasive paper and a block? Do I get it flush with coarse and blend it all in with fine? Just asking before I take the next step.

I stay with the files, but same thing go down to a very FINE, and keep the metal "proud" on the grip frame till you get it that close, then the block ( or even the paper wrapped around the file ,use a WIDER file, more controllable.then finer and finer paper, I use an 'aluminum oxide' paper for the "finish work"........sounds like your doing a good job, take your time, and neatness counts......................

gunhacker

Bearcat
Not trying to hijack the thread... I just replaced the grip frame on my OM Blackhawk with an "in the white" Old Army steel grip frame, and I'm at the same stage.

What grit do you take the final finsh down to for getting bluing results that closely match the factory blued cylinder & barrel... 320, 400 ?

flatgate

Hawkeye
I think 320 does a pretty good job.

52401013.jpg

The cylinder frame and steel grip frame don't match very well. Hmm, well, one was made in '61 and the other in '98....... :D

flatgate