Scope or Red Dot for Ruger PC 9 Carbine?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Falkov

Bearcat
Red dot should be fine, but my range is minimum 50 yds, to 100 yds. I would sometimes like to see where my shot went and was actually hoping for at least some magnification.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Red dot should be fine, but my range is minimum 50 yds, to 100 yds. I would sometimes like to see where my shot went and was actually hoping for at least some magnification.
I find that Red dots weren't designed for shooting tiny targets over 50y but they shine from 25-100y at quick shots on man sized targets, that's pretty much what they designed for. I believe they're hard to beat for that job. That's one reason why Navy SEAL's love Aimpoints.

Try a quality RD which has a bright, tight circle and you'll see how easy it is to acquire and hit smallish targets quickly. I find that a good RD can easily be used in bright sunlight all the way to dusk quite easily. If youre trying to shoot 1" groups at 100y RD isn't the right tool but if you want for example hogs on the move from 25-75y to even 100y RD is hard to beat, same go for battle situations. So easy to get on target and squeeze off accurate enough shots. Easier than using magnified scopes. IMO.

My Colt M4 wears an Aimpoint and Ive taken newer shooters to my nearest range which also is 50y, 100y and 200y and have them shooting 10" paper plates often 10x10 at 50y and then out to 100 and making hits . For the last exercise for these new shooters I duct tape a quarter to a paper plate and set it at 100y and give them two 20 rnd mags and let them at it. Most shooters even though they're not experienced can manage a hit on the coin once or sometimes twice. They love the fact that there is a hole or two through the quarter and have a souvenir from their first time shooting a 'real' gun experience.
bottom line, when the war drums stop and hordes of fast mover zombies get inside the wire there's only one arm I want in my hands, my AR/RD.

Last edited:
A 3x prism is a solid compromise of precision and quick enough. For defensive purposes a larger red dot can't be beat. The Eotech and other large screen with the circle dot reticle allow for both eyes open cqb fast handling and a decent level of precision. I've found that using the largest practical dot optic is the way to go because you don't have to hunt for the dot.

Attachments

• IMG_20221129_194433896.jpg
    IMG_20221129_194433896.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20230320_152752155.jpg
    IMG_20230320_152752155.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20230303_073203355.jpg
    IMG_20230303_073203355.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 80

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
I have a Sig Romeo5 on my Beretta CX9 Storm PPC and an Aimpoint
Pro on one of my AR's. Both are motion activated so no fumbling
for an on switch and both have battery life measured in years depending
the amount of use. Personally, I like them both equally and for under
100 yard use, prefer the Dot to a Scope.
Dano

As I commented earlier, eye relief may be an issue with some 'prism' optics. Prism scopes are more picky (than the typical dot optic) as to eye relief and eye alignment with the optic.
The Burris can be used with the illumination on or off(gives you a plain black aiming reticle). This is a big plus if you expect to need to use the optic for an extended time w/o finding a fresh battery.

I just bought a Ruger PC 9 Carbine. I don't like the iron sights at all. Also my old eyes could use some help too.

What have y'all found works the best - scope or red dot?
You can get a 1-4x illuminated reticle and have the best of both worlds. You can't beat a red dot for speed. See dot shoot dot. If you want precision get a scope.

Gary Lee

Not a Fudd
I mounted a Sun Optics 3-9x scope with an AO and a Pentax reticle on my PCC. I keep it set on 3x at 25-50 yards.

Though somewhat slower, scopes are great for more precise shooting, and testing different brands of ammo to better determine which one is more consistently accurate with that particular firearm.

1689863748933.png

instructor

Single-Sixer
I already have an Eotech on one of my AR rifles and put it on the PC9 carbine. Have a magnifier as well but takes the entire top of the receiver for both of them, and adds weight as well, no magnifier will be used. Consider this PC 9 to be a fairly short-range firearm and
and less is better than more for me. Do indeed like the PC 9 for it functions fine and out to 50 yards or a bit more quite accurate as well.

That explains it if you're not wearing prescription lenses.
I got glasses at age 5. 59 years ago.
I am VERY far sighted with an acute astigmatism and light sensitivity. Had a lazy eye, wore a patch as a child, etc.
My vision is still 20/20 corrected.
Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had a problem shooting while wearing my bifocals.
Seems to me a local optometrist could help you a bunch.
Good luck to you.
I goofed around long enough trying to just use clear safety glasses while as you stated I would benefit greatly from my lenses at the range.
I started wearing an older pair with my prescription for last two or three range trips and of course its the way to go. Just got a new prescription from doctor, then ordered and received a pair of safety glasses with that.
Checked them out, sighting one of my pistols with the most minuscule sights and its great.
This route may be overkill but with ANZI rating but I'm going to have confidence and see the best possible sight picture regardless of scope/dot/open/etc sight system.

Thanks Hittman!

BigOdin

Bearcat
Within the last 2 months, I bought a new PCC in 9mm. It is the takedown version, which is very handy. I had a Sightmark SM26008 lying around that I promptly mounted on the picattiny rail. After sighting in, I was very accurate at 50 yds. Haven't tried it any further.

BTW, it's "Made in China" if that means anything. It was a gift!!!

typ240

Bearcat
I really enjoy the vortex venom on my ruger pcc, the AR mount is included and the height fits me well but definitely unable to cowitness with the iron sights.

it's made in china just like everyone's iphone, if you care!

52027241-0091-44DE-863E-67DC85C27F01.png

Last edited: