Favorite cartridges

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TRanger

Blackhawk
The post regarding the 30-06 vs the 7mm Rem. Magnum got me thinking about favorite cartridges and why we like them. The '06 is obviously a favorite of a majority of shooters and that is one reason I don't use it. I prefer to be a little different. (I suppose that's why I'm a 16 gauge fan, as well. :) ) Following are my favorite rifle cartridges. What are yours?

7x57-Probably my all-time favorite. In my opinion, it is a perfectly balanced cartridge; offering good killing power, reasonably flat trajectory, good accuracy, light recoil, and easy to handload. Extremely versatile.

257 Roberts-Probably the ideal light cartridge for deer.

45/70-The ultimate woods cartridge. Another versatility champ. Good for everything from whitetails to brown bear within its range.

375 H&H Magnum-My candidate for the single most useful rifle cartridge in existence.

None of these cartridges are high pressure screaming velocity numbers. All are rather old; but I think they do their jobs as well as any modern magnum, and without ear-splitting blast and fearsome recoil.

Black Frog

Single-Sixer
358 Win

The thumping, 'can do' caliber for anything in North America out to 250-300yds.

I'm disappointed that Ruger stopped chambering the 358 this year. Now there is only Browning left carrying the 358 torch in the BLR.

hawk_driver

Single-Sixer
I like the oddballs as well. I have a Ruger that I rebarrelled to 308 Norma Mag, also have them in 6mm Rem and 7mm RSUM. I also have a 30-06 and 223 in a Ruger as well. I have a 260 Rem, 280 AI and 358 Norma Mag, but not in Rugers. The other non-oddballs are a 22-250, 257 Wby, 30-30 and 45-70.

EVR

Single-Sixer
I could quite happily go with Tranger's list, quite happily.

Mine is similar enough I guess;

.22LR
6.5x55
.264 Win Mag
.45-70
9.3x57

The specific loads and rifles and uses are what makes the above choices easy for me.

Kudu m77

Single-Sixer
Have to say it, 30-06 , grew up shooting with one. It does not make as much damage to meat as some of the magnums and the reason everyone compares everything else to it?

6.5x55: Not a lot of recoil(not that we don't like recoil). Think it has been underrated for a long time.

7x57: Very nice for the African bush.

I hope the next one will be the 375 ruger.

9mm para.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
.22 in handguns and rifles, for obvious reasons.

In handguns: .45ACP, 9mm, .38/.357, and .44 mag. Not much I want to do with a handgun that I can't do with one of those. I do own one .32ACP, an old Colt that I got dirt-cheap as nonfunctional junk and rebuilt to shooting condition, or I wouldn't have that one.

Rifles: .223 for SHTF if it's ever needed. .30-06 and .308--there's really very little reason to own both, but I like the rifles that chamber them (03A4 Springfield, Garand, and M14). .30 Carbine--a delightful little gun and a great "house" gun. .243--I once bought dirt-cheap a custom .243 rifle and essentially a lifetime supply of ammo for it; added another one a couple years ago. Truth to tell, I don't shoot them that much. .303 Brit--I only own two because I got them dirt cheap; have never shot either, though I plan to turn one into a "super-plinker" soon. 7.62x39--again, I bought a Russian SKS dirt-cheap years ago; have never shot it.

Shotguns: 12 gauge--I own four, though I've wanted a 20 gauge Rem 1100 ever since I shot Mas Ayoob's; what a delightful blaster that was!

As you can see, my chamberings are few and basic. Truth to tell I could probably get by with half of them, but I just happen to like certain guns that are only available in certain chamberings.

Can't think of any cartridges I want to add to the battery except possibly .40 Auto--I've bought a .40 "top half" for one of my S&W 9mms and just need to make the mods to fit it to the 9 frame, which should be possible. For a long time I've wanted a big-bore bolt action rifle, something like a .45/70 (Siamese Mauser conversion), but never enough to actually go spend the money on one. I sure don't need it. :wink:

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
My favorite Cartridges:

.22 Long Rifle: This is on the list for the obvious reasons.

6.5X55: This cartridge is on the list for its heavy-for-caliber bullets, and well balanced performance. Great accuracy, moderate recoil and a classic shape.

.30-06: Boring, cliche, adequate for many things, probably perfect for nothing. Still, this one is on my list. My first ever centerfire rifle was in this caliber and I own more rifles chambered for the .30-06 than any other.

.35 Whelen: A classic mid bore round with a historical name. This is an under appreciated round that with the right bullets just performs beyond the expectations of anyone raised on the more "velocity is better farm".

