Elk and Sheep gather at the feed station

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yesterday, my Wife and I and a couple of friends took a trip to the Oakcreek game refuge in the southern Cascades of Washington state to see the elk and sheep at the feeding station there. There were in excess of 1,000 elk and 30 or so sheep taking advantage of the volunteers generosity in helping the wild life make it through the winter. This is an annual pilgrimage for these elk. They will hang around here until the weather moderates, probably well into March. Nothing like Jackson Hole, but still fun to see....

The guys...and gals waiting for dinner.

What's that noise....soup on?

Finally, time to eat!

About a mile away a few sheep were hanging out waiting their turn....

If you are ever in the neighborhood in the winter, stop by and take a look!

Dave

LGC42

Single-Sixer
Nice pics. Oak Creek is about a 40 min drive from here. I've been there many times over the years. I used to hunt chukars on those hills in the fall before the elk came down from the high country. When the elk move in the game dept closes the area to all hunting. Only Indians can hunt there then.

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
So much for natural selection - I'll bet these elk all voted for Obama and can't wait for Bernie Sanders to be the next president. ;) I guess it is good to take care of them, but sometimes I wonder if we are creating wildlife that is dependent on humans to survive and how that will eventually impact their lives. TD

JOHNNY WACKO

Blackhawk
TinkerDave said:
So much for natural selection - I'll bet these elk all voted for Obama and can't wait for Bernie Sanders to be the next president. ;) I guess it is good to take care of them, but sometimes I wonder if we are creating wildlife that is dependent on humans to survive and how that will eventually impact their lives. TD

maybe but at lest they got a better deal with Washington then the Indian's did.

Latest posts