Catastrophic failure S&W M&P Sport AR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Anyone see this video on youtube? Kind of scary. I'm waiting for my tax return with the intention of purchasing said rifle. I've heard nothing but good things about this entry-level AR. Anyone heard otherwise? This was apparently a squib situation. Wow. I guess this can happen to any gun.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
It does look like a squib.

The video wouldn't stop me at all from buying the S&W if I wanted one. There was enough that went on to cause a pause and check for an obstruction, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoZnCxqa4QA

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
Anyone who trips off another round after a squib (and they are easy to tell what they are...) is someone who to consider some training or a swift kick in the backside.

I have a Smith AR Sporrt and can say I am very impressed with it. So far 100% reliability and very accurate. I have ran everything from 40 grains up to 69 grains through it and all have shot great.

Cant blame a gun for what happens when a squib load is fired and another shot fired afterwards.

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
No issue with the rifle. Firing a high pressure centerfire cartridge in a weapon with an obstructed barrel nets you one of several predictable results. None of them are really very good.

RR

Bearcat
+1 here, when that round hung up he should have made sure all was well before continuing, and , I'm not just saying that in hind sight either, I once fired a subsonic .223 round and it just didn't sound right, I ran a quick check of everything and found that the bullet was still lodged in the barrel I took out the cleaning kit from the butt stock and pushed the stuck round out before continuing, imagine what would have happened had i not ran the check??

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Ltdshooter said:
Anyone who trips off another round after a squib (and they are easy to tell what they are...) is someone who to consider some training or a swift kick in the backside.

+100! A perfect case to show that not everyone should own and operate a firearm. Not so much "training" but some solid fundamental knowledge intake.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Read the comments, they're funny. Guy shooting says he thought it was a FTF. ....OOPS. ...better check that case you just ejected. If it ain't got a bullet on top it is most likely stuck in the barrel.

quote> @Halleybomb Your a moron dude. im not a mall ninja im a 4 year veteran and am active duty marine corps. the malfunction was a squib round which means the bullet never left the barrel, there was no audable "pop" when the squib occured so at the time i assumed it was a bad primer. in this situation the proper procedure is to "tap, rack, bang" which is what i did, and am trained to do. go troll someone else or better yet quit attempting to troll youtube altogether and learn something about an AR. <end quote :shock: :shock:

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
quote> @Halleybomb Your a moron dude. im not a mall ninja im a 4 year veteran and am active duty marine corps. the malfunction was a squib round which means the bullet never left the barrel, there was no audable "pop" when the squib occured so at the time i assumed it was a bad primer. in this situation the proper procedure is to "tap, rack, bang" which is what i did, and am trained to do. go troll someone else or better yet quit attempting to troll youtube altogether and learn something about an AR. <end quote :shock: :shock:

Proper response to this is "Your AR blew up, mine didn't.".

However, he may have a point on procedure when engaged in combat or combat training. This didn't look like combat training to me. He assumed a bad primer but didn't bother to check. This was an avoidable outcome.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Quattroclick said:
He assumed a bad primer but didn't bother to check. This was an avoidable outcome.
Yep. When revolver shooting it is real easy to squeeze the trigger again after a FTF, but one would be foolish to do so. The proper thing to do is wait a minute and then eject the round and check it. You can try again to shoot a FTF round but again be careful. 8) 8)

welder

Buckeye
What Jimbo said. I have had a few dozen FTFs and in each case I give em plenty of down range time and then eject them into the grass away from me.