Custom .327 Buntline...need advice!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wing nut

Bearcat
I wrote in the revolver section of the forum on how I would like a .327 federal rifle, but do to the price and limited number of calibers that can be re chambered that I was thinking about the possibility of a Ruger Single Seven Buntline Carbine.
So I am leaning heavily toward starting this project if I can put together the proper craftsmen to get the components built and put together. I am planning on using the complete frame and guts of a Single Seven, easy enough.
I need a new barrel made that is 18" long but as a pistol barrel, not a rifle barrel. Most rifle makers don't make pistol barrels, and most pistol barrel makers don't make barrels over 12". Does anyone have a barrel maker that might be able to take on this project. I believe Shilen makes both pistol and rifle barrels and plan on contacting them, but would like to have a few other options if that falls through.
I was planning on using a pre made stock attached to the frame by a simple piece copied from a Uberti rifle frame, but have scraped that idea for a custom made stock. I would use the Taurus Circuit Judge rifle butt stock as the functional pattern to attach the stock to the frame. I would still like some style to it, so would want to pattern the line and shoulder area of the stock after the Uberti 1873/1866. So I am now looking for a stock maker who can at minimum copy a Taurus stock, and make it work on a Ruger Single Seven. Hopefully one that can also add in the "feel" of the 1873 stock, all while getting the proper comb height for the sights.
Finally I need to get the barrel installed properly and a new front sight attached and aligned. Possibly replacing the back adjustable sight with an adjustable peep sight.
Any and all help is appreciated, this will be my first custom build if I can get all the pieces together and keep the costs under control.

sixgunner452

Bearcat
Sir, have you considered a custom single shot 32? I have a 32 mag built on a single barrel shot gun. Tube replaced with a take-off 30-06 remington barrrel. Add sights, custom single shot.

wing nut

Bearcat
Sixgunner, I looked at having a t/c arms single shot made, but it was going to be $1000 or more for custom barrel, custom stocks to fit custom barrel, and buying the standard frame. Did not want to sink that much on a single shot. Would be interested in a single shot if I could due it "cheap". Can you tell me how much your project cost and who recut/refit your barrel. Did you started with an H&R single shot stock and frame?

Custom .327 barrel from Match Grade Machine is $380 shipped to your door. You have two choices of bore size, any length from 6" to 26" and two stock (not custom) barrel profiles. You should be able to find a used G2 action for about $350, although you don't really need the G2 strength for a .327--I just prefer the way it works to the older Contenders. Wood is fairly cheap if you are willing to stick with a used factory stock and forend or finish one from Boyd's or another maker of semi-finished.

And the great advantage of a Contender is that you can add barrels as you get a yen for different calibers. Unfortunately it gets addictive....Mine has four barrels and counting!

5card

Blackhawk
Why not buy a Uberti Buntline and a stock they have made for it and buy a hammer screw and you are done for under $1000, you have a 6 shot 357 gun

Why not buy a Uberti Buntline and a stock they have made for it and buy a hammer screw and you are done for under $1000, you have a 6 shot 357 gun

Wouldn't be a .327 then. ;) Sometimes it's that "different" aspect that's the best part of all.