Chinese knives

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have acquired these recently and am surprised at the quality you get for the money.
20240121_084010.jpg

RSIno1

Hunter
I bought a ChiCom made Buck that uses 7Cr steel just for a cheap EDC. I've had to sharpen it twice already. My USA Bucks hold an edge much better. These are some of the choices you can get on Buck USA blades. They have also been trying a new Magna Cut alloy in "limited editions" - latin term for still to pricey for me to buy for EDC.
  • 420HC is a stainless steel that provides excellent rust resistance, ease of re-sharpening and medium edge retention.
  • 154CM is a custom steels with much higher carbon content, giving it a higher hardness ratings and dramatically higher edge retention.
  • S30V is a high vanadium stainless steel with even higher edge retention.
About 7Cr17MoV - https://knifeknowitall.com/is-7cr17mov-a-good-knife-steel-no-heres-why/

The knife maybe advertised as 7Cr, but the odds of it being anything near that are slim to none. Worse if it came from a factory that "claims" to have an ISO certification. They just make up the certification as they go along. And the ISO doesn't even try to enforce it. I've got the acid burns to prove it.

eveled

Hawkeye
You can't trust them to use the materials they claim. You can't trust them not to use lead paint. You can't trust them period.

I have some Chinese knives, but not many. I'm not buying anymore. Quality American made Buck knives are still very affordable.

jav

Single-Sixer
Some of their products aren't all that bad a just got a pair of sunglasses made in china it's actually pretty quality pair made very well

I have several US made Benchmade HK knives. I tried some of the US made Kershaw knives but they failed my liner lock test. So I stick with Benchmade. There's a couple of Buck knives in the safe, and an older US made Schrade Old Timer "Little Finger" that I just love. Some day I'll find another Puma "White Hunter" that's German made. Should have never sold my old one…

How will they hold up over time? Will they need sharpening more often, and then the steel wears down faster? Will the handle break off under normal use?

I guess in the "not buying Chinese products" camp.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Nice collection of Buck knives in an earlier post. I was gifted a Buck 110 from an ex-gf who had lost her hubby and since the knife was just sitting in a nightstand drawer, I took it out and cleaned it up, so she said I could have it rather than it just "rust out". I found those Buck black leather sheaths with the logo imprinted on them and got one for my knife. However, my two best knives are both Benchmade. My EDC is a serrated Tanto Barrage. I use this one the most. The other is one to carry on my hip. I bought a special sheath for it. It is a tie-down and comes with a fire-starter. It is the Nimravus. Having probs with my putor and pics disappeared, but the Nimravus is also a serrated Tanto. Similar to pic below.

Attachments

• Barrage 002.JPG
    Barrage 002.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Benchmade Nimravus.jpg
    Benchmade Nimravus.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Nice collection of Buck knives in an earlier post. I was gifted a Buck 110 from an ex-gf who had lost her hubby and since the knife was just sitting in a nightstand drawer, I took it out and cleaned it up, so she said I could have it rather than it just "rust out". I found those Buck black leather sheaths with the logo imprinted on them and got one for my knife. However, my two best knives are both Benchmade. My EDC is a serrated Tanto Barrage. I use this one the most. The other is one to carry on my hip. I bought a special sheath for it. It is a tie-down and comes with a fire-starter. It is the Nimravus. Having probs with my putor and pics disappeared, but the Nimravus is also a serrated Tanto. Similar to pic below.
Benchmade makes fine knives.
20240123_110127.jpg

The Barrage is my EDC also. I found some micarta scales for it on Etsy and I like them so much better than the plastic my feeling ones that come with it.

wproct

Single-Sixer
I think I own 3 knives made in China, and they are surprisingly nice for the money. However, I don't plan on buying any more. I'm old enough that I don't "need" more knives, and if I feel I must they will be made in the USA.

Reactions: jav

Fujicon

Bearcat
"Made in China" has a bad reputation when it comes to quality. But in truth, a quality product can be made in any country, just like junk can be made in any country. That said, I steer clear of products made in China so my dollars won't support their communist government that is actively opposing the United States.

There are knife 'connisewers' and there are knife users. Some can fit both into their budget and use parameters. Some are more performance based and can tolerate whatever works for them.
I for instance, don't even carry an actual knife on my chore pants except during deer season. Those every day cutting tasks are accomplished by a $3.99 folding utility knife from Menards or the knife blade on a Leatherman.
My going to town EDC, is currently a Kershaw (made in ???) that fills my needs at a modest price.
I suppose if I were heading into a long term survival situation, I'd probably go with a 'better and more expensive' knife(or just dig out one from the drawer full of those). In other words: I have 'better and more expensive" options that don't really fit my needs more effectively than the $4 job. :unsure:

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I was at a gunshow last week and a fellow asked a knife seller where a blade was made and the seller said "China" and he said no thanks, turned to me and like born twins we both simultaneously said "F those Chinese".

I never thought I'd have animosity against a country of manufacturing origin but watching the U.S become a nation of bloated CEO's a DOW pushing the $40,000 range with automation taking over even the minimum wage jobs I don't buy chinese stuff unless there's absolutely no other option.

Latest posts