Anyone knows about Redhawk 45LC future availability?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Onty

Single-Sixer
As for your dealer, how much they will charge total over price in USA, to import revolver in Czech Republic? And how much it will cost to export gun to Croatia? I know, I am asking more than normal, but just in case you have a hint.

Also, can they import used guns? I am after 41 Magnum Bisley, blue, 7.5", and Security Six, stainless 6". I found some second ones on egun.de, but they have either rough barrels (from the factory) https://www.rugerforum.net/threads/...-revolvers-be-firelapped.409277/#post-4844149 , or sellers do not want to provide picture of the inside of barrel.

If possible, could you please send me PM with dealer/importer website. Thanks!

I paid dearly for mine and had to tune it a bit. It's as accurate with the ACPs as I can shoot. This was new and it has Hogue's on it now.
1693289486156.png

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
If you're looking for Match Grade accuracy with .45 ACP, you'll be disappointed with the .45 ACP/LC Redhawk if you're buying it as an ACP shooter like I did

I love mine and I'm keeping it, but I shoot it at 15 yards or less

For the $$ these get on the secondary market you'll probably do better to find a pre-lock S&W 625 or a 1917 / 25

My friend has a JM 625 and it shoots ragged holes at 25, my Redhawk struggles to keep them inside a pie plate at 25. 50 yards is purely "minute of B27 silhouette " . The LC chamber is not optimal for the ACP

Onty

Single-Sixer
I never liked idea of having short round like 45 ACP, fired in long chamber for 45 Colt. Bullet freebore jump is almost .400". That cannot help accuracy. Of course, here and there will be revolver that will do OK, but wast majority of the revolvers will shoot like you described.

If one wants to have same revolver shooting 45 Colt and 45 ACP, Ruger has a number of so called "Convertible" models with dual cylinders:

0446.jpg
0463.jpg

0472.jpg
5240.jpg

Colt 45 45 ACP 1.JPG
5242.jpg

5243.jpg
0475.jpg

See more here https://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/models.html

NOTE: On some pictures you will notice smaller bores in cylinder, most likely 357 magnum or 9 mm, not 45 Colt or 45 ACP. But, that was the way website was created.

Other manufacturers, like Pietta and Uberti, also have convertible models in 45.

Last edited:

Knecht

Single-Sixer
If you're looking for Match Grade accuracy with .45 ACP, you'll be disappointed with the .45 ACP/LC Redhawk if you're buying it as an ACP shooter like I did

I've mentioned that before, I don't care for the ACPs much, I don't shoot that caliber anyway. I want it primarily for the 45 Colt, which I do shoot and reload. It's one of the few DA revolvers in that caliber I can get here.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
I never liked idea of having short round like 45 ACP, fired in long chamber for 45 Colt. Bullet freebore jump is almost .400". That cannot help accuracy. Of course, here and there will be revolver that will do OK, but wast majority of the revolvers will shoot like you described.

If one wants to have same revolver shooting 45 Colt and 45 ACP, Ruger has a number of so called "Convertible" models with dual cylinders:

See more here https://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/models.html

Yes, I know about those. I've said it before, I'm not looking for a SA revolver. I know the 45 Colt is much more "home" in those, but it's really not what I'm looking for. Not that I wouldn't like getting one, but as I'm looking for several things in a revolver, I can either end up buying several revolvers that would meet the individual demands, or find one that would be a compromise. A Redhawk in .45 Colt is the best compromise I can find. Not cheap, but will cost me less than buying three separate revolvers that would be each good in one of those things.

Last edited:

Onty

Single-Sixer
If you want "boomer" 45 Colt in DA revolver, Redhawk is the only choice at this moment as a new gun. But, there is also used Colt Anaconda in 45 Colt, although, they are not very common. Those revolvers could take "Ruger level" loads.

However, if your intention is to stick to SAAMI level loads, as others pointed, there are S&W M25 and M625 ( https://durysguns.com/product/smith-wesson-625-3-45-colt/ ). Can't go wrong with these. I would just make sure that revolver is one of their later models, with so called "ENDURANCE PACKAGE". These ones were made using CNC equipment, but also, some critical items were redesigned and/or made of harder, stronger steel. Yeah, some will say that older S&W guns were better fitted and smoother. And in most cases they are right. However, when talking about durability, those older revolvers are behind newer ones. Here is one M25 with slim barrel I would like to have:

S&W M25 45 Colt.jpg

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I have an early BH with both cylinders and never shot ACP's through it since I always had Colt brass. If I didn't have Colt brass the ACP would be a decent option.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
If you want "boomer" 45 Colt in DA revolver, Redhawk is the only choice at this moment as a new gun. But, there is also used Colt Anaconda in 45 Colt, although, they are not very common. Those revolvers could take "Ruger level" loads.

However, if your intention is to stick to SAAMI level loads, as others pointed, there are S&W M25 and M625 ( https://durysguns.com/product/smith-wesson-625-3-45-colt/ ). Can't go wrong with these. I would just make sure that revolver is one of their later models, with so called "ENDURANCE PACKAGE". These ones were made using CNC equipment, but also, some critical items were redesigned and/or made of harder, stronger steel.

SWs in .45 Colt are very hard to find in my country and even a used one will cost more than a new Redhawk. The price of a Redhawk is very high for me already and I'm not paying even more for a used handgun. Not for any handgun, I guess. The Anaconda is the same story, just even harder to find.

Thel

Blackhawk
Another option albeit somewhat rare is a Dan Wesson revolver. Currently, there is one listed on Gun Broker. The interchangeable barrels may or may not be of use to you. Prices are high on these, though.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
Another option albeit somewhat rare is a Dan Wesson revolver. Currently, there is one listed on Gun Broker. The interchangeable barrels may or may not be of use to you. Prices are high on these, though.

Buying from Gunbroker is not an option for me. Also, I really want a Ruger revolver. I thought on a Ruger forum I'll find some support for that idea :D

contender

Ruger Guru
You do get a lot of support here. I think many folks do NOT look at where you are located.

Other countries do not have the selection, the ease of access or the inventory that we enjoy here in the USA.

You want a Ruger,, and yes,, they are excellent. You've studied it,, and made your decision. Stick to it,, and you won't be disappointed. Yes, the current availability of many models is limited or not current,, but it is changing.

But even here,, the availability of the Redhawk in .45 Colt has always been limited. As many Rugers as I see,, not often do I see casual sales of the Redhawk in .45 Colt much.
If you have a dealer who is trying to get you one,, and says he should be able to do so,, GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!

I'm a .45 Colt caliber fan. The Redhawk can handle ammo from mild to wild. I think your choice is an excellent one.

Hankus

Blackhawk

Knecht

Single-Sixer
Local importer says they should get the Redhawks in either November shipment, or early in '24. They're taking orders on the .45 model, so unless they have no idea what are they doing, it looks like Ruger is about to make some. Or they can possibly have an older contract with a dealer (or Ruger directly) who has some still in stock. I don't know. Right now I'm waiting whether my Old Army sells, to help me fund this purchase.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
Well, in the end it looks like I have to let the Redhawk plans go... money is tight. I may yet revisit the SA option though, have a good offer for an unfired old model Vaquero in .45LC, from 97.

Latest posts