Can You Handle The .44 Magnum?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nrobe50

Buckeye
I used to shoot 44 mags but with my 70 year old arthritic hands the 44 special feels a lot better. I did shoot a 460 smith one time and that was more than enough for me. 38-40, 44-40, 44 special and 45 Colt are my favorites.

led

Single-Sixer
Short answer is no. The recoil is just to much. I've owned a 5.5 inch Redhawk, a 9 1/2 inch Super Redhawk and a Desert Eagle. I didn't enjoy shooting any of them. I do miss the 5.5 inch Redhawk. I loved the way it looked.

Later,
Stephen

WV460hunter

Single-Sixer
I'm not sure why everyone is blaming the gun. A standard 240-250 grain at about 875-1000 fps will handle anything in America. But people read too many bullet stories and too many internet stories to understand what actually works. Not to mention if someone can handle the recoil of a certain load they are going to shoot it better, than one that has more muzzle flip and recoil that is comfortable to them.

It also makes a difference in how much you shoot the gun. If you only shoot it once or twice a year and one cylinder full or less won't keep you capable of handling certain
Shoot what you can handle and stay competent and you will be able to handle the situation. Plus shooting will be more fun.
I completely agree , I will say that the first revolver was a 22LR and I worked my way through several calibers through the years before settling on my current one. 22-38-357-44-45-454-460. I like the last one the best due to versatility. But the 44 mag. I have a fondness for but currently don't have one 🙃

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I've had a couple of 454s. The Taurus was a pussycat with full loads. The custom SBH was a little much (2" groups @ 10 yards then I start to flinch). My 44 Rugers are "OK"; I prefer 44 spl. REALLY hated a 4" model 29 with Hogue combat grips.

I carry an OM Blackhawk with heavy cast 45 Colt loads for bears.

Not everybody feels recoil the same.

WV460hunter

Single-Sixer
That is true I have noticed recoil is dependant upon the user. I for instance am always saying these grips are too small cause I got big hands. I used hammers and drove spikes everyday of my life for 11 yrs. when I worked on the railroad so heavy hitting recoil isn't really a bother to me. I have found that I can shoot about 20 rounds of 460 with 335 gr. Cast loaded just under max before my hands start saying okay knuckle head that's enough.

dannyd

Buckeye
I shoot 44 magnum and 44 Special out of this.

B1EA17CB-10EE-4036-9D8F-12E6BA67E942.jpeg

Have gun-will travel

Single-Sixer
My uncle taught me how to shoot. He had an old model Super Blackhawk 7 1/2 in Barrel 44 mag. Always shot hand loads. He cast his bullets 240 gr Keith bullet . Which was loaded over 22 grains of 2400 powder. It was a handful for a 14 year old 125 pound skinny kid What a rush . After shooting it the first time I was hooked.. When I was old enough to buy one all I could find was a new model. 40 years later I found an unmolested like new old model 4 clicks . Happy to pay asking price of $500. Went home and started loading 200 rounds of his cast bullets like the above recipe. Then went out and shot 50 rounds a day , 4 days in a row. The smile was back on my face. Still have that smile after another 20 years.
IMG_20180418_161018375.jpg

Last edited:

tward

Bearcat
My uncle taught me how to shoot. He had an old model Super Blackhawk 7 1/2 in Barrel 44 mag. Always shout hand loads. He cast his bullets 240 gr Keith bullet . Which was loaded over 22 grains of 2400 powder. It was a handful for a 14 year old 125 skinny kid What a rush . After shooting it the first time I was hooked.. when I was old enough to buy one all I could find was a new model. 40 years later I found an unmolested like new old model 4 clicks . Happy to pay asking price of $500. Went home and started loading 200 rounds of his cast bullets like the above recipe. That went out and shot 50 rounds a day , 4 days in a row. The smile was back on my face. Still have that smile after another 20 years.View attachment 12710
I bought a used SBH with the 4.6 in Bbl and round trigger guard. I haven't used 44 mag in it yet, just 44 specials. It's a joy to shoot with the specials! My other 44 special is a Bulldog. I also have a Contender in 44 mag.

Paul B

Hunter
"I bought a used SBH with the 4.6 in Bbl and round trigger guard. I haven't used 44 mag in it yet, just 44 specials. It's a joy to shoot with the specials! My other 44 special is a Bulldog. I also have a Contender in 44 mag."

I have that model SBH. With a full power Elmer Keith load it will get your attention. It's nice with Skeeter's load of 7.5 gr. Unique in .44 Spl. brass. I use the full, power loads when hiking in the local mountains. We have bears and Mountain Lions that sometimes show signs of aggression.
Paul B.

kcsteve

Single-Sixer
I use a motorcycle gel padded fingerless glove when I shoot the big boys. It takes the sting out of shooting the magnums. Found them on Amazon.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Have a Ruger Bisley Vaquero in 44 Mag. Can I handle it with full house loads? Yep. But don't really like to after 20 rounds or so. When I got it I shot the "big boy loads" to get brass and a feel for her and then I went to work on a cast bullet load. She liked 8.5 grs. of Unique with a Lyman 250 gr. LSWC at 950 fps. Filed the front sight in for that load and never shot anything in her since. Don't need to. That load will do anything I'll ever ask of it.

The Preacher

cZfqfgu.jpg

Hankus

Single-Sixer
I use a motorcycle gel padded fingerless glove when I shoot the big boys. It takes the sting out of shooting the magnums. Found them on Amazon.
Do you have a link for those gloves? I was just looking for one for shooting my .454 Casull Super RedHawk and my .357 SP101. I did a couple of quick searches online and couldn't find any that had gel where I need it, at the base of my thumb. All I saw were "tacticool" gloves where the knuckles are padded …