Could it exist? Blued, DA, .357, Brass Grip Frame etc...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

M. HALL

Bearcat
Hello RF.com Family.

I have reading but not posting for a long while now. It is nice to see some of the same great Members are still around.

For various reasons of caliber consolidating, thumb/hand problems and sheer desire I am in search of a gunsmith or variation of a design.

What I am looking for is a Blued .357/.38 double-action revolver with Brass grip frame. Something that could compliment a brass lever action rifle. Could it exist, as in gunsmith you know of? If you think it could or have other thoughts please share.

Another out there thought could include adjustable rear sight.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Matt
henry-h006mr-rifles.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm not familiar with any brass framed DA revolvers. Brass presents a casting & machining issue to where it's cost prohibitive to build them. Even Ruger scrapped many SA frames because of issues.
And many of the rifles,,, the parts are flatter & easier to make.
I don't think anybody has made any except a one of custom.

Nothing is impossible if you have enough money to spend on the project. Since essentially all modern DA revolvers have a "uniframe" construction wherein the grip frame is part of the main frame, this would present an interesting challenge to the 'smith, deciding whether to manufacture a complete frame from brass or somehow separating the grip frame portion from the main frame as on SA guns.

A simpler approach might be to just produce a brass grip frame for a Colt "Lightning" or similar gun if that configuration would meet your requirements. Starting point . . .

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/642468251

I don't know of a 'smith for this project. Good luck.

:)

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I believe you could have any double action revolver, or any part there of, brass plated. It wouldn't hold up very well and there might be some fitting problems.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
As noted, double action revolvers have their grips frames integral with the rest of the frame and they aren't replaceable. I wonder if Ceracoat or a similar durable coating could be had in a color that could pass for brass.

Mus408

Hunter
Well there is one that could be...the Charter Arms DA revolvers use a separate grip frame that is aluminum. I suppose a good machinist/gun smith could make one out of brass.

However I'm sure you were thinking of a nice Ruger to base your project on.

Cholo

Staff member
You could have the Ruger trigger assembly professionally coated to look like brass, kind of like the old Bearcats. Remember, not all Henry's are solid brass. Their Golden Boy Rifles are Brasslite. It looks pretty darn good, IMHO.

The receiver cover on the Golden Boy is a cast part made from an alloy. The gold finish is a plating. The receiver cover is not "sheet metal". The rimfire rifles are a completely different design than the centerfire Henry's. Aug 19, 2009 www.Rimfirecentral.com

Mus408 said:
Well there is one that could be...the Charter Arms DA revolvers use a separate grip frame that is aluminum. I suppose a good machinist/gun smith could make one out of brass.

. . . or just get the aluminum one brass-plated.

:wink:

M. HALL

Bearcat
Nothing good comes from sleep deprived nights. I would've loved to make this creation a Ruger as that is what I have the most of to contribute by funding or with parts. :wink:

Thanks to all that offered up any advice or direction. Brass plating an Ruger DA may be the only way to keep it in the Ruger family. I have never worn through the coating on a Bearcat.

Would anyone care to recommend any other revolver that they would pair with the lever action shown above? Double action and .38/.357 take precedent over wants.

Thanks again.

Matt

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
M. HALL said:
Would anyone care to recommend any other revolver that they would pair with the lever action shown above? Double action and .38/.357 take precedent over wants.
Old Smith & Wesson 357 model 19. Take the barrel and cylinder and all the internals out and have the frame brass plated.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=31&products_id=716006086/used+smith+&+wesson+19-4+.357

NikA

Buckeye
Colt M1877 would probably be the most traditional option. It also has a separate grip frame that could be plated. I don't know if anyone makes replicas, but you might find one in rough condition to work on. Nice ones would probably be too expensive for a project like this.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
Well, I suppose this is a pretty subjective concept. Personally, I like to pair a classic single action revolver with my lever action rifle. But you've stated clearly you want a double action.

Personally (again) to me it wouldn't be worth the cost of having a frame brass plated just to match the rifle. And again, you are certainly free to disagree.

The Model 19 was the first DA revolver that to came to mind here as well. It is a classic. Another option might be a S&W Model 28. Less expensive than a 27, and you're refinishing the frame anyway.

A Ruger Security Six or Speed Six might fill the bill as well.

Bottom line, its your money, you need to figure out what YOU like and are willing to spend your money on.

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
MAybe one of teh Colt Thunderer replicas are double action like the originals were. I have no knowledge, just my way of adding mud to the waters. TD

M. HALL

Bearcat
jerryp5878 thanks for the thought. This is not a must have. It is a want so I am taking my time.

I agree the copper would be too close but not quite the match. That could actually look worse.

I could go with my longer lever action, non-carbine, in silver and make it easy on myself. Hell, even the blued .22 carbine is possible but I am looking to match the .357.

Again, thanks to all who have looked and offered up any ideas.

Matt