Change of things for a bit.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Carpal Tunnel surgery tomorrow on my left, dominante, hand. Looks like the semi autos will be sidelined for a bit. No real big deal I have a number of double action wheel guns from small .22's to .45 colts. Probably be sticking with .38's and .357's for a bit as they are easier to handle single handed.

My biggest problem turns out to be holsters. I don't have any right handed ones. I do fortunately have a few from Simply Rugged that allow strong or cross so I've been practicing a "cavalry" draw for a few weeks.

I had both hands done sequentially in late 2008/early 2009. Right (dominant) hand first and left hand 8 weeks later. In preparation for this, I'd done some lefty drawing and shooting and was confident in my 'weak hand' capabilities. I switched from my normal carry Hi-Power to a S&W 915 decocker and really had no problems at all. I'm sort of ambidextrous so using left hand was likely less an issue than it might be for others. Back then a decent holster could be found on ebay for $10-15 so that wasn't a problem either.
I would caution about 'cavalry carry' and draw. Several years ago, there was a guy killed while practicing/demonstrating drawing lefty from a right hand shoulder holster. There's almost no way to make such a draw even from a belt holster w/o sweeping your own body in the process.

Damn, here I've been doing the almost impossible for well over fifty years. But then I've had "experts" tell me the same thing about sweeping either myself or others with a cross draw. Oh, by the way, one of the reasons I carry cross, almost every day, is that it allow access to my right hand. But then I'm not an "expert". Actually like Emma, I'm just a talented amature.

Getduck

Bearcat
I carry cross draw on left hip for RH, most days because I spend a lot of time in a car. How does one cross draw and "sweep" ones own body??? I don't see that very possible

Last edited:

Threespears

Single-Sixer
I had both right and left done at the same time.

revolvers are your friends!!

i couldn't rack the slides on any of my semiautomatics.

i ha since acquired a lite eack for future issues

"I carry cross draw on left hip for RH, most days because I spend a lot of time in a car. How does one cross draw and "sweep" ones own body??? I don't see that very possible"
Try it lefty from a righty holster and see what happens. Unless your elbow has a different hinge than mine, there's no way to draw and present w/o pointing the muzzle at your body. :devilish:

Draw from holster. While pointing muzzle at ground rotate hand 180 degrees. Raise muzzle and point it forward.

Like all draws it takes practice to do it without out getting sloppy and sweeping yourself.

In an automatic safety comes off when firearm is pointing toward the target. Single action revolvers aren't cocked until the same. Finger of anything until you're ready to shoot.