Powder shortage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wwb

Hunter
The wildfires in Australia have destroyed the plant that provides some of Hodgdon's powders. I'm not certain which ones will be affected, but I heard from my dealer that Clays will be one of them.

I just called and had him put 2 of the 8 lb. jugs aside for me, to be picked up this afternoon....one for me, and one for a friend. That, along with the 4 or 5 lb. I still have on hand, should get me through this year and well into next year.

Edited to add.... about halfway down the page is a list of all the Hodgdon powders made in Australia. It's a long list, and contains a lot of popular powders. If you use any of them, you may want to stock up while there are still some in the pipeline.

Check here: https://revivaler.com/hodgdon-powder-adi-australian-connection/

Moderator edit: Good post, relocated to this subforum. :mrgreen:

Rook

Blackhawk
I stay stocked up. Maybe I could help them out and sell them some powder until they get back on their feet again.

jgt

Buckeye
This highlights the drawbacks in global marketing. It is one thing when we loose a powder plant in the Nevada desert. It is a different ball game when dealing with another country. Trees grown for wood pulp to supply paper mills take a good twenty years to grow. I wonder what plant they use in Australia for the cellulous.

gunzo

Hunter
WWB,
If ya get a chance you should ask your dealer where the info came from on the factory fire. I'm far from a whiz on a computer, but unable to find any info of fire in the area of the sporting powder facility in Mulwala, New S. Wales.
Of course there could be others, but little info is available.

Hodgdon admits to a shortage of certain powders at the moment. But claims it's due to increased demand, & inventory control not foreseeing the increase. No mention of supplier problems.

Just curious here.

wwb

Hunter
Talked to the dealer yesterday.... he says he heard it from his wholesaler. I did some looking, and couldn't find anything on it.

From what I could find, the nearest fire was about 30 miles away. Maybe they shut down as a precautionary measure, and the story changed as it passed from one to another. Dunno.

LAH

Buckeye
wwb said:
Talked to the dealer yesterday.... he says he heard it from his wholesaler. I did some looking, and couldn't find anything on it.

From what I could find, the nearest fire was about 30 miles away. Maybe they shut down as a precautionary measure, and the story changed as it passed from one to another. Dunno.

There's certainly been enough fire to take out about anything.

gunzo

Hunter
^^ Agreed.

While the fire may or may not have burned the factory, there was enough of them that they very well could disrupt incoming raw material & outgoing finished product shipments.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
If the question marks are for my post, the OP stated that Clays would be short in supply since a plant in Australia burned.

But...Clays is made in a plant in Canada. So there is not a direct connection to the Australa fires and a shortage of Clays.

wwb

Hunter
Just got back from 4 weeks of "hiding from winter".... Texas Gulf coast is nice this time of year(at least if you compare it to Wisconsin).

Anyhow, I looked at my old 8 pound jug of Clays - about 18 months old - says "Made in Australia Packaged in the USA". New jug says "Made in Canada". go figure.

gunzo

Hunter
H4350 & Varget are the scarcest right now. It was the same 2 during the BIG shortage. While they were around for a while, I don't think they got caught up with demand, or just barely had, when another glitch in supply or surge in demand happened.

Ammo, reloading components, toilet paper. Three things you just don't run to the store to buy at the moment you need them.

Latest posts