Do we wish for monsters?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DennisE

Single-Sixer
On all the gun forums I visit there seems to be a fascination with handguns that can be used to protect against 12 foot tall charging grizzles, or a similar size bigfoots, or perhaps just ordinary murderous brain sucking zombies? So I guess I'm wondering-Do we long for a challange that is more direct, more real, than just going to work, having a drink, kissing the kids goodnight, and trying to survive in a downward spinning economy? Do we wish that hardass aliens or many toothed monsters would come to turn the page of our life and require us to use our knowledge and our guns to save ourselves and others? Do we each somewhere in our hearts long to find meaning by confronting and destroying monsters? Just a thought, Dennis

David LaPell

Blackhawk
Hey, if you watch shows like the Walking Dead, he got by with a .357 Python. Personally the .44 Magnum is as bug a handgun as I ever wish to own even though I did have a .35 Remington TC Contender (used to get attention at the range when firing it). So no I don't need to have a big kaboomer when the zombies show up or the Daleks from Skaro get here, or Cybermen, Klingons, Sontarans, handbots, etc. I'll stick with my Model 27, which actually served the sheriff well in The Crazies.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Probably. High adrenalin situations are by definition exciting. Who doesn't like a little excitement now and again, assuming we survive. Victory over a challenge proves our survival instincts and is very satisfying to the human psyche.

Snake45

Hawkeye
David LaPell said:
Personally the .44 Magnum is as bug a handgun as I ever wish to own
Same here. Anything my Smith 29 can't handle, it's time to move up to a 12 gauge or a .308 rifle.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Might consider that back in the day a lot of folks got shot with 25s, 32s, 380s and 38s and they didn't go down so well. Isn't that why they invented the 38 police special? :shock: :shock:

BTW, I was drawn to the 44magnum like a Moth to flames.

...Jimbo

SgtSam

Bearcat
Sorry, not me! Vietnam took all of the longing for adrenalin events out of me. Had enough! You are welcome to my share of the "brain sucking zombies", 12' grizzly's, 20' alligators, and all the rest of the exciting events you can dream up. :roll:

I'll just take a nice calm day shootin' clays, riding my scoot, drowning worms, operating my trains, or taking a nice nap with my dog by my side! :D

Have a nice day!! :D

the fatman

Single-Sixer
I think you might be on to something there Dennis. If you could just shoot a problem it would be simpler. Dealing with real world problems illness,financial,relationships,endless other hassles,etc. Having a clear target and the means of dispatching it has a certain appeal. In fantasy see a zombie pop it and move on. If you had zombies in real life you would have to buy a permit,have an approved zombie removal tool,only be able to use it at certain times of the day and in certain approved zones. Plus pay for zombie removal and a hazardous waste tax. :lol:

CraigC

Hawkeye
Probably. I'm sure there's a little bit of Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan, Skeeter Skelton, Charles Askins or even Theodore Roosevelt in all of us. We grew up dreaming of living the adventurous life like those men. The mundane process of going to school, getting a job, getting married and having kids leaves something of a hole in us. I know I think about stuff like that all the time. It's easy to get mired in the day to day routine.

5of7

Hunter
I think most of us are playing some sort of role whenever we buy and shoot our guns.

I currently have 92 firearms listed in my personal battery of guns. If I only had the guns I needed for a practical purpose, the number would probably be about 6, but then I would miss out on a lot of the fun of discovery during the load development process as well as the conversation starting value around the breakfast table.
8)

contender

Ruger Guru
I think that man, as a basic creature craves a bit of challenge in life. And I mean the types of challenge that tests our "manhood." It's a primal instinct. Think of two similar sized deer that spar over breeding rights during the rut. Since we are thinking humans, and don't live off instincts, we create challenges such as rock climbing, skydiving, scuba diving, shooting, etc to satisify our instinct cravings.
Even a lot of men volunteer to be firemen, soldiers, cops etc with their subconcious knowing about the dangers & excitement they percieve that job will present to them.
However, quite often, in the "tame" things, they never get fully satisified, and in the extreme ones, (war, actual shootings, serious fires etc) many men figure out they no longer need the "rush" of excitement.
Holloywierd feeds these primal instincts with a lot of their movies depicting ordinary men being pitted against an overwhelming adversary.
So, while many folks feel they need the biggest, baddest, most powerful firearm, to ward off the upcoming alien invasion, or the zombie hords, it's just a way of venting their primal instincts.
The folks who actually buy the big "loudenboomingkicking" guns such as the 500's etc, AND shoot them a LOT, are folks who appreciate such creatures w/o the primal instincts driving them. Most folks do not shoot the big ones too often. (Remember how so many had to have a S&W 29 after Dirty Harry, yet later on you could buy them with only "6 rounds fired"???) Similar thing.
JMO!

