Favorite No. 1 in .45-70

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodpuppy

Single-Sixer
I love falling block rifles, and the Ruger is quite a rifle. What is your favorite No. 1 in .45-70? Having never fired that cartridge in a No. 1, but plenty in an 1874 Sharps, I think Ruger build them too light and too short. I think they probably got it right in the Lipsey's No. 1sc, a 26" "C" weight barrel.

Anyway, what's your favorite? The 1sc, the Lyman centennial or overruns thereof, the 50th anniversary, etc. pics are good too:)

trapperon

Blackhawk
I love the 45-70 Ruger No. 1 and 3. A favorite overall is the Lipseys 1s-c--just a great overall package with the long barrel and circassian walnut as well as limited production. but when it comes to deer hunting in the woods of Michigan it is hands down the standard 1s with the 22 inch barrel. Handy, light and just fast handling for me. Its the gun I shot my very first buck with as well!

Ron

350Rem

Bearcat
Oh my, my shoulder hurts just reading this thread.
I had a Number 1 (S) in 45-70 a few years back. For some reason I thought that combination would be really cool for a deer gun. It was, but it was not a good combination for my shoulder.
That gun packs a whallup on both ends. After about a 10 shot range session, I had enough!

My 50th Anniversary 45/70 is my only No 1 in that caliber. I also have a stainless guide gun in 45/70.

1zpnw5x.jpg

Frank V

Single-Sixer
Rumrunner said:
My 50th Anniversary 45/70 is my only No 1 in that caliber. I also have a stainless guide gun in 45/70.

1zpnw5x.jpg

Wow that is a beautiful #1, It's very pleasing to look at!
Thanks for sharing.

Lngstrt

Single-Sixer
I have an original Springfield 1873 Trapdoor full rifle inherited from my Dad. I remember shooting it a a kid .... 8-9-10 years old at the Delaware County Field and Stream range (coughcough 1965-ish) with 80-90 year old ammo. Even as a kid it was accurate and fun!

In about 1974-5 Dad bought me a H&R Model 155 Shikari. About the size of a '94 Winchester and lighter. A study in physics!!! Action-reaction.

Action: 405 gr jacketed soft points out the front. Reaction: "OUCH!!". 5-6-7 rounds and you're ready to move on to something serious ... like a 10/22.
Still have that gun and about 6 of those 405 rounds I loaded back in '83.

I now have a #3 in 45-70. It's heavier than the H&R so ... we'll see.

Frank V

Single-Sixer
Lngstrt said:
I have an original Springfield 1873 Trapdoor full rifle inherited from my Dad. I remember shooting it a a kid .... 8-9-10 years old at the Delaware County Field and Stream range (coughcough 1965-ish) with 80-90 year old ammo. Even as a kid it was accurate and fun!

In about 1974-5 Dad bought me a H&R Model 155 Shikari. About the size of a '94 Winchester and lighter. A study in physics!!! Action-reaction.

Action: 405 gr jacketed soft points out the front. Reaction: "OUCH!!". 5-6-7 rounds and you're ready to move on to something serious ... like a 10/22.

Be careful with that #3 it's light & has a carbine butstock. With heavy loads it'll rock & you may feel every foot pound of energy. They will stand any load a #1 will, but might not be pleasant.

Lngstrt

Single-Sixer
Thinking about it .... It's been over 10 years since I last fired that little H&R. I had a Pachmayr slip on recoil pad. The next day there was always an achy shoulder with a distinct bruise pattern left by the pad. :)

Frank V

Single-Sixer
Lngstrt, I'd get one of the Limbsaver slip on recoil pads they are pretty nice & have a lot of give in them.
Past also makes a recoil pad that you slip into, it has straps to keep it in place & it is pretty effective too. The Past can be worn under a jacket or coat too, you might check into one of those.
Good shooting.

single action

Single-Sixer
Folks try the horny leverevolution stuff lighter recoil better accuracy put one right through a blue wildebeest I love them. IMHO Bob

Frank V said:
Lngstrt, I'd get one of the Limbsaver slip on recoil pads they are pretty nice & have a lot of give in them.
Past also makes a recoil pad that you slip into, it has straps to keep it in place & it is pretty effective too. The Past can be worn under a jacket or coat too, you might check into one of those.
Good shooting.
+1 on the wearable strap-on recoil pad. I never shoot my .450 Marlin multiple times without it. It also has saved my shoulder on Tower shoots with my lightweight Gold Label with that hard butt pad. I wish I had a No. 1 in 45-70. My No. 1B in .270 Win is still my favorite rifle.

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
steveodtw said:
Frank V said:
Good shooting.
+1 on the wearable strap-on recoil pad. I never shoot my .450 Marlin multiple times without it. It also has saved my shoulder on Tower shoots with my lightweight Gold Label with that hard butt pad. I wish I had a No. 1 in 45-70. My No. 1B in .270 Win is still my favorite rifle.
Here you go; GB#

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
Lngstrt said:

I run 300gr Winchesters in my Number 3 45/70. Topped with a Burris Mini 4x black gloss scope.