CCW Safe, know of any case that they helped?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Years ago I started carrying CCW Safe as a just-in-case I ever need qualified help after a self defense shooting, and so far I have not ever called them. In part I chose CCW Safe because of the low cost, and the discount for former military or law enforcement, and because I was more than skeptical about the product then offered by the NRA. At the time I contacted the vendor (I don't recall what it was called) and asked if they could provide me with a list of attorney's in my area that might be called if I were to need assistance after a shooting incident. I was told that they only had one such attorney and they gave me his name. When I did a quick search about him, I found out that he was a lawyer who handled wills and estates, and not criminal defense at all, let alone expertise in 2nd Amendment issues.

So recently I have read about USCCA refusing to cover at least two self defense claimed shootings, and it made me wonder if CCW Safe would do the same if I ever needed them. My question here is: does anyone here know of a case where CCW Safe was involved, and if so, how did it go? Although my coverage with CCW Safe is not expensive, I hope that I am not just throwing money away on a case of false advertising and that if someday I need them, that they turn out to be less than helpful.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
All these companies have non-lawyers determining whether or not to you were justified and whether or not to cover you based on that. I have been a USCCA member for 8 years but do not know if I will renew. I also joined Attorneys on Retainer as a back up and may just stick with it

And if you do get charged, your membership is supposed to cover the cost of the lawyer that CCW Safe has provided. In effect it is legal insurance, and it is not, nor does it claim to be, liability insurance.

We all know that it is not in our interest to talk to the police. If involved in a self defense shooting, or even a self defense drawing of a firearm without actual firing the gun, the best course of action is to politely inform the police that you will make a full statement, but not right at that moment and that you want to confer with your attorney. Having CCW Safe coverage gives you a phone number to call immediately and supposedly they would have a qualified attorney advising you very quickly, and at no direct expense to you. My initial post was hoping to find someone here on the Forum who had their coverage and who had called them for personal assistance, and then for me to hear what happened next.

I know that an alternative would be to find a qualified criminal defense lawyer, ideally one with extensive 2nd Amendment expertise, locally and to make prior arrangements that should you ever need them, they will be ready to respond to your need immediately. I have never pursued this course of action since I know that to make such an arrangement will be very costly despite the likelihood that it will never be needed. Also, what happens if you are away from your home area and need legal assistance? So as a hedge, I pay the modest annual fee to CCW Safe and hope that I am not just throwing that money away and having a false sense of security.

epags

Single-Sixer
@vito - The following does not answer your question but I also asked about lawyers....here is what I asked:
"Good afternoon: I will be receiving my California CCW permit next Tuesday. I am a retired USAF officer and am strongly considering joining your Protector Plan. Understand requirement to provide DD form 214 and CCW permit #.
Question 1: When registering on line do I include photo of DDF 214 or should a copy be mailed to you?
Question 2: Is there a CCW Safe lawyer in the Oxnard/ Ventura California area?
Question 3: If question 2_is yes, is it feasible/ acceptable to meet and create a lawyer/ client relationship?"

NOTE: I asked this question in Aug 2019. His reply refers to a case of Thanksgiving 2018. Here is a partial reply (If you would like a copy of the full and lengthy reply PM me.) I doubt the forum would accommodate the size of the full reply.
"You are correct on the requirements and you can email a copy of the DD214 to [email protected] when you are ready. Your attorney is not chosen until the time of the incident therefore you will only be able to establish a relationship at that time. Here is how lawyers are chosen and more information on our service:
How do you choose attorneys? There are three scenarios in how a member gets an attorney…
A member that has no experience or idea how to choose an attorney is requested to allow the National Trial counsel to handle the entire process as in most cases we do not suggest someone that has taken a life to be burdened with the process.
A member that has worked with an experienced attorney, or simply knows of an attorney that has a great reputation in the are of self-defense shootings and use of force (with true trial experience) can request a certain attorney to be placed on their account as a "Preferred Attorney." All attorneys still have to be vetted by the National Trial Counsel before or after an incident occurs.
Lastly, a member could be presented a local attorney by the National Trial Counsel and do a secondary interview, following the vetting process, to determine if the attorney "feels right" and to verify there is no other attorney better suited for that type of incident; work with the National Trial Counsel to locate the right attorney.

Now, I must share that the last member we worked a deadly force case on (Thanksgiving 2018) had an attorney that he absolutely wanted to do his case. That attorney was one that met our standard of service, yet he was on vacation for two weeks. We made the decision to use an attorney that we have had success with in that area to get ahead of the charge. That attorney knew the homicide detectives assigned, the prosecutor and the local judges well. It proved to be the right decision as we just received a release of any criminal prosecution this week.
This is also the reason our National Trial Counsel stays in place as the liaison of the member. We want to make sure only the top attorney works your case and he will assist with defense strategy and assist the local attorneys where needed. He is also the one that would be in place if you had a conflict with your attorney and needed to step in to hire a new attorney on your behalf.

.......Quick Notes: CCW pays all cost up front 100% to include no caps or limits on criminal defense or civil defense. No reimbursement and no limit on attorney retainer. Expert Witness and investigator costs and fees covered completely. You are IMMEDIATELY patched into an attorney when the incident is reported. The Critical Response Team to include a former homicide detective and the National Trial Counsel is dispatched to your location if you are involved in a deadly force incident. You could choose your attorney to be vetted or we can professionally select the most experienced to defend you to remove the burden while you deal with the most traumatic experience of your life. The Critical Response Team will assist the local attorneys with your legal strategy, the hired investigators with the follow-up investigation, manage your case as your liaison, help to coordinate the bail/bond, expert witnesses and be there you and your family from the time the smoke clears until the conclusion of your last trial. "

Latest posts