Front sight install question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ned

Single-Sixer
I have an early model Auto Ord 1911, before Kahr. The front sight fell off. I paid a gunsmith to silver solder it back on...but if fell off again on 10th shot...decided not to go to him again. All the other smiths in Tucson and environs are booked out months...it is a rectangular slot...not a dove tail. Think JB weld would work? Other ideas? I wouldn't mind a fiber optic if I could find something. Could pay a smith to cut in a dove tail but this really is a truck gun so hate to spend another $300 on it.
Ned
1648507186141.png

I think you will find that the front sight of a 1911 is actually "swaged" in place, the tenon of the blade is in the slot and the portion sticking t hrough to the bottom is swaged with a special tool, forcing the metal outward..at least thats how we used to install them years ago..............then a few years later the Millett sights were "staked".:cool:;)

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Each of the times I've used JB Weld it has done the job very well. My only concern would
be getting the surfaces super clean before you try it. - - - I think I would also have a small
clamp to hold the sight firmly as the JB Weld cures (not tight, just firm).

I put a "D" type drawer pull on one of the Stainless Steel 32oz drink cups. The instructions
said to let it cure some number of minutes. I let it cure over night and six years later it is
still working perfectly. (y)

That sight is called a staked on front sight. It was done that way by JMB back when he designed the 1911. The tenon (the square piece below the sight) goes through the hole (mortise) in the slide and then is flattened into the hole with a staking tool. The tool flattens the tenon into the void in the slide and if done correctly the sight will not come loose. Then the area is smoothed with a file (or a Dremel nowadays) so it doesn't interfere with the barrel bushing. I would think that most any gunsmith, or anyone who owns one or more GI 1911's, would have one. It's really not hard to install with the right tool.

Latest posts