Things are heating

Help Support Ruger Forum:

It's getting really ugly between crime and social unrest. In the last 18 hours there's been a break in of the Y down the street by an armed thief and my neighbors catalytic converter was stolen.

Mind you for the last 44 years this has been an area with very little crime. But since the DA won't prosecute these crimes they've become rampant everywhere.

As to social unrest, these animals don't want change they only want to loot an try to kill innocent folks. I watched on TV as Reginald Denny was dragged from his truck and beaten.

Even out in the boonies, things are becoming serious. Numerous rural area daylight 'smash and grab' burglaries. Constant car break ins in the bigger towns. Not long ago, I caught a 'Dude' trying to open my passenger side door to reach the backpack in the seat while I was pumping gas. I put the run on him but 15 minutes later I saw him cruising the Walmart parking lot looking for another prospect.
We don't leave the homestead w/o an AR and usually some sort of handgun strapped on--the 'varmints' are getting ambitious.

Seriously considering adding one of the AR9 PDW configuration to my work vehicle. Actually have more confidence in the 10.5" 300AAC but it produces far more ear damaging muzzle blast.

Hate to brag, but.... well, I am good at it.... for years I carried a Ruger P89 and Ruger PC9 carbine with folding stock in my work van. (same caliber and magazines) then I chose to get more in line with my user name here as well as my email .... so, I upgraded to a Glock 32 and ASR 'pistol (AR type receiver with 10" barrel and brace). Both in 357 Sig caliber and again they both take the same magazines.

This all started many years ago with my first gun purchase a Colt Trooper in 357 mag. I had watched the video taken from a news helicopter of the guy being drug out of his van and beaten during the LA riots and I made a personal decision: that if I ever turned a corner and a crowd of people made the decision to do that to me the first 5 or 6 that tried it, it would be the worst mistake they've ever made.

I'm at a 'fork in the trail' regarding what caliber I choose for my work vehicle PDW. The choices are 9mm w/8" barrel or 300AAC w/10.5" barrel. W/o any additional expense, I can swap out a folding stock on the 300 easier than on the 9mm due to the design of the 9mm bolt carrier. Another alternative is one of the 'no buffer' AR(ish) designs that allow a folding stock and have AR style controls. These are expensive and may require a different type of magazine.

I'm in agreement with Mobuck and Jeepnik, that between the crime and social unrest, there is more violence on the streets than I remember in my life. I'm starting to rethink what I carry. I've been Carrying a Taurus G3c which is a fine, reliable pistol, that's 12 + 1 ready, but these smaller guns have their weakness, and that being
1. how light they are their recoil doesn't make them as controllable. I don't notice it so much but I know I can double tap a medium frame gun, so much better.
2. Ease of use, it's just not there for these smaller guns with the smaller grips where your finger seems to go in too far, where you get a low and left shot, due to finger placement. It just happens unless you are diligent and effective on using your support hand.
3. They are actually less accurate, with the short sight radius and being more awkward to manipulate.
4. Lot's of people won't spend the time practicing due to the other issues, which isn't a good thing.
5. Acquiring a solid grip. We all know your initial grip is what determines where your first shot is going to go. You don't get that as naturally with a compact gun as you do with a full size gun, or at least something in the Glock 19 size. I've carried Ruger SR9's and S&W M&P 9's, a fair amount and they are quick to draw and go on target quicker. I like using my S&W SD9VE which actually is Glock 19 size and it works well for me. Capacity is good and if you are getting hits, if you need to you can go for head shots more confidently than with the smaller guns. You just don't know when you are going to have to take care of business. I'm not saying don't carry the smaller guns, because they are absolutely better than leaving your gun at home, but they just don't make things happen as naturally. I'll still sometimes carry my Taurus, because I will not be on the street, without something to protect myself and family, but truth is I don't have the same confidence.

I live and work in predominately rural areas--often alone in fairly remote spots. I have no expectations of assistance and must plan for those circumstances. A handgun is not well suited for these scenarios and even short barreled carbine can be difficult to maneuver inside a vehicle especially so with my bum shoulder. A folding stock AR 'pistol' provides more accuracy, power, and range even in 9mm. The 300AAC gives even more of all 3 at the expense of muzzle blast which is on the level of a 6" 357 magnum. If all goes well, the gun won't even be used and if it is needed, ringing my ears will be the least of my worries.
It's unfortunate that NFA regulations are so onerous. There's a huge gap in the suppressor catalog that could be filled by cheap, low use cans designed for limited use on these short barrel rifle/pistol SD guns IF it weren't for the disgustingly inefficient 'stamping' process. The manufacturers design/build for a lifetime of use which results in heavier and more expensive mufflers.

