Coyote pics

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nekvermont

Buckeye
Here's a couple of my favorite coyote pictures I got back in 2018. We had a lot of coyotes around that year and were actually seeing them during the day, which is uncommon for us. this pack of 4 were eating a lot of apples out of our orchards and eating corn and soybeans from the neighbors property. I don't see blond coyotes very often.

Attachments

• day time coyotes.JPG
    day time coyotes.JPG
    362.2 KB · Views: 97
  • night time coyotes.JPG
    night time coyotes.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 93

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree with Mobuck,, anytime I see a coyote,, I do my darndest to not let it get away. I've had to deal with way too many pet & livestock kills due to them.

nekvermont

Buckeye
Believe me, I shoot them every chance I get, but the opportunity doesn't present itself very often. Trapping works a little better for me.

fiasconva

Blackhawk
My son-in-law showed me a pic he took of one that has been visiting the woods behind his house. He wanted to know if it was a fox or a coyote. It was an almost hairless coyote completely eaten up with mange and skin and bones. I felt sorry for it and hope someone saw it and put it out of its misery.

My neighbor photographed one a little while ago in her back yard. I haven't seen it yet. I told her if I saw it she could stop by the next day and look because it wasn't going anywhere overnight, just going to lay there. Of course we also had a black bear spotted down the street about a week ago. If I see that I am going to make a lot of noise and hopefully send it on its way; there will be no shooting.

Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
I know they're around our area because in the summertime with the windows open at night I can hear a pack them yipping excitedly about 10 to 12 at night! I figure they have just made a kill and are verbalizing the excitement of a meal. My wife and some neighbors have seen one at times around the neighborhood.
I've heard that coyotes used to be loners but have changed to pack hunters to survive. Adapt to the situation. The COO at the tissue bank I worked at said her daughter was worrisome about the coyote interactions increasing in the town she lived at in Colorado!

Hankus

Blackhawk
THAT is the reason I always carry around one of my .45LC Blackhawks when I'm at my mother-in-law's property in GA. I usually carry with alternating snake shot and hog-killer (coyote-killer, bobcat-killer) rounds during the warmer months and forgo the snake shot during the winter. Our hunt club had a steadfast rule; If you see a coyote or a bobcat along with your deer you shoot the predator first! Last Thanksgiving I was taking a midday ride on the four wheeler and spotted a coyote ~30 yards away. I took my right hand off the throttle, drew and took my shot while rolling to a stop, and actually missed! As soon as Ruger releases a lever action in .45LC I plan to be all over it!

B-O-B'03

Bearcat
This is behind my house, I find lots of pet parts out there and try to encourage the coyotes to be else where.
It is open season on them in Texas, just not in my neighborhood, else I would drop them.
I am thinking a well placed, sub sonic, .22LR might do the trick and not annoy the neighbors.
This one was ~40 yards from my deck, looking straight at me, idiots around here feed them and they have little fear of humans.

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2786.JPG

Here is SW central Florida single coyotes are frequently seen, one in front of our home about 4AM walking down the street. Bobcats are only occasionally seen. Our favorite hunting animal has been a family of Otters in our connected pond system. Seldom seen but one sighting a big, beautifully sleek black fur male was proudly holding a huge Florida Soft Shell Turtle in his mouth by the neck. No gators here.

This is behind my house, I find lots of pet parts out there and try to encourage the coyotes to be else where.
It is open season on them in Texas, just not in my neighborhood, else I would drop them.
I am thinking a well placed, sub sonic, .22LR might do the trick and not annoy the neighbors.
This one was ~40 yards from my deck, looking straight at me, idiots around here feed them and they have little fear of humans.

View attachment 24720

View attachment 24718
You must not really live in Texas:) So what can your neighbors do to you if you shoot one??? I assume you live outside City Limits.

