Factory repair of new, unfired Redhawk.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

andyo5

Single-Sixer
Seven weeks ago, I purchased a new 45 Colt Redhawk on Gunbroker. When it arrived, I removed the rubber grip and found what appears to be a casting flaw on the front of the grip (see photo).
DSC_2466.jpg

Ruger agreed that it was a new gun and asked me to send it in. I assumed they would replace the entire gun. Today, I spoke with them and found that they "repaired" the gun and are ready to ship it back to me. No information on exactly what they did to it.
Frankly, I am apprehensive since I don't see how this frame could be repaired to be as good as new. They will have to reduce the width of the frame to eliminate the gouge. The only other thing they could do would be to replace the frame. But this would require stamping the new frame with the old serial number, in order for it to be a "repair" and not a "replacement".
I want to fit wooden grips and I'm concerned that they may not fit properly. Frankly, I don't think they should have let this one out of the factory. What do you think?

Chief 101

Hunter
That looks too shiny for to be a casting flaw tho it certainly could be. Easy fix none the less. Not to worry as it surely can't effect to ability of this gun to shoot straight. Chief aka Maxx Load

63November

Single-Sixer
The nick in the frame does not look like a big deal unless you intend the revolver to be a display piece. On the other hand, the fact that the frame appears "proud" in relation to the trigger assembly, that would be an issue with me.

andyo5

Single-Sixer
Well, I got this gun back yesterday. I don't know how they did it but if the serial number didn't match I'd swear it was a new frame. The mark is completely gone, but there is no evidence of machining. It looks like an as-cast grip frame. It makes me wonder if they simply stamped my old serial number on a new frame and kept quiet about it. My wood grips fit perfectly and look great. In addition, they "fixed" some things that I hadn't even complained about, such as the barrel/cylinder gap.
The gun looks like a million bucks and shoots well to boot. Many thanks to Ruger customer service. I called them yesterday to thank them. I just love happy endings.

REP1954

Blackhawk
You did the right thing. Cant inmagine having wood grips and then a banged up frame showing.

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
Those are the best pics I have ever seen of a 4" Redhawk. You did a great job with the photography. They really make me want to seek out a set of wood grips for mine.
Glad Ruger took care of that little problem. If it were mine, I'd have sent it back too.
I bought a new stainless Vaquero (no, not a "New Vaquero") about 10 years ago with a strange blemish on the topstrap, a very noticeable raised 'bump'. Had my dealer send it back to Ruger, and in 4 weeks, it came back looking perfect. One of the reasons we keep buying from them!

Jeff

andyo5

Single-Sixer
Here is a photo of the grip frame after repair. New frame? I don't know but it is hard to see how you could go from A to B without replacing the frame.
Whatever they did, the gun is fine now and shoots great with the wood grips. I always believed that S&W's round frame was a mistake. This gun feels more like a square frame S&W, and I don't need rubber grips to handle it.

DSC_2551.jpg

Latest posts