Eight Shot Ruger LCR .22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ProfessorWes

Hunter
I'd be happy with a five-shot .44 SPL SP-101... :lol:

...But I'm really considering getting a pair of LCRs now, one in .38 and the other in .22. The .22 version would make for cheap snubby practice, both for the .38 LCR and my Smith Airweight.

And let's face it: while it wouldn't be my first choice for self-defense, eight rounds of .22 Stingers or Mini-Mags would hurt.

mattsbox99

Hunter
If there was an MVP for gunmakers this year, Ruger would win it hands down. I don't even think any other gun makers would even be in the running? There is really nothing new from anybody else. I guess that is why Ruger's stock has gone up 500% in 3 years. :D

Boge

Single-Sixer
mattsbox99 said:
If there was an MVP for gunmakers this year, Ruger would win it hands down. I don't even think any other gun makers would even be in the running? There is really nothing new from anybody else. I guess that is why Ruger's stock has gone up 500% in 3 years. :D

I disagree on one point: the greatest polymer semi auto was introd in 2011. That is the incredible Walther PPQ. In a league all its own. :wink:

jamstutz

Bearcat
Being an old fart on a fixed income, the LCR in .22 LR will be a fantastic stand in for my .38 Spl when I go to the range. The cost of ammo these days will practically make this gun pay for itself in no time.

Bravo to Ruger for listening to their customers!

I also asked for this via the CEO online.

Madd-trapper, I have owned 2 S&W 317's. Sold the first one and regretted it, but bought a new one with the fiber optic sights and really like it. I also have an LCR 38spl and a Smith 642 38spl. The LCR puts them all to shame when it comes to DA trigger pull. Ruger did a great job with the action on these.

Specs

Single-Sixer
Ruger has gotten me 3 times this year. KLCR, LC9, and just now a BNIB 96/22M rifle.I suppose they will now come out with a new, improved 22 magnum semiauto like the old 10/22M and an LCR in 22 mag. .

I'm retired, and can't afford more toys, but these Rugers are like cashews out of a giant bowl. I'm very small time, but I am up to 9 Rugers so far, and not looking to stop. I figure that these are pieces of USEFUL precious metal, and a lot more satisfying than gold or silver coins.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
I would think this would be a great "car gun". Certainly better than a .357 mag going off in a closed space. I will most likely get one.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
While it's nothing I have any interest in personally, I can certainly see the market for the little revolver. This should prove to be a good little woods packer and a decent little trainer for those that have it's larger caliber brethren.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
A nice little revolver, but i don't think it will fit the needs of too many shooters. The Sp101 on the other hand is fabulous, the looks, the feel of it and the way the grip inserts look with the stainless finish is just perfect. I will have one as soon as LGS gets one in.

greycraig

Bearcat
Myself and 4 others I know of have 5 preordered at out local gunshop. IMHO .22WMR is overrated especially in short barreled pistols and revolvers. I was a .22WMR junkie for quite some time and then switched to shooting cheap 5.56 and .22lr (which I had/have plenty of .22LR long and short guns). The "overlap" of .22LR and .223/5.56 in my mind completely eclipses anything the .22WMR can do.

I would prefer to see a handgun barreled .22LR that stabilizes 60grain Aguila subsonics (1:9) rather than another handgun in .22WMR. The fast array of current .22LR loadings makes .22WMR in a handgun a niche gun that seems to depend on clever marketing rather than a practical alternative. Imagine the Keltec PMR30 in .22lR rather than .22WMR.

Lastly, I truly enjoy Ruger revolvers (SA or DA including the LCR), MK.22LR pistols and the 10/22. Good out of the box QC in my experience. With a little personal attention and sometimes a bit of aftermarket you can make a good gun at a value laden price rank right up their with something that costs 4X as much. I think this is based on good relatively simple designs that allow quality mass production. I'm not crazy about Ruger centerfire rifles or their pistols, but they do a good job overall.

The LCR in .22LR should be a blast as a plinker and a practical save your butt revolver with the right ammo.

Craig

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
cjs1945 said:
A nice little revolver, but i don't think it will fit the needs of too many shooters. The Sp101 on the other hand is fabulous, the looks, the feel of it and the way the grip inserts look with the stainless finish is just perfect. I will have one as soon as LGS gets one in.

Yeah, but the LCR trigger is about a BILLION times better than any sp101 trigger. And I love my sp101 (357).

Make me a sp101 with a trigger like the LCR and I'll be ready to throw down some money.

I think the 22mag would be served much better in the new SP101 8-shot than a short barreled DAO gun.
I used to have an old chart of velocities from a 2" barrel of lots of 22's and 22mag's. The 22 short HVHP was as fast as most oe them albeit was a lighter bullet.
Granted there are some new mag loads out there now. I will get burned for this and I know it would not be something that would sell much but I think a .25 ACP would be a hoot in the LCR :eek:

Fountain E. Conner

Single-Sixer
I've read all the posts to this point.

How does the out-of-the-box trigger compare with the 38 special LCR???

I'm already saving for the .22 LCR. If the trigger is even close, I'm going to have one for the savings in $$$ and bruises. I love the 38 sp LCR, have over 2000 rounds thru mine. I'd like to practice more with it, but it ceases to be fun between 50 and 75 rounds.

As a comparison, my wife has a S&W 351C in .22 magnum. It's a sweet shooting little gun, and accurate as the dickens, but the trigger isn't nearly as good (even with a new spring) as my LCR out-of-the-box.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
Mr. Conner,
I have both, and the 22 LCR trigger is pretty darn close to as light and smooth as my 38 LCR.

Jeff

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
Whether you like the new .22lr LCR or not, +1000 to Ruger for this year's offerings -- SR1911, 22lr SP101, 4inch 357 SP101, 22lr LCR (did I forget any?)

Having recently acquired the SR1911 and 22lr SP101, I am thrilled with Ruger's new products (my wife, not so much...). I also have to keep my promise not to buy any more guns for a while...

I think the new LCR is a good idea but agree with others that a 22 Mag would be better for SD and a convertible model would probably sell best. I've always wanted a GP100 but since buying the SP101 I may just go for a 357 SP101 in the future.

I look forward to 2012 Ruger products.

firstup

Bearcat
Local shop owner called and my LCR .22 will be in the shop today. Own the LCR .357, and this is the perfect complement, just hope it fits the quality leather holster I ordered from the Ruger shop for the .357.