Can You Handle The .44 Magnum?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RRM

Single-Sixer
BUT the best IMHO is the Dan Wesson Vent Heavy Barrel.

Never shot that one, but love the old DWs. I bought a SRH in 480 Ruger that had an aftermarket shortened and heavier barrel installed. It's a virtual pussycat. That heavy barrel really seems to help out.

The Ruger SBH with the Dragoon grip and squared trigger guard is a murderous thing to my right hand. I just won't shoot them.

I've fired a Vaquero with the ugly rubber baby buggy bumpers that hurt like pavement burns. Had it had it's wood grips it would have been a nice shooting pistol.

The S&W wood grips that Skeeter liked cause me no end of discomfort to the inside of my right thumb, but put Pachmayrs on it and all is well . Go figure.

The one and only 44 Mag I shot that was really comfortable was a German made SA. A Hawes Western Marshal I think. It had a regular Colt SA shaped grip frame with a rounded trigger guard and was comfortable to shoot. We were shooting the Win white box 240gr JSPs.

Like I said go figure.

Joe

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
FWIW , the Western Marshal was mfg by JP Sauer . Essentially the same gun is still around as the EAA Big Bore Bounty Hunter .

whymhot

Bearcat
I have a Smith 629 and shoot it often. Like the other gentleman I reload on the lighter side for targets. I, also, replaced the factory grips with Pachmayr grips that completely cover the grip backstrap. The grips have helped.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I have a Smith 629 and shoot it often. Like the other gentleman I reload on the lighter side for targets. I, also, replaced the factory grips with Pachmayr grips that completely cover the grip backstrap. The grips have helped.
I had a 629 that seemed to have the sharpest checkering I've ever remember seeing. Switching them out for Pachmayers made a huge difference.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• IMAG0476.jpg
    IMAG0476.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0474.jpg
    IMAG0474.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMAG0475.jpg
    IMAG0475.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 61

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
It's a handful with hot loads, but some of the biggest smiles I've ever seen came right after someone's first shot with a hot load.
Everyone knows about +P loads. I have worked up some -P loads that are hotter than Specials, but less than full house factory. They are very "satisfying" to set off, but not so punishing that it discourages me from blamming off 50 rounds.

I'm not sure why everyone is blaming the gun. A standard 240-250 grain at about 875-1000 fps will handle anything in America. But people read too many bullet stories and too many internet stories to understand what actually works. Not to mention if someone can handle the recoil of a certain load they are going to shoot it better, than one that has more muzzle flip and recoil that is comfortable to them.

It also makes a difference in how much you shoot the gun. If you only shoot it once or twice a year and one cylinder full or less won't keep you capable of handling certain situations.

Shoot what you can handle and stay competent and you will be able to handle the situation. Plus shooting will be more fun.

tbone

Single-Sixer
I have 3 S&W 44 mags and one SBH . Just bought a 4" S&W 69 , 5 shot on the L frame. Put 50 through it last Wed. Really like that gun ! Its not bad to shoot at all. But I didn't put anything heavy through it yet.

Paul B

Hunter
I used to shoot my .44 Mags pretty regularly, mostly with Elmer's and Skeete's load of 22.0gr./24500 and 240/250 gr. bullet. Starting in 2020 I was in a bad car wreck, heart attack in 2021 and cancer in 2022. I just haven't been able to get out and shoot anything. I'm supposed to be through with the radiation a couple days before Christmas. With luck, maybe I can take up shooting again right after the New year. Fingers be crossed.

I got interested in comparing the recoil with the SBH grips versus the Bisley style. Frankly, I think I like the Bisley style a bit better than the SBH. One of my SBH came with a 4 5/8" barrel and standard BH grip frame. I'd love to convert that one to the Bisley configuration. Probably never happen a I doubt I'll be able to hike either the mountains or desert anymore. Between the wreck and health problems, not to mention I'm 84 years olds, just don't think it's in the cards. My head says for it but the bod says shut up.

I can remember when shooting 100 rounds of full loads was considered a short days fun. Guess I'll find out if I can still shoot a few come the first of the year.
Paul B.

tbone

Single-Sixer
I used to shoot my .44 Mags pretty regularly, mostly with Elmer's and Skeete's load of 22.0gr./24500 and 240/250 gr. bullet. Starting in 2020 I was in a bad car wreck, heart attack in 2021 and cancer in 2022. I just haven't been able to get out and shoot anything. I'm supposed to be through with the radiation a couple days before Christmas. With luck, maybe I can take up shooting again right after the New year. Fingers be crossed.

I got interested in comparing the recoil with the SBH grips versus the Bisley style. Frankly, I think I like the Bisley style a bit better than the SBH. One of my SBH came with a 4 5/8" barrel and standard BH grip frame. I'd love to convert that one to the Bisley configuration. Probably never happen a I doubt I'll be able to hike either the mountains or desert anymore. Between the wreck and health problems, not to mention I'm 84 years olds, just don't think it's in the cards. My head says for it but the bod says shut up.

I can remember when shooting 100 rounds of full loads was considered a short days fun. Guess I'll find out if I can still shoot a few come the first of the year.
Paul B.
You have been having a few bad years. Keep up the fight ! Wishing you the best.

Latest posts