.45 Colt: The sound this makes sliding into the chamber of a six gun makes me smile. From mild to wild, this round will do it all.

.45 ACP: Mostly because of the gun with which it is most associated.

These will do for me!

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
I like too many to list. Picking a fav is too hard but my go to for hunting (big game)is a 30-06 and small game 223 with the 204 right on its heels. Shotgun would be 12ga and never forget then everyone should have a few 22RF rifles/pistols or at least one.

Big bore would be my 50BMG.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
First, glad to see someone use "cartridge" instead of the all too commonly used, and incorrect, caliber.

Ok, mine...

22lr - what's more fun and economical to shoot and the perfect building block for all other shooting?

.30-30 - it's a classic, 'nuf said.

.300 H&H - a classic among classics and one that can run the gauntlet.

.45-70 - another classic among classics

aqbill

Bearcat
How's about another round of applause for the "classics."

.222 Remington - one of the best little guys around.
.243 Winchester - movin' on up. Fun to shoot and versatile.
7x57 Mauser - all time global favorite
.303 British - Millions of Brits can't be wrong.
8x57 Mauser - Another international classic that's often overlooked and underestimated. :D

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
The 45 Colt is my all time favorite handgun round. However, in the last couple of years I've really come to appreciate the 9mm.

In rifles, I gave up the "speed thing" many years ago. I prefer rounds that have some history, such as 7x57.

I'm also a fan of medium bore rounds. I currently have rifles chambered for 358 Win, 35 Whelen, and 9.3x74R.

358 Hawkeye

Bearcat
TRanger":de090qmh said:
The post regarding the 30-06 vs the 7mm Rem. Magnum got me thinking about favorite cartridges and why we like them. The '06 is obviously a favorite of a majority of shooters and that is one reason I don't use it. I prefer to be a little different. (I suppose that's why I'm a 16 gauge fan, as well. :) ) Following are my favorite rifle cartridges. What are yours?

7x57-Probably my all-time favorite. In my opinion, it is a perfectly balanced cartridge; offering good killing power, reasonably flat trajectory, good accuracy, light recoil, and easy to handload. Extremely versatile.

257 Roberts-Probably the ideal light cartridge for deer.

45/70-The ultimate woods cartridge. Another versatility champ. Good for everything from whitetails to brown bear within its range.

375 H&H Magnum-My candidate for the single most useful rifle cartridge in existence.

None of these cartridges are high pressure screaming velocity numbers. All are rather old; but I think they do their jobs as well as any modern magnum, and without ear-splitting blast and fearsome recoil.

I have a Remington 7x57, a single shot Browning 45-70 and I recently picked up a Hawkeye in .358 Winchester. Three classic cartridges that are different than the everyday 30-06 - 308 stuff.
The 275 Roberts is another classic as well based off the 7x57, i believe I will have to get another rifle now.

TRanger

Blackhawk
If we toss in handgun cartridges:
-My favorites are the .45 Colt and .44 Special; and I can't decide which I like better. :)
-.44 Magnum
-.45 ACP
-.357 Maghnum
.38 Special
-and I, too, will admit an appreciation for the 9mm Parabellum-

gunman42782

Hunter
The good old 30/06 was, is, and always will be my favorite cartridge. Followed closely by the .308. But, in centerfire rifles, I shoot 5 times more .223 than everything else combined.

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
.260 Remington. Compact, low recoil, accurate and fires (if properly loaded) a bullet of high sectional density that penetrates for a week and a half! Robert

picketpin

Buckeye
Okay, here we go.

Everybody needs a good 22LR

After that it's a matter of what and how you hunt, for me:

17 Remington - 204 Ruger - just plain fun/ great walk around for light varmints
22PPC or 22BR almost anything a 22-250 or Swift will do but more accurate
6mm Remington - 257 Roberts (all time favorite caliber)
7x57 Mauser - 280 Remington - 284 Winchester pick based on rifle
7mm STW LONG shots on BIG game
30-338 Win Mag (with 180s) or 338 Win Mag (with 250s) Elk - moose -bears

Lots of fun, interesting and effective cartridges not mentioned but this was about personal favorites. I do think the list pretty well will handle anything you want to hunt on this continent.

Ross

Favorite 4 in order of size;
22LR
45/70

If I had to let one go, 308 goes first then the 223. If I could only have one it would be the 45/70 - reason being - if ever I can only have one, I am going to stick it in my mouth and pull the trigger!!!