Curious about it's worth

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Timothy 58

Bearcat
20230701_084209.jpg
20230701_084224.jpg

Sorry I don't have any currant prices, but this info might help you to describe what you have. I have included 14 year old prices

Case $450

Short frame dull polish without eagle logo and mahogany case. S/N range 225 and 1875 to 3402. About 1600 made. Very scarce.
$1200

Short frame dull finish with eagle on barrel S/N 1 to 1799 and 3740 to 4068 about 2000 made.
$1150

It kind of looks like a Long Frame dull polish without eagle. Known S/N 27, 175, 2211, 2683, 2743, and 3111 Only seven known.
$1900

Long frame dull finish with eagle on barrel. S/N 4 to 1463. About 300 made Rare $1150

AzGeno

Single-Sixer
Nice 3 digit Gun. Interested to see other photo views of the gun. Especially, The side stored against the bottom of the case.
As mentioned, don't store this gun in the case. Many wood cased S47s have some level of surface rust and light pitting.
To my eye, Your photo 1 shows very slight rust damage On the cylinder.
Value? If the total gun grades 95% or better and the case is solid, no cracks and in original good shape.
And is a:
'Long Frame = around $2500
Short Frame = around $2000
you might want to contact Ruger and get an Official Letter on date of manufacture of this gun.
take care and enjoy the gun.

welcome to the forum, nice looking OM 44 Super, with the case,,,are you certain it is a LONG frame??? under the grip panel will be a letter "C" stamped in the panel,,hard to see in the picture,,,,as noted above, would be nice to see a picture of the 'down side" ( left side) of the gun as to its condition from any 'setting' ,being left in that case,,,,,,, correct info will affect the proper pricing for you...........(y);)

PLEASE don't store it in that box. The red felt will leave stains on the left side of the gun.

Sorry, you may have already known that.
Yeah, I have always known not to store guns in holsters or display boxes. However, several years ago I bought a pair of 150th Anniversary Colt 7 1/2" SAAs in a beautiful lined walnut box and it was the only safe place to store them in my crowded safes. After giving it great deal of thought I finally encased each revolver with pieces of tiny bubble wrap. It appears to have worked as the guns & the box are safe and clean. They are stored with lightly oiled interiors and dry exterior that gets wiped down every time the box is opened. So far that appears to be working.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
PLEASE don't store it in that box. The red felt will leave stains on the left side of the gun.

Sorry, you may have already known that.
I make my own boxes, but I use velvet instead of felt. THAT IS how I store them. I have some matched sets in boxes that have been there for 40 years. Is it the felt that is what's bad? If so, I wonder why the manufacturers continue to use it!

hard to say "why" it happens, was told years ago, it was the felt,,,, then we were told it was the "adhesive" that used to hold the felt in place....as to the "why" the metal of the gun has to breathe, almost like air to circulate but thats not really true as air has moisture in it....I KNOW for a fact that any firearm in a 'vinyl; case that does NOT breathe, the gun will rust due to moisture that condensates ( temp changes) like air conditioning, or summer heat , winter cold, and on and on...needed to pay more in chemistry class,,,oh thats right, I dropped out and took Earth Science instead...ha ha a 'senior' in 9th grade science class........:cool::rolleyes:
I do know that my wife has a thin piece of saran wrap under her engraved Jarred guns in their cases and have been there for years,,,NO rust!!! ( RIG on the metal,,,does help);)

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
....I KNOW for a fact that any firearm in a 'vinyl; case that does NOT breathe, the gun will rust due to moisture that condensates ( temp changes) like air conditioning, or summer heat , winter cold, and on and on...
I have my Dad's Winchester 69-A, circa 1935. When he went in the Navy in 1941 he put it in a vinyl gun case and left it in Grandpa's closet. As far as I know it was not fired again or removed from the case until 1957. Then I saw it and asked to see it. It DID get fired in the early 1960's, by both Dad and I. It finally left the case and was stored in a gun cabinet, a Father's Day gift from me in about 1980. It now resides in my Gun Safe, and has since Dad passed.

