Reloading component question:

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tom black

Blackhawk
Since the CV thing started the only primers I find around home are Federal LR or LP. My nephew works at WM and he just texted me saying his store had just got in some Federal 22s. So why do I see Federal brand but none of the others? Just curious. Thanks.
Tom

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Well Tom, my best guess is that Federal has not been shipping all of its production
for a while. Thus they still have more for current shipments.

Way back when, there was a CCI video out where you could see how .22lr were
made. They also had a clip of the many millions of rounds they were shipping, PER
DAY, at that time. - - - We currently have a huge number of "new" shooters that are
new because they have gone into full PANIC mode, and buy up every box of every
single item they find.

For the next foreseeable period, we are just having to watch the shelves and grab
what we can, when we can. It remains unknown how long this will last. - - - When
we have literally millions of new shooters, it WILL take a long time to stock their
shelves with enough to let the supply filter out to established shooters.

P.S. That's where having good quality pellet pistols and rifles keeps your shooting
skills at a higher level. :wink:

NikA

Buckeye
Federal, CCI, and Speer are all manufactured by the same company, albeit very likely at different plants.

Not sure where the OP is located, but it's possible he's closer to the Federal production facility than the others and shipments aren't moving as far in the current market.

Of course, that's just idle speculation on my part.

Have any of the large companies, like CCI addressed this issue of no primers or ammunition on the shelves? I looked at CCI's website and couldn't find anything. Something like a letter from the CEO?

Surly they know there is a higher demand right now.

NikA

Buckeye
Yes, the CCI/Federal/Speer president has filmed at least 2 video updates that have been posted in the Lounge and are still available on YouTube.

In the latest one, he came out and said 100% of primer production is being used internally. That tells me not to expect primers to be available
at "normal prices" until at least the next election cycle.

mikld

Blackhawk
My thinking is either some "big wig" at Federal was thinking and upped production pre-Joe, or they had more product in their warehouses...

NikA said:
Yes, the CCI/Federal/Speer president has filmed at least 2 video updates that have been posted in the Lounge and are still available on YouTube.

In the latest one, he came out and said 100% of primer production is being used internally. That tells me not to expect primers to be available
at "normal prices" until at least the next election cycle.

Thank you, I just searched it out and watched the video.