Chicken or Egg?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Some of us have grown past the stage of worrying what others think (of our guns, beliefs, and other things).
There will always be advertising budgets to convince us to follow their high-margin trends.

Only deliberate accuracy is interesting. (apologies to Col. Whelen) 8)

grobin

Blackhawk
Only deliberate accuracy is interesting. (apologies to Col. Whelen)

Well some times deliberate lies are more interesting as they reveal enemies' thought processes and agenda.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
There are all kinds of discussions here about Ruger and other rifles.
If you can't find what you want, start another thread. :D

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
WAYNO said:
Sugar River said:
It's at least partly due to demographics. We grey hairs who find bolts and SS interesting are slowly, but surely,
departing the scene.
Whereas AR type rifles are the leading sellers with the under 40 crowd.

Yep.

I'd like to come here and discuss my new Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle in .308... if I could find one.

The local gun stores do not carry them, as there's just not enough customer demand. The youngsters mostly don't buy bolt guns. So I must again, order and buy online. Kind've dampens my enthusiasm sometimes.

The reason for my interest in the Gunsite Scout? I bought one of the new Ruger American Ranch rifles in 7.62x39. I think it's a dandy concept. But, I've found to satisfy my accuracy cravings, I must shoot high quality domestic ammo. That's fine too, but far more expensive than .308 ammo. So I figured the Scout rifle will do what the American Ranch rifle does, but after the initial expense, be cheaper to shoot. Yes, I know when reloading for either cartridge, ammo costs wouldn't matter, but that's for another discussion.

Anybody got one of the Scout rifles and some terrific accuracy reports? Do you prefer the muzzle brake, the flash hider, or neither?

How's that for a rifle discussion?

WAYNO.
I have a .308 Scout (16.1" barrel"). Came with a laminate stock and flash hider. When Ruger came out with the synthetic stock I got one of those, dropping the weight to a claimed 6.25 pounds. Also replaced the flash hider with a $30 brake purchased at a gun show, just for fun. Bought a Vortex extended eye relief scope and put it in Warne Quick Disconnect rings.

Ruger_Scout_308-3.jpg

Love the rifle. Got it with the intent to use it mostly with iron sights and it is great for that. Clay pigeons on the 100 yard berm are pretty much toast with the ghost ring. With the scope it is good to go much further.

Things I would change now: nothing.

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
kmoore said:
Now at 3 ARs, I feel I do not want any others, that could change.

I'm in the same boat. Sold a tack-driving .308 Win to finance my first AR, a .300 Blackout that came with a Rock River ..223/5.56 upper as well. Later got a lower for the .223/5.56. Then I built a .308 using stripped Aero upper and lower.

All shoot well and will do the intended work, but I hate chasing brass (and brass catchers hanging off my rifles). Lots of bolt rifles in my safe, mostly Ruger, might get more.

bentblade

Single-Sixer
As stated above I think it's partially due to age differences but I also think it has to do why guns are being bought. I think there is a higher demand for defensive guns and less for hunting guns these days. Many people buying Ar's and pistol cal. carbines are doing so for protection. Yeah many are range toys but many more just go into closets or gun safes waiting for the time they may be needed, Many probably will never be fired. Same can be said for handguns, look what selling in that market most offerings are aimed at the self defense market.