Coyote pics

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Here in northeastern NJ we usually see them singly. Sometimes trying to get into trash cans and such. They were actually re-introduced here in the late 1930s supposedly to control the deer population. Not to successful at that, but they really don't bother anyone where I am, though there have been aggressive occasions in state parks and such.

Last edited:

CAJUNCHEF

Bearcat
Here in South Louisiana, we are slowly being overrun by coyotes.
I live outside city limits from a small town an hour NW of New Orleans, next to 200square miles of WMA,bottom land hardwoods and a huge swamp.
Not unusual to hear and occasionally see coyotes.

I'm still need to "punch my tag' on one, I know that a coyote or 3 killed one of my cats. Dogs are indoors.

I keep a 77/22 Magnum loaded with JHP, by the back door; we shoot around here, my neighbors all have and use guns.
The state wildlife department requires that you call the sheriff's department if shooting at night. I have and they don't have any concerns.
I shot one on my farm several years ago with the 77/22, but it was a quartering on shot at about 60 yards, in the shoulder, but didn't kill it, and he took off in a full run, I missed the next two shots.
Next time will be a head shot. Longest distance I can shoot is about 70 yards.

My Ruger 77 African in .223 REM is next choice, just don't want to shoot that at night in the small neighborhood.

In the New Orleans suburb of Metairie, coyotes are prowling some neighborhoods, and this is a densely populated area.
My hunting buddy told me that some have gotten neighbors cats and small dogs.

Jefferson Parish ( County) should do the same thing they did with nutrias in the 1990s, and deploy SWAT snipers at night to take them out. Back then, nobody complained and JP snipers shot hundreds of the destructive creatures; they can ruin levees and canals.
Probably in today's crazy world, somebody would complain, but 90% of residents would support that mission.

I hate coyotes.

I can safely say the 22 sub-sonic will not ensure a quick/clean kill of a coyote unless it's a perfect headshot. The yotie may die but not likely right away. This is from personal experience based on killing trapped coyotes. A suppressed 17 HMR is minimum for such use and actually quieter than the typical 22HV.