What's the most efficient rifle action? Your favorite?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
Snake45 said:
BTW, at about the same time frame, I took Mas Ayoob's LFI course and during the class on "stopping power and such" he asked what was the kinetic energy in pounds-feet of a typical American car going 60 mph and some were guessing in the low thousands. I always like to obviously highball or lowball number-guessing games just to be funny so I pulled the figure "half a million" out of my ass and yelled it out. Ayoob pointed at me and said--"Damn close--it's over four hundred thousand." So either Ayoob is wrong about that or your guy is, 'cause there's a factor of six difference between 500K and 3M. :wink:

Ayoob did better. A 4,000 pound vehicle doing 60MPH has around 480,000 ft-pounds of kinetic energy.

Coogs

Maximum
Remington 760 Pump. Next to that I would vote for the Winchester model 64. And.... I am assuming we are talking about speed here, because we can always consider other types for strength/caliber.........Coogs

picketpin

Buckeye
Just repeating what an idiot ISP instructor was spouting and I KNEW it was at least ONE. The actual number was ilrelivent as the ONLY correct answer as far as they were concerned was the one the guy spent the week repeating, over and and over all weak. Actual accuaracy wasn't REALLY the issue. ;-)

Talked to a guy a couple of weeks ago. Spent 20 years with the State Police as a trooper. Recently quit and went to work for a local PD, the minute he got off probation, he was making more at the PD than he was at the state after 20 YEARS. Like I said, a good place to be from.

Twice the prestige and 1/3 the money. ;-)

Ross

OIF2

Single-Sixer
Here's what I came up with for an "all-around" rifle. Ruger (what else?) 77 in .30-06, slightly customized (24" factory contour barrel, engine-turned bolt, etc). I could do worse for a lefty.
Bob

DSC_1063.jpg

I like this one, too. .30-06 No 1, Circassian Walnut.
DSC_0131-1.jpg

NOTPARS

Bearcat
The Enfield is fast, just about any rifle is efficient if used for its intended purpose but my favorite is the Tikka White Tail Hunter. It is slick, smooth, high quality, and the most accurate rifle I have ever fired.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Well I took it to mean efficiency of movement resulting in the greatest number of aimed shots in the shortest period of time. Kind of like this ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IVCwYPjFXc :shock:

I'm right handed but left eyed. I have a No 4 Enfield and shooting the thing off a bench I hold against my left shoulder (naturally) and can keep my right hand on the bolt, work it very rapidly. So long as I control recoil by holding the stock snug between wrist and shoulder I can get off 10 rounds quicker than anyone shooting "right shouldered" and there's no wasted movement. Other than that, for me a lever action is usually most efficient. Pistol cartridged Marlin 1894s usually do the quickest the mostest.

Pal Val

Buckeye
If you mean for "efficient" to mean to get the job with the least amount of effort, then a single-shot in a heavy-hitting caliber would be the answer. You hit a deer in the vitals with a quality bullet, and it will go down right there.

"One shot - one kill."

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Somebody might want to look at the Ruger 96/44 lever-action. That thing is smooth fast and efficient. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

mike-c

Single-Sixer
Greetings,

I do not have a favorite. I grab a particular gun for a particular job. It is not just a question of action type, but caliber to do the job, as well as, action type. Having said that, the bolt action is chambered for the caliber I go to. However, I keep a semi-auto at the ready. I also have a single shot which I bring out to have fun with when entertaining guest. Like I said, don't have a favorite action...

Mike 8)

RonS

Single-Sixer
I love em all, but for utility and efficiency I have to take a Mauser Bolt action.
Strong primary extraction.
Strong extractor with a wide hook.
Simple ejector, no springs.
Simple trigger.
Simple to take down bolt. No tools.
Solid steeel machined in feed lips.
Lots of parts, lots of accessories.
Adaptable to stripper clips if you don't scope it.
You can build a light sporter or a heavy varminter and have a good rifle. Not the best for any one job, but good at almost all of them.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
Has the OP ever gotten back to us with his definition of "efficient," so we can continue this conversation all speaking the same language, anyway? :? :? :? :? :?

Latest posts