Colt Python?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
I've never shot one. While they look lovely I dont see the big deal of owning one UNLESS you use it. Why have a fine gun and then be afraid to shoot it. I just dont see the thinking behind it. Unless its just for bragging rights. I almost bought a used one about 20 years ago. Silly me passed on it and bought a Taruas because the Taruas was new and I didnt like the custom grips on the Python. Back then I never even considered you could swap the grips. What a stupid kid I was.

900ss

Bearcat
I'm getting one.

I recently got a S&W mod. 19 and didnt like it so I found a black lightly worn GP100 6" at 590$, gotta love those. Then this black 6" Python came up at 840$ and based on what I hear I decided to get that instead.

I havent seen it, but the owner says its very little used and near perfect. The plan is to shoot it until its out of time, fix it and keep shooting.

Probably a good time to find how many Python shooters have ever had a timing issue.

NO Timing Issues for me ever on any Colt. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it hasn't to me. S&W N-frame .357's? Yes, I've had two of those that developed timing issues...fat heavy cylinder, small holes for cylinder size.

Belt Fed

Single-Sixer
Back in 1970 I decided I was going to buy either a Python or a Smith 27. I went with the Python and never had any regrets. About a year ago a friend let me shoot his Smith 27, this reassured me that I made the right decision. I paid $125.00 plus tax for it. That was a very high price at the time. I still have it and still love it! It is a 6" Royal Blue and the action feels like it is rolling on greased ball bearings.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Cocked and Locked":1t90l5g9 said:
Probably a good time to find how many Python shooters have ever had a timing issue.
My 4" Python and my Colt Trooper (shown back on page 2), both bought used, both have timing issues. If you cock them SA very slowly, they will not lock up on one or more chambers until the trigger is pulled.

This is annoying but not really a big concern in real-world shooting. Cocked briskly (or even "normally,"), or fired quickly DA, they both lock up just fine.

Weathermaker

Bearcat
I bought a Diamondback 4" 22 in 1978. That's what I taught my kids to shoot with. In 1983, a local gun store was going out of business and I bought a Python 6" 357 they had.

A couple years ago my oldest daughter, now grown, was commenting on how she remembered learning to shoot with the Diamondback. I ended up giving her the Diamondback.

Then, I figured I ought to give the Python to my son. Well, after a year or so, I got lonely for a 357 and bought a Ruger GP100 6" 357.

Now, here's my bottom line: The Python is a sweetheart, but I really prefer the Ruger. It shoots as well and just feels better to me. The Python does have a nicer single action feel when cocking the gun, but other than that, I think the Ruger is built better.

But, that's just my opinion.