Close Call

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JackAsinus

Single-Sixer
I'm a traveling sales person and I call on jewelry stores in the upper Midwest.

Today as I entered into a jewelry store in an outdoor mall two men exited, hurriedly, at the same moment of my entry.

I watched them go by and then looked into the store. There was a hammer on the floor and the glass in the display cases was broken. The retail sales associates were in shock and crying.

It was obvious that I caught the last moments of a smash and grab. The police arrived shortly from the silent alarm and I quickly went home.

That sort of thing puts one in a difficult position. A bit sooner and you'd have been in the middle of it with armed (I'd consider a hammer as a deadly weapon) criminals.

A citizen armed or not, even a off duty cop is put in a tough position if confronted by this type of incident. The very best thing to do is to only defend yourself and become a really good witness to tell responding officers suspect details, like the escape vehicle or the suspects descriptions. Going though the door with a gun in your hand opens you up to getting shot by the store owner or in the back by responding officers. This is a good example of being a where of what's going on around you at all times. Look and listen before getting out of your vehicle, scan the parking lot as you walk towards the door, if your walking past windows prior to the door, look inside. We all stop at a door way (unless the door is automatic) look for the handle before pulling on it. Before you just pull it open look inside.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
kmoore said:
A citizen armed or not, even a off duty cop is put in a tough position if confronted by this type of incident. The very best thing to do is to only defend yourself and become a really good witness to tell responding officers suspect details, like the escape vehicle or the suspects descriptions. Going though the door with a gun in your hand opens you up to getting shot by the store owner or in the back by responding officers. This is a good example of being a where of what's going on around you at all times. Look and listen before getting out of your vehicle, scan the parking lot as you walk towards the door, if your walking past windows prior to the door, look inside. We all stop at a door way (unless the door is automatic) look for the handle before pulling on it. Before you just pull it open look inside.

Good advice. Reminds me of the awareness I had to practice in the town of DaNang (not the base), and that other town outside the fence we called Dogpatch in 1965/66, although the players were a little different.

I had a bad battery in my work vehicle a couple years ago.... borrowed the neighbors car... your basic brown Toyota something and went to the local auto store and bought a battery and was buying a few other things and the store manager offered to carry the battery out and put it in 'my' car. I pointed out the window to the car and then went and paid for everything... just as i'm done there is a ruckasss at the store next door and a car peals out of the parking lot.... seems next door had been robbed.... I get home and go to get the new battery out of the back of the car and it ain't there.... I pointed to the wrong car.... the crooks got a battery too it seems.

Latest posts