Can You Handle The .44 Magnum?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RRM

Single-Sixer
BUT the best IMHO is the Dan Wesson Vent Heavy Barrel.

Never shot that one, but love the old DWs. I bought a SRH in 480 Ruger that had an aftermarket shortened and heavier barrel installed. It's a virtual pussycat. That heavy barrel really seems to help out.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
The Ruger SBH with the Dragoon grip and squared trigger guard is a murderous thing to my right hand. I just won't shoot them.

I've fired a Vaquero with the ugly rubber baby buggy bumpers that hurt like pavement burns. Had it had it's wood grips it would have been a nice shooting pistol.

The S&W wood grips that Skeeter liked cause me no end of discomfort to the inside of my right thumb, but put Pachmayrs on it and all is well . Go figure.

The one and only 44 Mag I shot that was really comfortable was a German made SA. A Hawes Western Marshal I think. It had a regular Colt SA shaped grip frame with a rounded trigger guard and was comfortable to shoot. We were shooting the Win white box 240gr JSPs.

Like I said go figure.

Joe

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
FWIW , the Western Marshal was mfg by JP Sauer . Essentially the same gun is still around as the EAA Big Bore Bounty Hunter .

whymhot

Bearcat
I have a Smith 629 and shoot it often. Like the other gentleman I reload on the lighter side for targets. I, also, replaced the factory grips with Pachmayr grips that completely cover the grip backstrap. The grips have helped.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I have a Smith 629 and shoot it often. Like the other gentleman I reload on the lighter side for targets. I, also, replaced the factory grips with Pachmayr grips that completely cover the grip backstrap. The grips have helped.
I had a 629 that seemed to have the sharpest checkering I've ever remember seeing. Switching them out for Pachmayers made a huge difference.

kcsteve

Single-Sixer
Shoot a few rounds of S&W 500 and the 44 Mag won’t feel bad at all.

Hvymax

Single-Sixer
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• IMAG0476.jpg
    IMAG0476.jpg
    830.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0474.jpg
    IMAG0474.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0475.jpg
    IMAG0475.jpg