Camping Gun Recommendations

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Wolvee":383taday said:
I now am the proud owner of a Glock 20. That's my new camp guns. :0)
Good choice.

Was in the gun shop some time ago when a "timber cruiser" (talk about a dream job; drive an ATV around the woods all day marking timber) came in looking for a new gun. He'd seen cougar in the woods and wanted some big medicine, but wasn't too keen on carrying a 4lb .44 mag on his hip all day. Ended up with a G20, and I couldn't fault his logic.

-- Sam

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I might make one comment, regarding brown bears..
In the eyes of many hunters up here, it is more important to break bones than hit vitals.
A big bear can do a lot of damage in the few seconds or minutes it takes to die. But a broken shoulder is a broken shoulder.
I have two friends here who both shot small brownies last spring. Both hunters used .375 calibers, and both had good vitals shots on their first shot.. Both bears went down, and immediately bounced back up, very angry and looking for the source of the pain. Fortuantely in both cases, shot number two put them back down.
Granted the need for big bear protection is needed only in a few area's, but something to consider..
I think that any of the calibers .357 or above would be suitable in most situations... I don't like the noise of the .357, which for me is it's main detraction.
As far as putting meat in the pot.. Well that would be a "survival situation" and there the gloves come off... Use anything, and everything at your disposal.

regars y'all

reuben..

A

Anonymous

Yosemite Sam":2fa9irya said:
Wolvee":2fa9irya said:
I now am the proud owner of a Glock 20. That's my new camp guns. :0)
Good choice.

Was in the gun shop some time ago when a "timber cruiser" (talk about a dream job; drive an ATV around the woods all day marking timber) came in looking for a new gun. He'd seen cougar in the woods and wanted some big medicine, but wasn't too keen on carrying a 4lb .44 mag on his hip all day. Ended up with a G20, and I couldn't fault his logic.

-- Sam

It's a bit large even for my hands but very manageable. I was surprised on how smooth it shot.

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
My choice for a camp gun would be the Ruger Redhawk in 44 Magnum.
There's also the option to use the lighter 44 Special loads.

If I were in an area that had absolutely no concern of bear encounters, then the 45 Colt of some sort would be a choice...Ruger has fine double and single actions to choose from in this caliber.

A 22 caliber, whether rifle or revolver, is also good company...as stated earlier, one of the most useful for food gathering in a survival situation.

MD

No doubt plenty of good advice. IMHO a 45 colt in a Redhawk not a cheap gun but I think it's your best choice. 45 makes a big hole you can shoot mild to wild full powerhouse loads. The key to a camping gun is Practice the gun is only as good as you are. The main thing is confidence!!! ps

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
Not to insult cause I have many Rugers but my camp gun is the XDSC in .40. Small enough to carry, 9 rounds of pretty hot hollowpoints and accurate. My play gun is a .357 Blackhawk and I love shooting it plus wifey and I both have LCR's for concealed.

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
Can't begin to tell you what you should do, but I will say this. In Ruger single-actions, a .45 Colt Vaquero in a 4 5/8" barrel is about the very PEAK of power:weight ratio. I have a New Model Flat-top .357 conversion to .44 Special (a 50th Flat-top), and IT is heavier than my .45 Colt Vaquero, at least on my kitchen scale. Only an ounce or so, but still heavier. Yet I can put Buffalo Bore 'nuclear' .45 Colt loads in that Vaquero, and i've clocked BB's 300gr .45 Colt out of that Vaquero at ~1250fps.

You can do similar with a 44 Mag Vaquero, for only a little more weight. But, for the absolute highest power:weight, the .45 Colt is it. But DON'T try that in a New Vaquero; you gotta find a Vaquero, which isn't easy anymore, I believe.

smokehouse

Bearcat
I'm not sure I could recommend that lightweight S&W .44...that thing is beyond brutal to shoot (look up reviews)...I consider that a CCW firearm, not a hiking gun. That thing (the 329PD) weighs in at 26oz...WAY too light for a .44mag. Sure, with tons of time you might master it but I strongly doubt you want to spend that much time breaking your wrist in order to learn it. Then there's the flinch factor that comes with that punishment...