RRM

Single-Sixer
It's unfortunate that NFA regulations are so onerous. There's a huge gap in the suppressor catalog that could be filled by cheap, low use cans designed for limited use on these short barrel rifle/pistol SD guns IF it weren't for the disgustingly inefficient 'stamping' process. The manufacturers design/build for a lifetime of use which results in heavier and more expensive mufflers.

Yeah--imagine if you could at least have your can be non NFA. Integrated suppressed 8 inch barrel and telescoping stock on your SBR. Nice truck gun.

Yup, no question about it. For the purposes I stated, I'd gladly pay $200 for a lightweight suppressor knowing full well the can had a life of 1500-2000 rounds.
I finally found my AR 'pistol' lower with the Sylvan folding stock adaptor and have a 10.5" 300 upper mounted. Probably need to do more shooting with this and most likely change the optic from a $40 bargain basement model to a higher grade with a super long battery life.
From our experience using 10.5" 300 AAC on deer, this combination is adequate out to 150-200 yards. In a SD scenario at close range, this is devastating. Reduce the noise down to 100-110 decibels and it's a rock star.

"I'm at a 'fork in the trail' regarding what caliber I choose for my work vehicle PDW. "
For better or worse, the 10.5" 300AAC is mounted in my work pickup. After an hour of clambering around in the cab, I came up with a quite inobtrusive mounting solution which is both easy to access and defeats the 'window peeper' thieves. 110 grain V-max @ 2000fps from the short barrel is big medicine compared to a 9mm handgun. Current red dot optic is next question. I may upgrade that after some further consideration.

My 'gun mount' is basically invisible due to the slightly darker tinting of the rear side windows of my pickup. Even shining a flashlight in doesn't reveal anything 'gunlike'. My Chevy has 40/20/40 seats and the 20 section doesn't slide. Seat back is folded down for an armrest. The 10.5" AR with stock folded sits muzzle up against the lower part of this seat held in place by a pair of 'NOMARR' polyurethane bungies. These have a simple 'ball and slot' connection that requires little effort to release. A cheap bath towel color matched to the gray vehicle upholstery is folded at the bottom to provide a padded support for the rear of the receiver and then comes up and over the muzzle completely covering the gun. This provides concealment and prevents dust from settling on the gun.
For deployment, the loose end of the towel is flipped back, right hand releases the bungie leaving the hand positioned to grip the forend and bring the gun up and across the driver's body. All that's left to do is ensure the stock is locked in firing position and rack the bolt. I haven't timed the process but by guesstimate around 5 seconds at most. Similar access from the passenger seat.
Even with passengers in the rear seat, this doesn't inhibit use or access by driver or passengers nor does it interfere with seat adjustment or leg room for rear seat use.
Cost? NOMARR bungies--$3 for a pair. Cheap bath towel--$2-3(maybe less if you're patient-I wanted a towel the day I decided what to use and bought the cheapest one of correct color in Walmart).
I really want one of the 'no buffer' AR 9mm options but not going to spend $1K+ to have one at this time. Alternatively, I'm in the market for a CMMG delayed blowback 9mm AR conversion(currently unobtanium).
If Son and I get our grumbles sorted out, I'll try to get some pics added.

krw

Blackhawk
If you shoot someone too far your gonna het in trouble with the law. I fully believe my 5" CMMG Banshee with 147gr HP's is about the Cream. I do have a Sico Octane 9 suppressor for it. It uses Glock 9mm mags. It with a G19 in backpack with 6 xtra 24rd mags and 4 15rders fir the 19 ought to get me home. I have a stamped SBR with 10.5" 300 BlkOut upper but I like the Banshee more better

If/when I can assemble a combination of parts that gives me satisfactory function of the AR9 with the Sylvan Folding stock, I'll most likely swap to a 9mm 8" barrel upper with a KAK muzzle chamber.