I just had to pull her out and take a look once again. The barrel is pristine and not a hint of rust anywhere. I still have the case as well. Stearns Mfg., St Cloud Mn. Lined in red plaid fabric.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I had a friend bring me a WWII "trophy' to 'clean up and check it out"... It was brought back after the war and stored in an attic while still in the German officer's leather holster. This event was late 1970's so all those years in the leather in the attic should have had a terrible effect on that gun, but it was as clean as the day it was holstered by that officer. I was taken aback when I found battlefield soil inside the crevices of the grip panels... Still remember that. Gun was 100% inside and out. Go figure!

p.s. Forgot: agree that a three digit, long frame, OM Super in it's box could be worth $2500 TO A COLLECTOR.....
J.

good for you, maybe it stayed a "dry " closet, ,,,,,we've seen all too many over the years come in the shop for a reblue due to just sitting in a vinyl case, maybe they put it away 'wet' also...I know the old Remington870s left over night after a day of hunting all too often got rusted and pitted in little or no time....just simply wipe it down before leaving it.......

Johnnu2

Hunter
It was such an anomaly that I remember it to this day. To make matters more unusual, the attic was in NJ where it's humid in the summers... Shouldn't have happened!!! Just thought it was an interesting factoid....
J.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I had a friend bring me a WWII "trophy' to 'clean up and check it out"... It was brought back after the war and stored in an attic while still in the German officer's leather holster. This event was late 1970's so all those years in the leather in the attic should have had a terrible effect on that gun, but it was as clean as the day it was holstered by that officer. I was taken aback when I found battlefield soil inside the crevices of the grip panels... Still remember that. Gun was 100% inside and out. Go figure!

p.s. Forgot: agree that a three digit, long frame, OM Super in it's box could be worth $2500 TO A COLLECTOR.....
J.
My FIL brought back a Luger and a Nazi flag, both recorded on capture papers. He kept it for some years, and then gave it to his father in the late 1950's when they drove to FL and bought a condo in St. Petersburg. When Great Grandpa died, my wife and I went down to clean out the condo and bring back some of the family's prized possessions. Among the belongings were a family bible dating back to the 1700's, a cased set of silverware and that old pistola, still in the original leather flap holster. The spare magazine was missing, but stuck deep in the mag pouch was a 9mm round, waffenampt and all. All of the items were stored in a musty damp mold-ridden Florida closet.

The brass case was slightly tarnished and the gun metal had a few very small spots of surface rust. The bore was pristine. A light brushing with fine brass wool and a light coat of Permablue and the you can hardly tell where it had been all those many years.

I guess some are luckier than others.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I know the old Remington870s left over night after a day of hunting all too often got rusted and pitted in little or no time....just simply wipe it down before leaving it.......
My 1960's Mossberg 12 ga. deer gun has a short barrel with rifle sights. I got it for 40 bucks the first year I began hunting. The barrel was pitted when I got it. I clean it and oil it every year after deer season and then it is stored in a cabinet. Then, the next November I have to run a brush thru the bore because it rusted slightly over Summer.

Right next to it in the same cabinet is my Dad's 1915 Parker 12 ga. double. It was also pitted when he bought it back in 1939 for 15 bucks. It does NOT continue to rust. I suspect it was black powder that took the original tole; the barrel is NOT Damascus.

I dunno why some do and some don't. Probably a combination of many factors. An old gunsmith / dealer that I know says he rarely buys used shotguns. Seems like many hunters put them away wet because they didn't shoot that season and thought they didn't need to clean them.

James also

Bearcat
Yeah, I have always known not to store guns in holsters or display boxes. However, several years ago I bought a pair of 150th Anniversary Colt 7 1/2" SAAs in a beautiful lined walnut box and it was the only safe place to store them in my crowded safes. After giving it great deal of thought I finally encased each revolver with pieces of tiny bubble wrap. It appears to have worked as the guns & the box are safe and clean. They are stored with lightly oiled interiors and dry exterior that gets wiped down every time the box is opened. So far that appears to be working.
I found an old silverware case for my 1st issue Colt DS snub nose, it has some kind of tarnish retardant, so far so good.

chet15

Hawkeye
welcome to the forum, nice looking OM 44 Super, with the case,,,are you certain it is a LONG frame??? under the grip panel will be a letter "C" stamped in the panel,,hard to see in the picture,,,,as noted above, would be nice to see a picture of the 'down side" ( left side) of the gun as to its condition from any 'setting' ,being left in that case,,,,,,, correct info will affect the proper pricing for you...........(y);)

Bump...
What Dan asked... are you sure its a long frame?
Chet15

Latest posts