coyote trapping

Help Support Ruger Forum:

langenc

Single-Sixer
contender said:
Kudos on the other yote! Love it!

Deer releases,,, the safest way would be to take a sheet of plywood,, (3/8 or 7/16) cut a slot about 2" wide, about 10" long in the middle of the 8 ft side. A couple of handles on one side help. Using the handles,, holding the plywood sideways,, approach the deer,, placing the slot over the leg,, set it down,, and you have the trap & lower leg on your side of the plywood,, while the kicking & upset deer is on the other side. Two people doing this is better. One to hold the plywood, while the other opens the trap.

Good for bobcat and anything else you dont want to keep.

"Good for bobcat and anything else you don't want to keep."

So true.
OK guys, I'm in for some fun and good entertainment now and then but removing a bobcat from a foothold trap does not fit that criteria. I have officially put a trap placement clause in the family agreement after removing a large and quite upset goat from a trap one morning and an even bigger but less murderous guard dog from another 6 hours later.
The dog was running and playing the next morning so no lasting damage. The goat is still limping but expected to survive-DARN IT, should have used more walking stick anesthetic.

A.J.

Single-Sixer
langenc said:
A.J. said:
I hear coyotes at night every once in a while, but never see them. They are not a nuisance around here, so I would not shoot them if presented the opportunity.

How do you know that?? How many turkeys, rabbits etc do they eat in a month??
Kill em all and cats, coon, esp possums and skunks. They are like vacuum cleaners on the ground nesters.

I only shoot things that need shooting. Everything else gets a pass. When in doubt, I don't shoot.

I thought all the traps had been tripped but had still been checking from the barnyard with binos. Guess I missed something yesterday. Was driving down the field road this afternoon and HOLY SMOKES there's a coyote but it's not running away. Sure enough, the only remaining set trap had caught another big female yotie.
That makes 5 using the 'hay pile set' and 8 total coyote catches so far this winter. Five in one 15 acre field.
The guy riding with me was somewhat surprised when I stepped off the Ranger, grabbed my 'tap stick', and just walked up and whacked Ms. Yotie. He said "Geez, I was expecting you'd shoot it. I replied "Ammo is expensive, Dude".

No season on Coyotes here, have at it anytime you like!
Most guys bait them in these parts, usually have a light and an alarm that goes off in the house
so you can shoot em from your bedroom window! still plenty of them around tho! ps