Component Prices and Time

Help Support Ruger Forum:

magpouch

Single-Sixer
I would pay whatever I had to in order to get 5000 primers and 8lbs of powder if I had none now. We have no idea how long this may last or even if it may get worse. I have seen component prices still rising even though there seems to be more available than 5-6 months ago.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
People see what they want to usually and for some reason a lot of people want to be right about prices never coming down. But the fact remains they almost always come back down to just above where the were. Ammo prices are already down from the highest they were in the last couple years and when people stop over-paying for primers, those will come down too.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
People see what they want to usually and for some reason a lot of people want to be right about prices never coming down. But the fact remains they almost always come back down to just above where the were. Ammo prices are already down from the highest they were in the last couple years and when people stop over-paying for primers, those will come down too.
They will never return to the prices we used to have. They will drop some, but not to where they were. That is the trick. They let you get used to very high prices, then as demand eases, they drop it some, and everyone is happy, not realizing they are still paying too much!

Huskerguy72

Bearcat
I don't understand many things in life, these are just a few.

Most everything we use in everyday life has increased in price significantly. Food, fuel, natural gas (I am seeing 50% increases predicted this winter), and most anything requiring a raw material.

Then throw in a high demand for some things, i.e. fuel, raw materials and even ammo.

Add a little dose of regulation and taxes and what would you expect. We can also add supply chain and the ability to increase prices due to demand.

I see ammo everywhere I go but the prices seem high. I reload my own so buying new ammo is not for me but I get asked by others "what's a good price for 9mm or .223".

Prices may fluctuate or even come down some but they will never be close to what we were paying just a couple years ago. There are simply too many variables all going against it happening. I guess it is OK to dream though.

Rich/WIS

Bearcat
Components, particularly primer, are an issue but the situation is improving. Even at todays costs price per round is not bad. Primers for 10cents, powder maybe 2 cents, bullets variable depending on jacketed, plated or lead 8 to 25 cents. Top end for jacketed 37 cents, or @ $18 for 50, cast 20 cents or @ $10 for fifty. Worst case about half the cost of factory and best case abour a quarter the cost of factory. If you do not reload now adding the cost of equipment you pay for the equipment quickly at that savings level.