Does your wife carry?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

So my question is, if she carries, how does she carry? Like many of you, I think carrying in a handbag is a poor way to carry. But if I'm going to get my wife to carry it's going to be in a handbag with a strap that goes over her head and shoulder. Preferably with a zipper in one end that only carries the handgun, without a lot of loose stuff to get hung up in the pocket.
Where can you find those kinds of purses on the internet?

Here's a couple my wife likes…

…she purse carries, 100% of the time. If you see her she always has a purse of some sort, and there's a .22 LCR in it. For some reason guys love to make light of the way she conceals and the caliber she uses while their 9mm tactical super gun is in a drawer beside their bed.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
She carries when hiking, horseback or kayaking. Its usually her S&W 686+, she uses a leather "chest rig" from Diamond Gunleather.

I wish I could get my wife of 57 years to even consider carrying. She travels alone often, such as right now while she is on a 1,000 mile drive to visit her sisters, and will not even think about keeping a gun in the car with her, let alone carry one on her person.

Years ago I bought what was called a "cross carry bag" from a company named Coronado Leather. It is made with a specific zippered compartment to carry a handgun. It is what might be called a man's purse by some, or a "murse" but I used it for several years before I could legally carry a concealed firearm. I felt it was as accessible and secure as a holster on my belt since the strap went over my head and shoulder and could not easily to slipped off or pulled off. It has the added benefit of when I am wearing shorts in hot weather of allowing me to put my sunglass case, cell phone, keys, etc. in at separately from my gun rather than stuffing my pockets. FWIW, even before legal concealed carry, I wore that "murse" past many LEO's in sensitive places and not once was I stopped and questioned as to "what's in the bag?". For a woman who wants to carry and who cannot pocket carry or have a holster on a belt, this "Cross Carry Bag" is ideal.

P.S.: I just checked and that bag is still made, although it is listed as Out of Stock right now. When I bought mine years ago it was about $120, now I see it listed as $189 and is called a Cross Carry Case. Mine is around 20 years old, made of thick leather, and looks and feels as good as the day I got it despite quite a lot of use years ago. This company makes real quality leather items.

Last edited:
Vito I made it across the hurdle of getting her to at least have a gun in her vehicle, which once it's started the vehicle is one of the safest places she can be, the critical part is on her person, going from the store to her vehicle, in the mall, etc. I need to look into that purse you suggested.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
We don't have a big city around here. There is a small city 10 miles in one direction and a medium town 10 miles in the other direction. We do not carry concealed. I have several choices, all with belt holsters. When she carries her pistol, it is on her hip when she is out in he woods. She carries and shoots well with a Walther PK380.

3manfan

Single-Sixer
So my question is, if she carries, how does she carry? Like many of you, I think carrying in a handbag is a poor way to carry. But if I'm going to get my wife to carry it's going to be in a handbag with a strap that goes over her head and shoulder. Preferably with a zipper in one end that only carries the handgun, without a lot of loose stuff to get hung up in the pocket.
Where can you find those kinds of purses on the internet?

Scroll down, the purses start mid-page. They make a fine product but quality ain't cheap.
Mine said they're made almost as well as the expensive purses like Coach, etc.

My wife will not carry, and honestly doesn't like guns period. She will go shooting with me occasionally but enjoys it about as much as I enjoy picking up the poop from her horses. She enjoyed it much more when we were young. However, we have similar views on morality and religion, and have been happily married for 43 years. We have a running joke- she's Peace Corps, I'm Marine Corps.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Yes. A Glock 43 9mm. I just got her this purse for our anniversary as hers was wearing out. I am also repairing her previous one for a friend of hers as a gift. (Wife has both WA resident and Utah non-resident permits). Montana West has numerous purses of all sizes and good quality.

Scroll down, the purses start mid-page. They make a fine product but quality ain't cheap.

I think that there is a world of difference between a purse that a woman carries with a strap over her shoulder, and a cross carry purse that goes over her head and across her body. The first one can easily be pulled off, especially if the wearer is not consciously holding on to the strap, and once pulled off, the woman is defenseless. A cross carry type bag cannot just be yanked off by a passing thug and offers a lot more security for the firearm. But some women might refuse to carry a cross carry bag because the strap come diagonally across the front of the torso, likely right between the breasts and will more than not highlight the breasts. Some women might enjoy that look, some might not.

BearBiologist

Buckeye

I've found Galco is quite pricey, hence the Montana West (better selection too). Nothing wrong with Galco=I just received a SpeedMaster holster for my 3" Python and had Galco holsters when I shot CAS.

Also a nice selection on Amazon.

BTW: My wife's new purse came yesterday (as well as my Galco) and she LOVES it. In fact, she just paraded by the office showing me that she was using taking it out this AM.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

3manfan

Single-Sixer
I think that there is a world of difference between a purse that a woman carries with a strap over her shoulder, and a cross carry purse that goes over her head and across her body. The first one can easily be pulled off, especially if the wearer is not consciously holding on to the strap, and once pulled off, the woman is defenseless. A cross carry type bag cannot just be yanked off by a passing thug and offers a lot more security for the firearm. But some women might refuse to carry a cross carry bag because the strap come diagonally across the front of the torso, likely right between the breasts and will more than not highlight the breasts. Some women might enjoy that look, some might not.
I do!😃

Latest posts