First firearm purchase- Ruger Mark IV

Help Support Ruger Forum:

YosemiteSam

Bearcat
I recently completed my handgun safety class & am going to purchase the Mark IV (shot an older version during training, probably closest to the new Target or 22/45?).

My question is- which of the 6 versions to choose? Price is definitely a factor; would like to keep it low.

Regarding materials and reliability/longevity, are there any advantages to choosing one model over the other?

I like the sights on the Hunter model- but if I buy the Target model to keep the cost down, what would it cost to change the front sight?

My primary uses will be just for fun at the gun range and improving my accuracy. Down the line there's a chance I will do some light competition at an outdoor range nearby.

Thanks.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Watch Gun Broker, there are sometimes new MKIVs that slip through the cracks and sell for much lower than they should have. Think Shopruger.com has replacement sights as an accessory?

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest getting the target model, and shoot it a lot. With the stock sights. After you get used to it, then you can figure out if you need to get different sights.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

I have to ask,, where are you from? Was a handgun safety class a requirement? Just asking.

Next,,, if possible,,, get your hands on the various models of the MK IV & see which one feels the best in YOUR hands. A few dollars difference will not be remembered if you get the one you like the best,, over one that isn't "quite what you wanted."

As for materials & durability,,, all will be just fine.

Sights are easily swapped out.

Fun shooting,, that can lead to light competition being the idea,,, I'd spend the money got the one that fits & feels the best you you. As long as it's an adjustable sight model.

Contender has offered good advice. I feel the best way to learn to shoot a handgun is with a 22 pistol. You learn to SHOOT w/o the distraction of all the noise and recoil. What I'll add is: I've found the fiber optic sights aren't the best choice for most target shooting. Yes, they make aiming somewhat easier in limited light conditions while hunting but don't offer the precise alignment qualities of the flat top post and square notch sights.
In fact, when teaching new users to shoot, I've been using a red dot mounted pistol. This removes the frustration and distraction of maintaining front/rear sight alignment while teaching trigger control and steady hold. I'm a senior citizen and am losing my visual ability to handle handgun sights for extended ranges. The red dot allows me to forgo this important issue and deal with holding the dot on the target.

"If you're willing, a used pistol can save you some money. I've seen several used MKIVs for sale already."
This is more good advice. I shot Ruger pistols for decades before owning a new one.

RandyP

Bearcat
Regarding longevity of the various models - I strongly suspect that they will all begin to start to wear out after a scant 100,000 rounds or so and might require replacement of a $10 part?

My Browning Buckmark had the plastic recoil buffer (about $3) fail after only 60-70,000 rounds. Darn cheap junk - lol

Seriously however - if a person could afford all the ammo it would take to actually "wear out' a modern firearm? They could also more than well afford to buy a new one or have the old one repaired.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Whichever you choose, making a Ruger your first is a smart move. I'll swim upstream on the issue of new/used. Used guns can depreciate rapidly and often ARE a better value. But, that assumes an experienced shooter who knows what snakes in the grass to look for. On an inexpensive gun like a MKIV I would recommend a brand new, in the box gun. Keep in mind if that gun ever needs factory service, Ruger won't do much for you if they find any sign of abuse or non Ruger parts installed. Likewise, if cost is an issue, forget about a sight swap at first. Fancy aftermarket sights can be 10% the price of the gun. And, one other tip, first trip to the range make sure you have several different brands of ammo. You are likely to discover that your gun likes some and some it doesn't. This phenomenon is common to most every 22 semi auto. Ask a hundred of us here which load is best and you are likely to get a hundred different answers. You need to discover which one YOUR gun digests without a hiccup.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Agree with all the above. I'll add that you should get on the Ruger site, and download the user manual(s) for the model(s) you are considering - before you buy. http://ruger.com/service/productHistory.html#pistol . They will help inform your decision.

Some semi-auto .22's will not cycle standard velocity, or "quiet" ammo, for example, and the manual will specify the type of ammunition to be used with that model.