Another Ammo Shortage?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triker

Single-Sixer
What has happened to the 44 sp and 45 Colt ammo? Can find a little of the high priced ammo, but none of my regular sources have any of the lower priced stuff. Manufacturer slowing down or people starting to hoard again? Luckily I reload, but like to have a few boxes of factory ammo on hand. Triker

Three50seven

Buckeye
Neither of those are considered "popular" cartridges by the general shooting public. I would venture to say the vast majority of people who shoot 44 Spl and 45 Colt are handloaders as well.

mikld

Blackhawk
"Popular" inexpensive calibers are in " short" supply because they are used more than the more expensive ammo. Most of the time Mr. Shooter that buys ammo to just go to the range and pop off a few isn't going to buy premium ammo when he can find some for about 1/2 the price. In my area 22 lr is a feast/famine type of supply. One day the shelves will be running over and a few days they have been sold off and the lightly filled shelves are waiting for the next shipment (next month?).

As for 44 Special and 45 Colt, neither are a money maker, high traffic caliber and not as popular (that that I have seen are high priced even for the plain, LRN mild loads). In my town there are only two places to buy factory ammo and they won't stock something that doesn't sell. While I really like 44 Special, I haven't found any factory ammo for several years and that was at the indoor range I used to frequent in LA...

Mus408

Hunter
If you reload...carry on. I might pick up a box of .45 ACP if I see a good deal to shoot and reload the brass but I load for all my needs.

mikld

Blackhawk
On the topic of shortages; Someone, somewhere screamed "we might run out of TP" (for no good reason) and that started a run. Now the TP shelves are bare nationwide. There are two threads running just on this forum, and who knows how many on other forums so we are going to create an "artificial shortage" caused by all the talk and a bunch of reloaders reading these threads that think "I gotta get mine before someone else gets it all!". Should we be careful of what we say?

I'm not worried for myself as I have more than plenty of primers, powders, bullets and a half ton of lead. Just thinking out loud (and trying to figger out what leafs are good for "personal hygiene")... :mrgreen:

I agree. Threads like these cause people to start hoarding.

I was at the gun store with reloading supplies. They are fully stocked with a good selection. I only bought one pound of powder and some primers.

The LGS I was in yesterday was putting 10 box limits on .223 & 7.62x39 and 2 bricks of 22lr.

I seldom buy centerfire ammo except SD carry. I did spend some time running about 20 POUNDS (not rounds) of 9mm Gold Dot HP reloads through the LEE factory profile crimp die so it passes the "plunk test" for the snug chambered AR9 "pistols".