Honestly, I say go with the .44 alaskan...a full on .44 mag is a great bear stopper, far better than most factory load .45 colt rounds which tend to be overly light (a 250gr Speer gold dot .45 is rated at 750fps...a 240gr .44 mag in the same brand is 1400fps...just sayin'). You can load it down to .44spcl and the gun weighs in at 41oz...not too much for back packing...

Personal opinions though...take them for what they are...

BearBio

Buckeye
outlaw_dogboy":21m48v3b said:
Can't begin to tell you what you should do, but I will say this. In Ruger single-actions, a .45 Colt Vaquero in a 4 5/8" barrel is about the very PEAK of power:weight ratio. I have a New Model Flat-top .357 conversion to .44 Special (a 50th Flat-top), and IT is heavier than my .45 Colt Vaquero, at least on my kitchen scale. Only an ounce or so, but still heavier. Yet I can put Buffalo Bore 'nuclear' .45 Colt loads in that Vaquero, and i've clocked BB's 300gr .45 Colt out of that Vaquero at ~1250fps.

You can do similar with a 44 Mag Vaquero, for only a little more weight. But, for the absolute highest power:weight, the .45 Colt is it. But DON'T try that in a New Vaquero; you gotta find a Vaquero, which isn't easy anymore, I believe.

Almost exactly what I carry in grizzly country. Mine is a 3.5 inch Vaquero (converted birdshead). Those 45's can be murder on the web of your hand, so you might want to see about a Bisley. However, better a "bite" on the hand from a pistol than one on your face from a grizzly!

(I'm re-reading Steve Herrero's book, if you cant't tell!)

perterra

Bearcat
Your likely to have more trouble with two legged creatures than four legs. Your not likely going to be able to open carry inside any park you may visit.

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
perterra":15qjk8ah said:
Your likely to have more trouble with two legged creatures than four legs. Your not likely going to be able to open carry inside any park you may visit.

Please be aware to educate between the differences in National Forest and State and/or National Parks.

In National Forests, there would be more opportunity for firearms carry, however you also need to research existing hunting regulations.

I am not certain how the recent changes in National Parks carry pertians to "open carry". A lot will depend on if the park is in an open carry State. For instance, the laws may be one way for Virginia and North Carolina (open carry States), but different for South Carolina (not an open carry State)

Regards,

MD

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
BearBio":5jlq02jj said:
Those 45's can be murder on the web of your hand, so you might want to see about a Bisley. However, better a "bite" on the hand from a pistol than one on your face from a grizzly!

I don't have any problem with them and the web of my hand. I DO have a problem with them in a Bisley gripped revolver; I've tried it. TERRIBLE pain in both my middle knuckle, and to a lesser extent the web of my hand. I realize I'm in the minority w.r.t. the Bisley grip, but I will never have another one on a shooter. They look nice, but are horrendous for me to shoot. I'm guessing it is because my hands are small. Dunno. I DO appreciate the suggestion, though, because I understand the thought behind it. :)

BearBio

Buckeye
outlaw_dogboy":1shuckpy said:
BearBio":1shuckpy said:
Those 45's can be murder on the web of your hand, so you might want to see about a Bisley. However, better a "bite" on the hand from a pistol than one on your face from a grizzly!

I don't have any problem with them and the web of my hand. I DO have a problem with them in a Bisley gripped revolver; I've tried it. TERRIBLE pain in both my middle knuckle, and to a lesser extent the web of my hand. I realize I'm in the minority w.r.t. the Bisley grip, but I will never have another one on a shooter. They look nice, but are horrendous for me to shoot. I'm guessing it is because my hands are small. Dunno. I DO appreciate the suggestion, though, because I understand the thought behind it. :)

See, I'm the opposite. But I have relatively large & thin hands. I think they are ugly and I only have them on my "bear" gun. All my others are "plow" handles, which do bite. However, I think the original Colt Bisleys are beautiful guns.