GP 100 accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jim8115

Bearcat
Just bought a new GP 100 6" stainless.357 .......Really impressed with overall fit/feel/trigger, etc...But it doesnt seem all that accurate. My smith model 67 4" can easily outshoot it.......any comments/suggestions?

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
Have gotten 1!/4" groups at 15yds with mine with reloads, standing. Try some different ammo, the single action triggers on the rugers aren't as good as the smiths, IMO, may take some getting use to. Hotter loads seem to shoot better in my 357's.

5of7

Hunter
So do some don't. It is much the same with most revolvers. That is why the custom makers line bore the cylinders to the bore, The major manufacturers don't take those pains.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
I would look at everything else but the gun itself, If there's one thing the GP's usually excel at is accuracy.
Jeff Quinn at GunBlast just stuck a 3" GP100 in a Ramson Rest and it shot a sub 1/2 group at 25 yards with the right ammo.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=124884
Sal

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
'Break-in' the gun and bore with about 500 jacketed rounds and then check accuracy again. As mentioned a spring job can make a big difference as well as smoothing the action up. Those guns are usually very accurate. If you continue to have accuracy problems you might need to call Ruger for service. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

Did you try various shooting styles? For example double action vs single action, for an accuracy comparison? What about having someone else shoot it? I'm sure you know your way around pistols, I'm just thinking about the different sights on the Ruger vs. the Smith you mentioned.

By the way welcome to the forum. I joined when I bought a GP100 also. I just wanted to read about it. This site is addictive though, there have been many Ruger revolvers since.

greener

Single-Sixer
jim8115 said:
Just bought a new GP 100 6" stainless.357 .......Really impressed with overall fit/feel/trigger, etc...But it doesnt seem all that accurate. My smith model 67 4" can easily outshoot it.......any comments/suggestions?

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure what you mean by "outshoot it" I'd need a better description of what you are seeing.

I have a GP100 4". It is a very consistent shooter and when I do the aiming part it's pretty darn accurate.

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
Good idea to have a friend whos a good shot try it, that'll narrow it down quick. I have a friend whom I use as a ransom rest. If I buy something new and want to see what it can do I hand it to him. I've found most guns shoot at least pretty good and most quality guns shoot really well.

Tony_The_Liger

Bearcat
On some model, the rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation. It may be sighted in for a different load. Take it to the range with your favorite carry ammo and tweak it!

jim8115

Bearcat
greener said:
jim8115 said:

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure what you mean by "outshoot it" I'd need a better description of what you are seeing.

I have a GP100 4". It is a very consistent shooter and when I do the aiming part it's pretty darn accurate.

By outshoot, I mean with the 4" model 67, I can shoot groups with all shots touching, or almost touching, right on target from 25 feet...with the ruger, my groups were probably 3 inches or more at the same distance

greener

Single-Sixer
jim8115 said:
greener said:
jim8115 said:

Welcome to the forum.

By outshoot, I mean with the 4" model 67, I can shoot groups with all shots touching, or almost touching, right on target from 25 feet...with the ruger, my groups were probably 3 inches or more at the same distance

I didn't ask if you were shooting it DA or SA. If you are shooting double action, the GP100 has a different trigger feel that will throw you off for a while. SA, only minor differences. Barring barrel, cylinder fit problems, I'd just shoot the GP for a while until you acclimate.

I did well immediately with the GP100. Single action was great but it did take me a while to get accustomed to the double action trigger. Now, I shoot it almost exclusively double action.

SamV

Buckeye
Very accurate for me. I usually have about a 2 inch hole after fifty or sixty shots at 50 feet standing. I am not even trying hard and I am not really that good. The gun makes me look better.

jdmgwaps

Bearcat
Mine shot so well my friend wants to get one now too. Dont know about the accuracy aprt. And this is brand new 6inch stainless with less than 100 rounds.

jim8115 said:

I have an older 1/2 lug 6" GP100. It was shooting awful with 38 spec (Winchester and Rem bulk) - ~3" groups at 10 yards standing double action.

With 357 Mag, it was a different story altogether - ~1" (Winchester and Rem bulk packs again), and less than that with handloads.

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
Had very similar results today. .38 specials were not very good at 45 feet, but when I went to the .357 magnum Remingtons, it was a different story altogether. I managed a very consistant, and fairly tight group. (about 1.5 radius, or within a 3inch circle). When I moved the target out to the range maximum of 25 yards, I was still very pleased with 12 out of 12 shots in the black, center mass on a life size silhouette. I have a new 4" GP100, and this was my second time out with it. At 75 feet, and with my eyesight, the sights pretty much covered most of the target. I couldn't be happier with this gun.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
Mine was so accurate that I decided to mount a scope on it and take it hunting.

GP-100a.jpg

And I an not talking about accuracy at 25 yds, but 50 to 100 yds.

I am reloading a 180 gr. XTP and using WC820 powder. this was at 50 yds:

IMG_0295.jpg

AS you can see, not too shabby!