Did Ruger hold off production?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The logic behind the original poster's quote from the gun store clerk.... escapes me.... would it not be more prudent and profitable if the idea that the 10/22 was going to be outlawed to make as many as possible as quickly as possible?

$260 for a 10/22 is not a bad price these days,... either new or used.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
The logic behind the original poster's quote from the gun store clerk.... escapes me.... would it not be more prudent and profitable if the idea that the 10/22 was going to be outlawed to make as many as possible as quickly as possible?

$260 for a 10/22 is not a bad price these days,... either new or used.
Around here there are a few different things going on. Big chain stores (like Big5) bring in all sorts of people looking for tee ball bats, inflatable pools, running shoes, etc.. They have there regular orders to their distributors and the clerks don't really understand that the 10/22 and the Marlin 22's are any different. Many of these shops have large stocks of Remington and Marlin 22's on hand and won't order any more 22's until those sell.

The second thing that is happening is that smaller shops that also set up booths at gun shows are making a killing at the shows, so the stock isn't making it to the showroom. There is one store I visited that had no 10/22s in stock on a Friday afternoon, but then got a big shipment in that evening just in time for the gun show that weekend.

Sooo... there winds up being a couple big, established, local gun shops that know the market and don't do the gun shows. There profit is in volume. They have good, friendly, and knowledgable staff. These shops have had 10/22's pretty steadily and while not the best price, still cheaper than the gun shows (take downs for $329, stainless synthetics for $219-$239).

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
6gun said:
Number one rule, never believe a word or rumor that comes out of the mouth of a person working behind a gun counter.

Hi,

ESPECIALLY when it has anything to do w/ a gun they either don't sell to start w/, or are currently out of w/o a confirmed resupply date... ;)

Rick C

superdutyscaler

Bearcat
i believe my local dealer, my dad has been going there for over thirty years, Ive been going there with him since Ive been 8 years old. I'm now 28 and i still go and buy my new guns from him. he told me that Ruger is almost a year behind on gun orders and they will not take a new order until they catch up on the old orders. Ive been waiting six months for a Ruger bolt action 77/22 in LR and was told just to wait until July or August....

BlkHawk73

Hunter
It's manufacturing 101 - you make the priority items first. It's those items that have the highest demand and can satisfy the largest number of customers. The lesser demanded items take a back seat.

superdutyscaler

Bearcat
so blkhawk73 that means a Ruger 77/22 is not a in demand gun? from what Ive researched you can't find one...anywhere

vwfreak

Bearcat
I think $260 for a 10/22 at new retail is a fair price for ANY iteration of that rifle. AIRC my first 10/22 was purchased new in 1994 for the sum of $195+ tax at my local Wal Mart A box of 500 rounds of .22 at same Walmart at time of gun purchase was $7.97. I know because I still have that box with the sticker in place. So for ammo to have increased over 300% while the firearm increased slightly more than 30% isn't too bad IMHO

Actually, I'd take a pink one. My daughter'd love it!!

Retired Guy

Bearcat
rich e said:
According to the New York Safe Act There still legal in N.Y.State, not sure about bloomburg town, we just have to load no more than 7 rds. ( have you ever heard of such stupidity?)
Lived in NY for 65 years and am very familiar with stupid pols.

DPris

Buckeye
Ruger suspended new orders for a couple months last year to catch up, then resumed.
At SHOT, they were taking orders & I was told product is sold for about the next 10-11 months.
That means to distributors. Once those distributors get their orders delivered, they'll be the ones who decide which gunshops get what.

They are not holding back on anything, as I said above.
Once the current level of demand slows, Rugers (and other brands) will be showing up more regularly again.
Denis

planoracer1937

Bearcat
I picked one up at LGS quite by accident.Wasn't looking for one but there they were on the shelf.Got one in stainless with flash hider NIB for $279. No up charge like a lot of dealers are asking.Haven't shot it yet.No ammo available.

OH_FFL

Bearcat
I would seriously doubt that Ruger would hold off production on the 10/22's, but have wondered myself. The wholesaler's have been out for quite a while now. I check EVERY DAY. The last ones available (Christmas) were pink, and they are now out-of-stock too. Hopefully production will catch up with demand soon. I have several customers waiting for them to arrive. :(

jjas

Single-Sixer
I don't know how likely it will be for me to purchase any new firearms until this stuff settles down a bit. I have to wonder what the QC will be like with factories running full tilt trying to keep up with unprecedented demand.

gunerone

Bearcat
Kittery Trading Post in Kittery Maine has 51 10/22 listed on their website for $230 they look like the blue synthetic.
Just thought I throw it out there if anyone is looking, a few MKIII SS bull also are listed.

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/backroom.php?sortdirection=ASC&sortorder=byprice&searchdata=&brand=Ruger&page=1