skip

Single-Sixer
Every time I walk in the woods I have the possibility of facing a grizzlie or black bear except in the Winter months.....2 Aprils ago I was almost stomped by a moose......I guess it all depends where you hang out....I carry a .45 Colt with heavy loads

63November

Single-Sixer
"Bigger and badder" is probably the biggest factor as to why the 480 didn't fare so well on introduction. It's a really fine, shootable cartridge which just doesn't have as much "bad" in it as do the 460 and 500 SW, and others of like intensity.

Terry T

Buckeye
As I sit in the warmth of the 'Indian summer' of my life and reflect, I realize that life is a lot more 'shades of gray' and a lot less 'black and white'. Solutions to life's normal, everyday, issues are a lot more complex than I expected as a young man. :shock:

I've not been to war and I've enjoyed working with good folks, making a good living, trying to make my little corner of the world a better place, and kissing my kids and wife good night every night. I've been blessed. :D

On the other hand, especially in the case of the Zombie Apocalypse, It's a simple black and white situation. They're bad and I'm good. No ambiguity! No problem telling who the bad guys are. Oh, and they're "not human" so, again, no ambiguity about dispatching them. SO much simpler than real life!

As I've said to many folks, I hope I never NEED a gun. They're a fun hobby to me. I enjoy collecting and shooting but I pray that I never NEED a gun. I have them and I can and will use them but I pray I never NEED to. :shock:

Do I wish for Monsters? No, not really, but if they come, I hope they are easily identified as such!

Just my $0.02 worth!
Terry T

don44

Hunter
Snake45 said:
David LaPell said:
Personally the .44 Magnum is as bug a handgun as I ever wish to own
Same here. Anything my Smith 29 can't handle, it's time to move up to a 12 gauge or a .308 rifle.
Absolutely Right!

Bucks Owin

Hunter
10X contender...I long for a Freedom Arms in .500 WE someday as a "challenge". Not because I want to hunt T-Rex or that hot 44/45 loads can't make me flinch on occasion. (I freely admit they do BTW, try firing a long string of them for group size.. :wink: ) I just think the cartridge itself is cool and at the horsepower limit for for a "packin' gun, along with the Linebaugh cals, and an opportunity to play with new molds, loads, testing etc.... IMHO, shooting the big boomers accurately at full tilt velocity is something that takes some determination and increasing steps to achieve but I expect that's the fun of it for most of us nuttier gun nuts...

But apparently, that doesn't float everybody's boat by the amount of .500 S&Ws for sale....There are a ton of them at the online auctions! :?

Just musing from the armchair... :wink:

john_linebaugh_blast.jpg

A

Anonymous

DennisE said:
Do we wish that hardass aliens or many toothed monsters would come to turn the page of our life and require us to use our knowledge and our guns to save ourselves and others? Do we each somewhere in our hearts long to find meaning by confronting and destroying monsters? Just a thought, Dennis

Nah, we just like BIG guns that make a LOUD "Bang!".

Notice by my signature that I have resisted this immature macho desire in my "second shooting life", mainly by observing my bank statements on a regular basis. I have to wish for confronting wimpy two-foot aliens and toothless monsters......... :D

Timber Wolf

Single-Sixer
Subconsciously maybe, but right now I am content practicing for and shooting USPSA. I just "discovered" the sport 4 months ago, two months before my 51st birthday. I am really enjoying it and it is all the excitement with a gun I need for now, although I am thinking about three-gun…

Joe S.

Hunter
i am considering getting started in some form of local handgun competition as well... a friend who competes has about talked me into it. nervous tho! ha