Hankus

Blackhawk
Here is SW central Florida single coyotes are frequently seen, one in front of our home about 4AM walking down the street. Bobcats are only occasionally seen. Our favorite hunting animal has been a family of Otters in our connected pond system. Seldom seen but one sighting a big, beautifully sleek black fur male was proudly holding a huge Florida Soft Shell Turtle in his mouth by the neck. No gators here.
I remember driving through Bayshore Gardens at 3:00 AM back about 15 years ago and saw a sizable coyote running down Florida Blvd, that's about as suburban as you get, with no patches of woods for miles and miles.

Last edited:

3manfan

Single-Sixer

View attachment 24720

View attachment 24718
Yeah......that's likely not powerful enough to assure a humane kill. If it doesn't, it'll be a real chore to score subsequent effective hits on a running, spinning coyote that's freaking out. I'd use something with some more oomph, at least a .22 Mag & use a head shot.
Either give the neighbors a heads-up of your intentions or keep it to yourself if they'd balk at the thought of necessarily removing a predator in your area of concern. The location of origin of a single shot is often not discernible by ear-witnesses unless it's very close.
If you end up bagging it, once any possible interest should've had a few hours or so to wane, recover the carcass & dispose of it.
This is all assuming you reside in an area where such action won't resiult in a squadron of Cobra gunships & a platoon of door-kickers being dispatched to seek you out.

B-O-B'03

Bearcat
You must not really live in Texas:) So what can your neighbors do to you if you shoot one??? I assume you live outside City Limits.
Nope, we live inside the city limits, hence my hesitation to start dropping them.
There is a creek running along that tree line and there a lots of coyotes up and down it, they use it as their super highway.
The space is, roughly, 8 acres, owned by a church and has creeks on 2 sides of it.
When the firemen at the station go by all the coyotes start yipping.
I have seen as many as 5 in that same spot, laying around, sunning them selves.

Yeah......that's likely not powerful enough to assure a humane kill. If it doesn't, it'll be a real chore to score subsequent effective hits on a running, spinning coyote that's freaking out. I'd use something with some more oomph, at least a .22 Mag & use a head shot.
Either give the neighbors a heads-up of your intentions or keep it to yourself if they'd balk at the thought of necessarily removing a predator in your area of concern. The location of origin of a single shot is often not discernible by ear-witnesses unless it's very close.
If you end up bagging it, once any possible interest should've had a few hours or so to wane, recover the carcass & dispose of it.
This is all assuming you reside in an area where such action won't resiult in a squadron of Cobra gunships & a platoon of door-kickers being dispatched to seek you out.

Yeah, I was figuring that might be the case.
The next .22 up the chain is a .223 Rem and it would definitely annoy the neighbors
A friend worked for our city animal control and she told me if they find any dead animal with bullet holes, they are supposed turn it over to the police to investigate.
My grandson wants to bring his bow over, need to check with the city on that aspect.
I find lots of pet parts, collars, etc... mostly cats and worry a little about my dog... she is 80 pounds and probably OK on on one, but against a pack she would be in trouble.

-Brian

3manfan

Single-Sixer
Nope, we live inside the city limits, hence my hesitation to start dropping them.
There is a creek running along that tree line and there a lots of coyotes up and down it, they use it as their super highway.
The space is, roughly, 8 acres, owned by a church and has creeks on 2 sides of it.

The next .22 up the chain is a .223 Rem and it would definitely annoy the neighbors
A friend worked for our city animal control and she told me if they find any dead animal with bullet holes, they are supposed turn it over to the police to investigate.
My grandson wants to bring his bow over, need to check with the city on that aspect.
I find lots of pet parts, collars, etc... mostly cats and worry a little about my dog... she is 80 pounds and probably OK on on one, but against a pack she would be in trouble.

-Brian
Your options will depend on your specific location.
I find it hard to imagine that any coyote turned over to law enforcement due to it being shot would garner much of an investigation.
Good luck on your issue.

3manfan

Single-Sixer

-Brian

Latest posts