Cross draw carry...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ConradM

Blackhawk
s4s4u":1vdb72th said:
It is all one motion, all in one direction. Strong side draw requires three distinct motions and direction changes. I can crossdraw in less than one second to fire, not so quick strong side. To each their own.

What 3 motions does strong side require?

ConradM

Blackhawk
s4s4u":1w8s97gi said:
Your avatar shows #2.

Ok... that doesn't really answer the question. and how would cross draw not require the same 3 motions.. + having to turn your body. I'm not trying to be an ass.. Just wondering if I'm missing something.

BusMaster007X

Bearcat
ConradM":13vnvbcw said:
Oh I've tried both extensively. I carry both ways also. As I stated cross draw makes me feel more secure in that there's less of a chance of a gun grab.

I just don't think it could be logically argued that cross draw is as fast as strong side. But that's the only real downside. Cross draw does ride in a car better as well as making it harder for a gun grab from behind.

Glad I happened on this timely topic. :)
I'm planning on buying a FIST #42 "Driving Holster to Crossdraw" for my Beretta Mini Cougar 8040F.
http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/42.htm
42.jpg

Also, see the video link.

FIST HOME PAGE:
http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/Default.htm

I found the site and products to be interesting.
The highlighted comments in the quote are what brought me into the thread.
I am a driver by profession, and I do a lot of personal driving, as well. It would be nice to have a good holster specifically for the crossdraw position, my preferred carry.
I found that this is most natural for ME. I also like to carry in a horizontal shoulder holster. Instead of going to different locations and getting lost...I chose to just go with carrying on the same side of the body, OWB/Crossdraw or Shoulder Holster. Simplified it for myself!
As a driver, it IS easier to reach, as I'm right-handed.

Now, the highlighted comments:
I remember reading in a magazine ( before the interwebs... 8) ) that crossdraw made it a little too easy for a perp to snag your gun off of you and have it pointing in the right direction - AT YOU - so it was poo-pooed by that author.
I say if you choose your options well, it won't be that easy. I prefer a thumb-break for safety/retention, also against 'the author' of some articles.
Well, tough titties. That's my choice.

Somehow, a gun-grab from behind might work out just opposite of what I wrote above, except for the thumb-break factor, so I won't delve into trying to explain or BS my way through it tonight.

I'll just stop here and say I do prefer the Crossdraw Carry method over others, if I can control that factor.
As for sweeping people or whatever, if a strongside draw goes awry, it has just as much chance of doing damage via ricochet as does any other method of carry.
As for speed? I think practice is the best road to success.

Lastly, NEVER carry SOB unless you want to chance paraplegia whilst falling on your ass and roscoe simultaneously...that one I can agree with 'the author' on.
:)

CATTLEDAWG

Bearcat
If the proper technique is used, crossdraw can be just as fast as strong side...sometimes faster...also...if done correctly, there is no sweeping...