Component shortage looming?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I don't reload, but thought this might be of interest to those who do. It seems that some components are being impacted due to the need for factory ammo mfg's to supply ammo to feed all those new gun owners, in addition to everyone else who is stocking up.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/reloading-supplies-inventories-getting-tight-as-ammunition-sales-soar/

Reloading Component Inventories Getting Tight as Ammunition Sales Soar

GeneralAvailability-1536x435.jpg

SpecificAvailability-1536x1131.jpg

NikA

Buckeye
I've never been overly impressed with Brownells' or Midway's ability to keep items in stock.

Looking at the Starline brass website, both 38 and 9mm brass are currently available, while .223 and 45 are backordered.

Reading the full article, the author's concerns are the same as mine: primers are the choke point and the only item not currently available. There are some good recipes out there (on CB, for instance) for homemade priming compound in a pinch.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I guess that since I'm not shooting until the covid thingie passes........I've got enough components to last till then. Haven't been to my range since mid-March (and it's outdoors)......
:-(

I ordered 9mm and 38 bullets today with no issues. My first place was sold out and not taking back orders on 9mm. A few clicks and I found a better price and they are shipping tomorrow. Guess I don't understand not taking an order? They are making more each and every day, but would not take my money and ship later in the week. They lost a sale today and probably my future business.

As far as primers and powder goes----just a shame that lots of guys never were involved with Boy Scouts where they would have learned to Be Prepared.

mikld

Blackhawk
AJGUNNER said:
As far as primers and powder goes----just a shame that lots of guys never were involved with Boy Scouts where they would have learned to Be Prepared.
Yep, or didn't hear the fable about "The Ant and the Grasshopper"...

Rclark

Hunter
I'm not shooting until the covid thingie passes...
My dentist suggested maybe end of next year... You got a long wait.... Personally I think it is over-hyped by the media for political purposes. Our range has been and still open. Was a fun gun weekend over the 4th. Now they have contests and such going on for the next couple of weeks :( .

I haven't really looked for components lately, but I didn't see anything out of normal when passing through the isles. Last few weeks I haven't seen any bulk .22. While waiting to fill out the paperwork for my new .45 Colt Model P, I didn't see any on the back shelf where this store normally has them. I've been just in replenishing mode anyway. Stocked up so no worries (on all components).

Johnnu2

Hunter
Quote: "My dentist suggested maybe end of next year... You got a long wait...."

I KNOW.....
but I WILL NOT take up golf.....

J.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I called the Sierra outlet store. .22 bullets were about all they had. I asked for .429 and .452 dia. slugs. I've not called Missouri Bullet Co. I guess I need to drive over and buy more.

Mus408

Hunter
daveg.inkc said:
I called the Sierra outlet store. .22 bullets were about all they had. I asked for .429 and .452 dia. slugs. I've not called Missouri Bullet Co. I guess I need to drive over and buy more.

I placed a large order with Missouri Bullets last week so hopefully I might get them in another 2 wks.

Rclark

Hunter
I was running low on .44 240 SWCs, so ordered two boxes from Rimrock. As they have free shipping, I also added .45 Colt 250g RNFPs and .357 158g SWCs to the order. Arrived today. Back to normal inventory here for a few weeks.

but I WILL NOT take up golf.....
LOL, I am with you there! I fly R/C Airplanes, which gets me outside on Saturday mornings or whenever!

blammer

Single-Sixer
I've been seeing sporadic availability locally and online. Started with finished ammo. During this time I got some components with minimal searching. Recently, even bullets I'd ordered and received a week ago are now not available. I ordered some MBC 9mm bullets beginning of July and it was scheduled to be delivered by MBC end of July. We'll see.

Seems like you have to get there or see it online right after they get a shipment. Even the less-popular calibers (like 357 sig, 40S&w) are getting scarce, even the expensive ammo.

I'm not in panic mode as I have enough to keep me going if I don't go crazy at the range. Pretty much just trying new loads.