Bought .22 ammo at Wal-Mart lately?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cagedodger

Bearcat
Not a Ruger (money's tight right now) but I got my son, who turns 16 Aug. 20, a Heritage Arms .22 LR / .22 Mag. revolver for his birthday.

It looks well made and has the adjustable Hi-Viz sights. And cost less than 1/2 the price of a Single-Six.

I went to Wal-Mart to get some ammo to go with it.

On two separate trips, I bought 100 rounds .22 Mag. and 500 rounds of .22 LR.

Both times they asked me if it was for a handgun.

Why do they need to know? I told them no.

If they are gathering information, I figured I'd give them mis-information.

I told one clerk it was for shooting, the other it was for a slingshot.

Anybody else have this same experience? Do you know why they ask this question?

Cage

Snake45

Hawkeye
They've been asking it at mine for almost a decade. I have no idea why. I always say no. It's none of their friggen bidness.

Sometime I'm gonna ask if the dollars I pay for the ammo are gonna be used to buy American products, and see how they like it. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

MoeMOA

Bearcat
In California (The land of too many gun laws.) You can't buy handgun ammo if you are under 21 years of age. Maybe that's why they ask?

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
Back in the '70s I can remember buying ammo at a sporting goods store and rifle ammo was pay your money and leave but ammo for a handgun was recorded prior to sale and you had to show ID.

cagedodger

Bearcat
MoeMOA said:
In California (The land of too many gun laws.) You can't buy handgun ammo if you are under 21 years of age. Maybe that's why they ask?

They also mentioned the "under 21" part, but that's not the reason for the other question.

It's been a long time since I've had to show ID to prove I'm over 21. (I'm 53)

One of the clerks did ask if I was 21 and I replied, "A couple of times".

I'm still curious why Wal-Mart wants to know if it's for a handgun or a rifle...

And why some Wal-Marts don't ask, as reported above.

Maybe it's a Texas thing. Anybody from Texas have the same experience?

Cage

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
I have not purchased ammo at Walmart for about two years now. The have raised their prices so high that I can get ammo cheaper at my local gun store (who I would rather support anyway). I kinda remember them asking if the ammow was for a pistol. I always told them no.

norfolknova

Single-Sixer
They are told to ask everyone, even if you are 50 and look 40. Most of the employees are mindless and they are told to ask everyone, they are told if they don't aske everyone that they will lose their job. It only has to do with you have to be over 21 to buy hand gun ammo, and over 18 for rifle ammo.

They do not know how to think for themselves

matt

cagedodger

Bearcat
norfolknova said:
They are told to ask everyone, even if you are 50 and look 40. Most of the employees are mindless and they are told to ask everyone, they are told if they don't aske everyone that they will lose their job. It only has to do with you have to be over 21 to buy hand gun ammo, and over 18 for rifle ammo.

They do not know how to think for themselves

matt

I think matt has the answer:

"Is it for a handgun?"
"Yes"
"Are you over 21?"

or

"Is it for a rifle?"
"Yes"
"Are you over 18?"

Store policy to comply with the law: they have to ask everyone, even a 80 year old grandpa.

I get it now...

Cage

dlh38or45

Single-Sixer
Years ago I worked at a store chain called "Yellow Front". Back then, and I think it is the same now, Federal law required an ammo purchaser to be at least 18 years old for rifle ammo, and 21 for handgun ammo.We were required to card if the person looked under 18 and ask if ammo which could be used in either rifle or handgun was going to be used in which firearm, and card appropriately.

In the case of Walmart, with so many employees who know nothing about firearms, prompts come up on the computer when ammo is rung up:

"Will this be used in a handgun or rifle?"
"Is the purchaser over 18 or 21?"

I suspect that is what is going on.

DLH

MoeMOA

Bearcat
I'm still chuckling about "slingshot" ... you got some cagey answers cagedodger!

Snake45

Hawkeye
onehandgunner said:
Back in the '70s I can remember buying ammo at a sporting goods store and rifle ammo was pay your money and leave but ammo for a handgun was recorded prior to sale and you had to show ID.
Yeah, that was the law of the land before I think 1986.

Snake45

Hawkeye
MoeMOA said:
I'm still chuckling about "slingshot" ... you got some cagey answers cagedodger!
Tell them "No, I'm just gonna break them down and make a pipe bomb out of them." :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Or, "No, I just wanna throw a few of them in my neighbor's BBQ grille once in a while." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cagedodger

Bearcat
dlh38or45 said:
In the case of Walmart, with so many employees who know nothing about firearms, prompts come up on the computer when ammo is rung up: "Will this be used in a handgun or rifle?" "Is the purchaser over 18 or 21?"

I suspect that is what is going on.

DLH

That is exactly what happened; they were prompted by the cash register.

Cage

hammie

Single-Sixer
A couple of ears ago, the local wal-mart had a sale on winchester AA shotshells. I asked the wife to pick up several boxes of 28 gauge (usually expensive and hard to find). Since shotshells are not stocked "behind the counter", she just put the boxes in her cart with the DVD, groceries, etc. At the front checkout, as soon as the first box of shotshells was scanned, the clerk had to stop and ask her if she was over 18. Since she is 60, she thought they were joking.

So, it's a computer prompt thing for everyone. Rightly or wrongly, wal-mart thinks their employees are mindless idiots.

Snake45

Hawkeye
mjpchief said:
I tell them it's neither. I don't shoot 'em. I just collect 'em.
Or tell 'em, "I just want them for trading currency after the coming economic collapse." :twisted:

CraigC

Hawkeye
You have to be 21 to buy handgun ammo and .22LR can be used in either. That's the only reason. Best to just answer with whatever gets you out of the store quickest.