Finally Mark IV Hunter on the way

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Guy's / Gal's,
When these first came out I tried to get a Mark IV Hunter model. I had it on order for a while then just gave up on it and took the money that I paid down on it and bought a Single Six Hunter. No regrets on that purchase at all, very accurate with that revolver. Finally went in to the LGS looking at 22's my favorite caliber to shoot. Really had nothing that I was interested in. I asked if he could get a Mark IV Hunter for me. He looked it up and said that they had two different models in stock. One was the regular Mark IV Hunter the other was the same but called the Target model. I asked about the difference between the two Hunter models. He did not know. He said that the sights and everything appeared to be the same. I had him order me the Target model. It will be in this Monday he thinks (3-5-2018). When I got home I looked the two models up and found out the target model comes with target grips. I wish I had known that before ordering it. I would have preferred the regular grips. I have smaller hands and think the target grips will be to fat for my hands. I prefer a skinnier grip. Oh well at least I finally have one on order. Happy, Happy, I have already ordered a set of Ruger Hunter factory grips for it. So if I don't like the target grips I can switch them out. Now for the short wait.

photographix

Bearcat
I got a Mk IV Hunter a couple weeks ago, have been to the range twice with it. I love it!

My first range trip, I ran about 250 rounds through it. As time when on, my accuracy went from my normal poor to absolutely atrocious. I figured my hand was tired from holding it (it's by far my heaviest handgun). As I was wiping it down before I left, I found that the front sight was so loose that it was close to falling off.

When you get it, I suggest taking some jeweler screwdrivers for adjusting windage on the rear, and a few small hex keys for adjusting elevation on the rear and ensuring that the front sight is tight. The hex for elevation on the rear sight is NOT the same size as the one that holds the front sight to the barrel. If you have the time at the range to wait for it to set, maybe a tube of 242 blue Loctite, too.

Kind of a silly move by Ruger that you need to have two different tools to adjust windage and elevation on the same gun. :roll:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
I've had 23 Ruger Mark IV pistols cross my bench since they've been introduced. Basically, they are a very nice addition to the Ruger Mark genre. From what I've seen, Ruger has tried their best to thwart any attempts to modify or "personalize" these pistols to what SOME owners feel would better befit their desires.

There are a few aspects involved with the Mark IV that some of my customers and I have discussed, and some modifications have been made to their specifications. Those adjustments have worked out very well. Do, or will, those modifications meet with the agreement of everybody who visits any rimfire web-site? Nope. There are some who only lurk around these web-site venues to vent the issues they find with what they themselves prefer. That's fine, I for one, am happy that you have your specific opinions as to what YOU personally prefer. But, please believe that your opinions may not be worth a pinch of owl crap to the other guy, so lets all at least consider some of the options that could provide improvement.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I received mine on Tuesday. It got to he LGS on late Monday but I was already at work for the evening. Love the pistol. The only thing that I have noticed on it, was that the rear sight is just a hair tilted to the left. I had the same problem with my Single Six Hunter when I bought it. Good old Ruger had that one a week and the sight was perfect when I got it back. It's my favorite hand gun to shoot. I am not Shure if this one tilts enough to even bother me as of yet. Can't wait to get it to the range, got so windy Tuesday and then dropped almost 30 degrees on Tuesday night. Wednesday was just to windy and cold, not like it is in Northern Wisconsin SGW, but cold for Kentucky. If it is not to bad will try today just to set the sights at 25 yards. I am not to worried about the sights I know if I decide they bother me too much that Ruger will take care of them.
Does the Mark IV take the same bushing as the Mark III to remove the Magazine disconnect ? I see where I can order a Mark IV bushing that comes with two washers states most just use one washer. I do not see any on ebay that say for the Mark IV. I buy a lot of pistol parts off ebay, just easy. So SGW really respect you're opinion on all the Ruger products, here and on RFC. Can you answer or anyone answer this question ?

Thanks in advance for any help on the magazine disconnect. I have a Volquartsen trigger on the way for it.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
jstanfield103 said:
I received mine on Tuesday. It got to he LGS on late Monday but I was already at work for the evening. Love the pistol. The only thing that I have noticed on it, was that the rear sight is just a hair tilted to the left. I had the same problem with my Single Six Hunter when I bought it. Good old Ruger had that one a week and the sight was perfect when I got it back. It's my favorite hand gun to shoot. I am not Shure if this one tilts enough to even bother me as of yet. Can't wait to get it to the range, got so windy Tuesday and then dropped almost 30 degrees on Tuesday night. Wednesday was just to windy and cold, not like it is in Northern Wisconsin SGW, but cold for Kentucky. If it is not to bad will try today just to set the sights at 25 yards. I am not to worried about the sights I know if I decide they bother me too much that Ruger will take care of them.
Does the Mark IV take the same bushing as the Mark III to remove the Magazine disconnect ? I see where I can order a Mark IV bushing that comes with two washers states most just use one washer. I do not see any on ebay that say for the Mark IV. I buy a lot of pistol parts off ebay, just easy. So SGW really respect you're opinion on all the Ruger products, here and on RFC. Can you answer or anyone answer this question ?

Thanks in advance for any help on the magazine disconnect. I have a Volquartsen trigger on the way for it.

I've been using the Volquartsen type hammer bushing for the Mark IV pistols.

valvestem

Bearcat
I have a Hunter model on my short list, and I like the slabside too, but already have a III slabside. Choices, choices.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Thanks SGW,

Valvestem, wish I still had my Mark III Competition model. Loved that pistol, had full Volquartsen innards. It was sweet and accurate. I wish I had it back. Lost it due to money shortage. Last year was a rough year. I will end up building this Hunter the same way though.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I ordered the Hunter early on and have enjoyed it immensely for well over a year now. I have done no "upgrades" or other nonsense to it. I just shoot it and it is outstanding.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Yes teuthis,
I have seen another post where you state there is no need for anything in the pistol. In fact you state that you do not understand why people insist on putting in after market changes. I have had several Mark series pistols over my life time. The early ones I never changed. But the later ones, I usually put Volquartsen parts in them which make a huge difference. No before and very little after travel. I am mainly a target shooter so the trigger pull I like as good as you can get, even in a handgun that I plink with. So until you really give it a try don't down people who enjoy that. Nonsense or not.