Do we wish for monsters?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Joe S. said:
i am considering getting started in some form of local handgun competition as well... a friend who competes has about talked me into it. nervous tho! ha

"Field Pistol" silhouette would be a good one to tee off with IMO...Plenty of us "duffers" have fun with that... :wink:

pappyd

Bearcat
I'll just take a nice calm day shootin' clays, riding my scoot, drowning worms, operating my trains, or taking a nice nap with my dog by my side!

Sorry, Sarge. I need to make one correction to your otherwise perfect day.

I'll just take a nice calm day shootin' clays, riding my scoot, drowning worms, operating my trains, and taking a nice nap with my dog by my side!

Terry T

Buckeye
I think I failed to mention that, just in case things do get a little out of hand, I have just picked up an Alaskan in 454! :shock:
:D
Terry T

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
"im good with my 44's..."

"Personally the .44 Magnum is as bug a handgun as I ever wish to own"

"Same here. Anything my Smith 29 can't handle, it's time to move up to a 12 gauge or a .308 rifle."

Yeah but they aren't 45s!... and those 12 guages and 308s don't fit in a holster. :twisted:

gasbag

Blackhawk
DennisE said:
Do we each somewhere in our hearts long to find meaning by confronting and destroying monsters? Just a thought, Dennis

Probably just testosterone overload. :roll:

SgtSam

Bearcat
pappyd: Thanks for the correction.

I guess it could be that way as well. However, I wasn't planning on doing all of that in one day! :D Possibly any one or two "and" the nap, though! :lol:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Silent Sam said:
"im good with my 44's..."

"Personally the .44 Magnum is as bug a handgun as I ever wish to own"

"Same here. Anything my Smith 29 can't handle, it's time to move up to a 12 gauge or a .308 rifle."

Yeah but they aren't 45s!... and those 12 guages and 308s don't fit in a holster. :twisted:
That's what their slings are for. :roll:

americal

Hunter
SgtSam said:
Sorry, not me! Vietnam took all of the longing for adrenalin events out of me. Had enough! You are welcome to my share of the "brain sucking zombies", 12' grizzly's, 20' alligators, and all the rest of the exciting events you can dream up. :roll:

I'll just take a nice calm day shootin' clays, riding my scoot, drowning worms, operating my trains, or taking a nice nap with my dog by my side! :D

Have a nice day!! :D
I'm with you Sam but to each his own likings :) A door slams I jump ---still after all these years--I do like to rabbit hunt with beagles and yes shoot at them--and a day at the range with my RSS is all I need :lol:

RonS

Single-Sixer
People like to talk, talking about big scary things is more interesting than talking about rabbits and deer.

buster cat

Bearcat
Terry T said:
As I sit in the warmth of the 'Indian summer' of my life and reflect, I realize that life is a lot more 'shades of gray' and a lot less 'black and white'. Solutions to life's normal, everyday, issues are a lot more complex than I expected as a young man. :shock:

I've not been to war and I've enjoyed working with good folks, making a good living, trying to make my little corner of the world a better place, and kissing my kids and wife good night every night. I've been blessed. :D

On the other hand, especially in the case of the Zombie Apocalypse, It's a simple black and white situation. They're bad and I'm good. No ambiguity! No problem telling who the bad guys are. Oh, and they're "not human" so, again, no ambiguity about dispatching them. SO much simpler than real life

As I've said to many folks, I hope I never NEED a gun. They're a fun hobby to me. I enjoy collecting and shooting but I pray that I never NEED a gun. I have them and I can and will use them but I pray I never NEED to. :shock:

Do I wish for Monsters? No, not really, but if they come, I hope they are easily identified as such!

Just my $0.02 worth!
Terry T

Terry I like your post. My thoughts also.

Buster..........

hudlow

Bearcat
DennisE said:
Do we each somewhere in our hearts long to find meaning by confronting and destroying monsters? Just a thought, Dennis

I think there's a segment of our society that enjoys being afraid.

hud

I think the OP may be working off a few wrong assumptions. Certainly there are no 12' bears, or zombies and such. However there are more bear attacks these days than any other time in history. In the last 100 years there have been at least 131 bear attacks, and with almost half that (59) happening in the last 20 years, things do happen out in the woods. Add to that, with the news papers and internet where you can read the same article written different ways, and they come up time after time on the internet and you may read the same story and not recognize it a few times over a few years. Taking into consideration how many people are in the USA that's not many attacks unless you happen to be the unlucky person. Things do happen in the woods, and the parks with at least two in Yellow stone just this year and how long has it been since that's happened. I think most guys have a little of the "be prepared" attitude, when they go out, just luck how much gear they take for a weekend camping trip. Women must have the same inner drive too as look how much they take to a hotel for the weekend. :D: :roll:

Floridaoutdoors

Single-Sixer
In the Sunshine State every threat of a Huricane brings a certain sense of excitement and a certain sense of letdown when the storm does not make impact.
firearms are a prudent real life addition to hurricane kit,preparedness.

the family pets are alert to The Mastadon threat every time they step outside,so too are we.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Terry T said:
As I sit in the warmth of the 'Indian summer' of my life and reflect, I realize that life is a lot more 'shades of gray' and a lot less 'black and white'. Solutions to life's normal, everyday, issues are a lot more complex than I expected as a young man. :shock:

I've not been to war and I've enjoyed working with good folks, making a good living, trying to make my little corner of the world a better place, and kissing my kids and wife good night every night. I've been blessed. :D

On the other hand, especially in the case of the Zombie Apocalypse, It's a simple black and white situation. They're bad and I'm good. No ambiguity! No problem telling who the bad guys are. Oh, and they're "not human" so, again, no ambiguity about dispatching them. SO much simpler than real life!

As I've said to many folks, I hope I never NEED a gun. They're a fun hobby to me. I enjoy collecting and shooting but I pray that I never NEED a gun. I have them and I can and will use them but I pray I never NEED to. :shock:

Do I wish for Monsters? No, not really, but if they come, I hope they are easily identified as such!

Just my $0.02 worth!
Terry T

That's a great post. And pretty much my situation. I'm not rich in the monetary sense, but God has blessed me with more than I deserve.

I'm kind of out growing my desire to have something super powerful. I sold off my 300 winchester and still have my 243. But I did keep my 45/70. :wink: As for handguns, I really have no interest in anything bigger that a 44 mag or 45 Colt.

A

Anonymous

If I can not get it done with my 357 GP100 , then the browning 10 guage comes out .
Eric

toysoldier

Hunter
The fascination with oversized handguns and supersized magnum rifles is much like the yearning for overpowered automobiles.

I'll leave it to the psychiatrists to expound upon this need to have the "biggest and baddest."