Gonna use 22/45s in bullseye - but need help with Daisy 777

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Retread

Bearcat
I'm about to start a senior career in bullseye shooting with my two 22/45s. I'm sure questions will come up soon about one of those guns. I've started practice at home using a Daisy 777 air gun that I bought over 30 years ago and have rarely used. Last night the pellets began to saunter off towards the target real slowly. I expected this and think it's probably some seals (?) in a three decade old gun.

Any advice on the best way to bring this old practice pellet gun back into shape? I really hope to use it a lot. Anyone think of any web sites that might be a help?

I didn't know where else to post, but figured since I'm shooting the two Ruger .22 pistols, I might try here.

Thanks

We don't know your location, but in Oregon, there is a company that's been in business since forever that specializes in rebuilding air/Co2 guns. And although yours is not an antique, I have had some vintage air and C02 guns rebuilt by them. They have the parts, and certainly the expertise, and they're quite reasonable.

So...In the low-percentage chance that you might be in Oregon, these guys are great.

http://www.olliedamons.com/airgunpricing.htm

Also, in the event the seals, cups, or wipers are not damaged, a little airgun oil can quickly revive a tired air gun. Lookee here...

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/08/fixing-daisy-avanti-747-i-hope.html

WAYNO.

winchester37

Single-Sixer
if the daisy has not been used much recently, perhaps the seals on the air piston have dried out, allowing air to bleed off before you fire the shot. try a really small amount, less than a drop, on the felt seals visible when you open the charging handle fully. after oiling the felt washers, work the handle several times to spread the oil on the felt.

if that does not cure the problem, you can ship the 777 back to Daisy for service, I believe it costs $35, check out Daisy's website.

Retread

Bearcat
It seems like the first thing I need to do is get some oil in the right place(s). I've never lubed this gun so it must be dry. Am going to search for the original tube of lubricant that came with the gun. If not what other kind of oil will be safe and effective? Time isn't a big issue to I might find some oil by Daisy for the purpose.

Thanks for the link and the information.

Retread

Bearcat
Amazing photos. Thank you.

I'm intimidated by looking over other photos of this breakdown. These are about as good as photos could be. Still looks complicated but haven't yet gotten into the details.