Colt Python?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
Bought a new blue 6" Python in '79 for $389. I've probably killed more small critters with that gun than all my other handguns combined. I havn't shot it in about 10 years, not because I'm afraid of hurting it, I just prefer bigger and smaller bores. I find it an extremely easy gun to shoot well, but don't see it running circles around my other 6" .357's.

Back about '75/'76 a guy I worked with had a perfect blue 4" for sale for $150. I was flat broke :(

JNewell

Single-Sixer
btrumanj":s037k9i2 said:
I know a lot of Ruger enthusiasts have other brand revolvers. My question is, does anyone here have a Colt Python that actually shoots it. I've seen quite a number of Pythons at the indoor range I shoot at but have never seen a person actually fire one. They are displayed in their box or case to be looked at, admired and commented on, but no touching. Then they are lovingly put back in the shooters bag. Just curious :)

I think I've owned three over the years. Probably accounted for less than a box across the lot. Sold 'em all and have to say - no regrets. Great safe queens...had bad luck with Colt service and there are few others left who even pretend to know how to properly work on one of these, and they do need upkeep if fed .357s on a steady basis.

Ethang

Blackhawk
I still cry when I think about it.
During the Ban I had bought a Python from Ebay for a song. (under $400). I hired on to a small department and wanted a Glock to be like the rest of the guys. Traded that BEAUTIFUL 4inch Python that I picked up for a song on a Glock 22 and hi-cap mags.

When I had it I shot it alot. It was super accurate and I really think I shot it better then my 66 that I had before it.

I really liked that gun and kick myself every time I think about it.

Snake45

Hawkeye
bub":2ojen1ak said:
6933ace54201.jpg

fac968038db0.jpg

Bub
Yep, I've shot groups like that with my 6". My 4" one has never been nearly as accurate.

Groo

Bearcat
Groo here
I carried one for 8 years till the prices went so high.
Used it at our last trip to Thunder Ranch ..
Was like finding an old friend,don't mess with Snake Men...

CPeterJr

Bearcat
Decades ago I ordered a new 6-inch blue Python, and immediately sent it off to gunsmith Jerry Moran in Cleo, Michigan. He'd been featured in several magazines concerning how he modified Pythons—the only gunsmith to have the end product a single smooth trigger pull, and not even remotely two-stage. I'd met him at at a national silhouette shoot held locally and was impressed how using one of his Pythons and standing many of the far-off targets went "Clunk". I got it back a year later. Then Moran dropped out of sight. Nobody I've been able to query knows where he is.

My Python is s-m-o-o-t-h and light and still can fire magnum primers. Fellow shooters at our pistol club have more than once offered me mucho bucks for it. No way! It's my favorite revolver, and the one I use to shoot combat revolver at the club. (Several member have kidded me—I think—saying shooting this Python I ought to have a handicap subtracted from my score.

Love it. And, it's beautiful.

Shadow

Single-Sixer
Have a 4" w/ beautiful diamond checkered custom pre-ban Elephant Ivory Target grips made by my friend, Gil Valencia Ferrar (deceased) who crafted presentation grade rifle stocks for Roy Weatherby. I purchased the Python in 1970, born in 1966, (unfired), from a friend who needed the money, and 'til today still hasn't been fired. Colt's original Royal Blue finish on these wheel guns was incredible back then, and it's still incredible today. I did have a 6" Python, built in 1970, also Royal Blue, in xlnt condition, that had a few careful rounds thru it when I purchased it in '75. I shot several rounds thru it over the years, and not only did it operate flawlessly, it was very accurate w/ factory .357 loads @ 50 yds w/ bench rest with 1 1/2" to 2" groups. Back then I didn't think I needed 2 Pythons, so I sold it. Duh!

I'm currently looking to acquire a nicely preserved Ruger AcuSport Bisley in .44 mag, w/ 5 1/2" barrel in SS w/ unfluted cylinder, distributed exclusively by AcuSport. I'd appreciate any leads.
Thanks.
JR

Matchlock

Bearcat
I have two Colt Pythons from the 70's and the 80's a 6 and a 4 inch and I've shot both of them quite a bit.

I have a rule about guns. I never buy a gun to keep unfired, so that some day when I die, someone else gets to shoot the gun I saved unfired all those year. Nope, it ain't never gonna happen.

Regards

Matchlock

btrumanj":3n29zpfb said:
I know a lot of Ruger enthusiasts have other brand revolvers. My question is, does anyone here have a Colt Python that actually shoots it. I've seen quite a number of Pythons at the indoor range I shoot at but have never seen a person actually fire one. They are displayed in their box or case to be looked at, admired and commented on, but no touching. Then they are lovingly put back in the shooters bag. Just curious :)

Snake45

Hawkeye
Matchlock":15ti7a95 said:
I have a rule about guns. I never buy a gun to keep unfired, so that some day when I die, someone else gets to shoot the gun I saved unfired all those year. Nope, it ain't never gonna happen.

Regards

Matchlock
I like the way you think! :wink:

WingMaster

Bearcat
My dad retired as a police officer a few years ago. For years, as far back as I can remember, he carried a 4 inch Python as his service revolver. It was the second thing through a door, after his boot, on many raids over the years. He even shot a little competitively with it when I was very small. He carried it up until his department switched to issued autos.

He gets it out from time to time to shoot but he told me that the luster of shooting handguns wore off a while ago for him. I guess he did enough of it over the years. Kind of like me and swimming after lifeguarding for 7 years.

I've shot it a few time and will tell you that a trigger that sweet deserves to be shot.

Baldy

Single-Sixer
I have a 1978 model bought new in December of that year. I get it out when I want to relax a little.
07BIGMAMA.jpg

I also have a 1976 Colt Trooper MK III that I shoot fairly often.
NS.jpg

Anybody that is at the range is welcome to shoot mine if they wish. :D Unless they are a gang-banger or some kind of idiot. :evil:

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I have fired a friends 6 inch blue python and it is nice. However, the queen of the 357 magnums will continue to be the Smith & Wesson 27 in double action or a flattop Ruger. Here is my 3 1/2 inch and 5 inch blued 27's.

1208722523.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
buckeyeshooter":3n5ixz2m said:
However, the queen of the 357 magnums will continue to be the Smith & Wesson 27 in double action or a flattop Ruger.
Python vs old-school Smith 27 is a legitimate argument. Flattop Ruger is a nice gun but it simply isn't in the same league with either of them, sorry.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
Not an arguement on the overall gun as we are comparing a double action to single action and the feel is different. But the Ruger is very shootable for a single action. I agree.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
Since they have become worth their weight in uranium, a lot of them have just become trophies. Everyone I know who owns one, says it's the nicest action they have ever owned, but I've also heard that they are delicate enought that if shot a lot, they easily get out of time. I have no actual experience with them.

EarlFH

Latest posts