Finding Reloading Components Locally

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
Have any of you reloading guys (or gals) having trouble finding reloading components to purchase locally? I've been trying to find powder around my home for the past two weeks to reload both .223/5.56 and .308 cases. Finally located what I needed about 60 miles away, and was able to place an order online yesterday for pick up this morning. Purchased an 8 lb jug of CFE223; 2 ea 1 lb cans of Varget (still had 1 1/2 cans still available); and several bricks of Winchester primers. I'm good to go for awhile now. What have you experienced since this Covid 19 pandemic? Is there going to be a shortage of ammo or components state wide?

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Haven't tried. Last time I was in a gun shop was maybe 5 weeks ago and then I walked in signed the form and walked out with my new tax stamp.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I went to Bass Pro in March. Powder shelves bare. A good choice on Hornady bullets. Then ordered AA-9 from Midway. ($11.00 Haz Mat fee). Next stop was my LGS. I bought 3 bricks of Federal primers, small pistol and Large Rifle. Bullseye and True Blue powder was added to bill. I checked another gun shop/indoor shooting range. I found 2400 powder in good supply. In April, I went to gun dealer in my home town. 3031, WLP primers left with me. I made 2 trips, I bought more powder,, forgot which one now. More Hornady XTP’s .452”, also. Depends where I go, but, I’m good for a few years. And I did fire a couple hundred rounds in the afternoons, after turkey hunting. Missouri stops at 1 pm. The powder that escaped my memory was for 5.56. Mini-14’s like to eat alot.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Next week, Sierra Bullets outlet store in Sedalia, MO is supposed to be open. About the only place I can find .41 slugs. Midwayusa. has been out of many of my favorites. Then Missouri Cast Bullets is on the way. Lake City sells M 193 and M 855 at the local stores.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

My components dealer is wholesale to the public and moves a lot of product thru his store. Last time I visited (4-5 wks ago) he had a 10 lb limit on powder, and 3000 limit on primers. It was his last day before shutting down for a couple of weeks to try to get inventory back up. He reopened a couple of weekends ago, still has the 10 lb limit on powder, and is running out of everything that's popular, with primers down to 2000 per day. He sells a lot of Extreme plated bullets, and waiting time for his orders to come in have been running close to a month on them. He says he never knows what he's gonna get from anybody because the supply pipeline is overrun right now.

Rick C

“Is there going to be a shortage of ammo or components state wide?”

I’d say there already is. Tried finding any 9mm ammunition for sale recently? There’s none to be had at the local hardware store gun counter, and the other local shop only sells two boxes to people buying a 9mm pistol. The hardware store is sold out of just about every other popular handgun caliber cartridge. Handguns too, in fact. Lots of first-time buyers.

Online merchants are short on supplies too.
This isn’t a good time to be trying to stock up on ammo.

gunzo

Buckeye
I haven't looked for myself, but know that certain powders were scarce before the pandemic.

Anybody that shoots regularly or same with reloading is going to have to keep larger inventories. How far out to project is any ones guess.

I no longer bother buying an x number of bullets if I don't have the powder or primers to go with them. I've never seen anything so volatile & do not predict it to stabilize. It might get better,,,, for a time, but you can bet your last dollar that it will blow apart again & again.

contender

Ruger Guru
Locally, like many places, ammo and reloading components have been scarce for popular calibers. I have a guy who's a longtime shooter & shotgunner. He knows a lot about shotgun reloading etc,, so he's not a "newbie." But he is seeking help from me on reloading for his 357 Sig & such. He's learning,, and has been trying to find powder & primers. I just got a text from him last night saying the 5000 primers he ordered finally arrived. He's awaiting powder now.

But I've always kept a good stock of supplies for myself,, so I'm not affected by the latest surge in buying stuff.

57springer

Buckeye
Everything is hard to get, even brass . Most popular dies are hard to find , I added a 222. rem. to my collection. It took 2 months to get everything I needed to reload this caliber . I am glad to be in buissness 8)

XP100

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
There are no reloading supplies around where I live anymore. I have to order online for everything.

I was thinking about opening a shop when I moved to FL. When I moved I had a shop on the same property as my home. It is very hard to find a place her that you can do that. I checked and found places to rent were 800 - 1200.00/month plus all the rest of the costs, water, elec, ins etc. and the fact Fl charges 450.00 for a license to sell powder. Didn't take long to forget that idea. I knew I would not sell enough to pay all the expenses.

loaded round

Hunter
For anyone living in SW Pa, I can highly recommend Shyda's Sport Shop in Lebanon, Pa for all your reloading needs. See my original post of the supplies picked up Friday morning. Shyda's is located about 60 miles from center city Phila. about 10 min from the Lebanon exit of the Pa turnpike. Good prices too!

I was in a reloading store back in March, last time I went to any store really. But then anyway, they had plenty of supplies. I bought what I needed, and the guy at the counter did say he reminds everyone, this is an election year and tells them to remember what happened during the last election year.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
loaded round said:
For anyone living in SW Pa, I can highly recommend Shyda's Sport Shop in Lebanon, Pa

Hi,

I've never ordered reloading supplies from them, but Shyla's did help me out with a scarce choke tube tool a couple of years back. Good guys!

Rick C